Foot on the brake

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I quite like the lane detector warning but have it switched off in town driving. I also like the sensor that warns me if it detects that I am closing on the vehicle in front too quickly.
my car has a collision warning if you get to close to the car in front.

on a recent trip up the M62 a car joined the motorway and jumped two lanes he cut me up and my car detected this and slammed the brakes on.

although I seen him and had lifted off he was traveling faster and would have just pulled away from me, but the brakes in my car had slowed me down so much that it put me in danger from traffic behind me catching up rapidly.

there is a place for all this technology but when some cars have it and some don't there is the obvious flaw HUMANS.

The first thing they should sort with technology is stopping drivers using phones.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
How does the law see that as you would still be in charge of the vehicle if alone.
The law would have to change

Sure, but if the whole point of driverless cars is that they are safer, then having the driver sat away from any controls has to be a good thing, surely?

If the driver can influence, or alter what the car does, it ceases to be self driving, and must also cease to be as safe.

Google or who ever would be responsible for the car, and me sat in the back, and what ever happens to us, or there is no point.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sure, but if the whole point of driverless cars is that they are safer, then having the driver sat away from any controls has to be a good thing, surely?

If the driver can influence, or alter what the car does, it ceases to be self driving, and must also cease to be as safe.

Google or who ever would be responsible for the car, and me sat in the back, and what ever happens to us, or there is no point.
Totally agree but the law would still have to change I think any lawyers out there.
I think it's just me I don't like the idea of a robot car.
i would just go to a closer pub.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As far as I am aware, you cannot turn off hill start assist on your car Rich.
I have it on my Qashqai, and despite a "menu system" that reads like a check list for a NASA launch, there is nowhere in there that enables me to do so.
My friend from VW has confirmed that some of the cars in the VW range have AUTO HOLD, which is not the same as the system used on my Qashqai, or of any other electronic parking brake that I have heard of. It's certainly a new one on me. And yes, the brake lights are meant to stay on. But as I say, this is not the same system as a dedicated electronic parking brake, which has basically replaced the old fashioned, familiar type of manual handbrake. My Qashqai also has hill start assist, and for all I know the brakes lights may stay on when this comes into play. I've never noticed to be honest, but I do know that they don't stay on when I apply my electronic handbrake/parking brake call it what you will.
As for when I'm sitting in heavy traffic or waiting at traffic lights I too will use my common sense (yes I have some).
If the lights are turning red as I approach, and I know that I am likely to be sitting stationary for a minute or so, I will employ the use of my handbrake. Same with a level crossing. If the barriers are just going down, I apply my handbrake, again because I know that I am going to be sitting there for a while.
I do this all the time, but am more aware of the situation during the hours of darkness/rain.
It's not so bad for the driver behind when it's daylight, but in the dark and the wet, while you are cocooned in your air conditioned tin box, oblivious to the world around you with your foot on your footbrake, take a look through your rear view mirror at the person sitting in the car behind you. They will be lit up like a Christmas tree, courtesy of your bright red brake lights. 3 times more lit up than if you had your rear fog light on (because most modern cars only have one of those, whereas they have 3 or more brake lights of the same wattage).
I put my handbrake on out of common courtesy to the person sitting behind, because I know how it annoys me.
To get annoyed, or to take offence because somebody is pointing this common courtesy out to you says a lot about your general attitude to motoring. Sorry.

Just found out of VW technical guy the Auto Hold function works by holding the pressure in the braking system even when you take your foot of the pedal.
so as the system is pressurised the lights stay on.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Having been the front car of a 4 car shunt where the offending car went into the car (stationary) in front of him, writing his off, the car he initially hit as well as severly damaging the car in front of that that was then pushed into me, I can testify that although yes its normal practice to claim off the veihicle that goes into the back of you (especially when youre stationary) the insurance companies will pass the costs down the line so in the end you are no fault, and the the car that was the instigator or the whole event is the one that carries the can. The guy that caused mine ended up having all 4 cars costs against his poilicy, which was 2 write offs (1 being his own) plus 2 repairs.

Thats a good news storey. Be great if it was the norm!

I think you'll find it is.

D

Deleted member 18588

No. I have found its not! Hence my post. But cheers for the input.

It was in my case when a "paper hat" in a Merc on the M42 ran into the back of my car shunting it into the car in front of mine.

His and mine written off and the front vehicle suffered major damage. All recovered from the Merc's insurers.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
No. I have found its not! Hence my post. But cheers for the input.

Perhaps you'd be kind enough to explain why it isn't the norm then, as I'm struggling to think of a reason why, in the circumstances provided, it would be down to anyone other than the tail end charlie?