Flexibility 2

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Watching a video last night from a Tour pro on driving and the main thing I got from it and why many amateurs just can’t drive as well and as far is down to flexibility.

Going on myself and from someone who suffers from a stiff back I would say his turn was twice as far as mine.

Recently in the gym I have been putting a broom handle across my shoulders behind my head and doing turns back and forward.

There are two ways I do this
1. Doing the turn where I get up into a full swing position which makes it easier.
2.Keeping my hips solid and turning my top half against my hips,boy oh boy what a difference,I feel I’m going to snap my back.

Hopefully a few weeks down the line I might get more flexible and improve my turn.
It might help loosen me up and get a bit more distance.

Try it and see how flexible you are.
Hope it makes sense

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I've struggled with lower back pain which has impaired flexibility and, during a flare up, my ability to even get on the course. As a last resort I took up pilates and it's been a complete revelation. Having done it twice weekly for 6 months now my flare ups are now almost non-existent and my flexibility is hugely improved. For the first time in years I'm actually hitting balls at the range instead of protecting my back and I'm looking forward to warmer weather and actually playing a decent amount rather than picking and choosing rounds based on what I think I can handle/tolerate!!

For anyone in a similar position, really, give it a go!

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Don't just work on stretching this motion, but also work on strengthening it.

Most people are tight and stiff, but also they are not strong enough to use the range of motion they do have. So for example, in the rotation exercise mentioned, if you can pull your rotation further round when you grab onto something, although gaining flexibility will help. gaining strength so the muscles in your torso can provide the same force of pull as when you assist will also help.

When it comes to mobility people focus on stretching and always forget the strength aspect. Strength will not only work as described above, but a stronger muscle will be more relaxed for a given amount of force production.

Wolf

Visit site
What Dibby says is pretty much correct. I'd also recommend if it's lower back issues looking at increasing the mobility and strength of your hamstrings and gluteus, 2 common areas that are under developed and have huge impact on the lumber spine region especially in something as dynamic as a golf swing. That's probably one of the reasons road2ruin feels better as all these areas are worked on in pilates (a great choice of class to take BTW)

If your looking just to improve turn there are so many more things you can do in the gym than just using a broom handle, use cable machines as resistance will add tension for strength and you will have to control the force. Also the exercises J55ttc suggest are well with A look at to

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Could you guys add some insta clips or YouTube videos of these exercises if it's not too much trouble.

Really taken to the gym this last while. Keeps me fit enough to play. Without it I would be a crock.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
For my age 53 I’m pretty fit have my own cable crossover machine which I use regularly.
Also have a concept 2 rower which I love doing.
Had some back spasms about 3 or 4 months ago so have gone from 4 minutes twice a week to 25 minutes 4 times a week.
Have lots of free weights also.

The reason I started the thread was to show just how far behind the pros is amateurs are.
Too late at my age to worry to be honest.

Robin Hood

Visit site
Don't just work on stretching this motion, but also work on strengthening it.

Most people are tight and stiff, but also they are not strong enough to use the range of motion they do have. So for example, in the rotation exercise mentioned, if you can pull your rotation further round when you grab onto something, although gaining flexibility will help. gaining strength so the muscles in your torso can provide the same force of pull as when you assist will also help.

When it comes to mobility people focus on stretching and always forget the strength aspect. Strength will not only work as described above, but a stronger muscle will be more relaxed for a given amount of force production.
Fully agree with Dibby.
A great way to strengthen your core muscles is with a large excercise ball (sometimes called a Swiss Ball) they are readily available (eg Tescos) and just look on YouTube for the appropriate excercise for you.
Quick, cheap and no need to join a gym.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For my age 53 I’m pretty fit have my own cable crossover machine which I use regularly.
Also have a concept 2 rower which I love doing.
Had some back spasms about 3 or 4 months ago so have gone from 4 minutes twice a week to 25 minutes 4 times a week.
Have lots of free weights also.

The reason I started the thread was to show just how far behind the pros is amateurs are.
Too late at my age to worry to be honest.

Justin rose apparently does an hours stretching every day. That's not including any weights.

We don't really have the time for that dedication but if we can copy it a bit it won't hurt.

D

Deleted member 17920

Could you guys add some insta clips or YouTube videos of these exercises if it's not too much trouble.

Really taken to the gym this last while. Keeps me fit enough to play. Without it I would be a crock.
Gaz, go and see a proper strength and conditioning coach who will give you an assessment then a structured package to fit you.

It’s an eye opener and worth every penny

D

Deleted member 17920

100% true and accurate.
After seeing the results our strength and conditioning coach has produced with the clients he coaches it’s a no brainer.

Dan in our shop tried to do it from YouTube and he got it all wrong. He has now seen the light.

Wolf

Visit site
After seeing the results our strength and conditioning coach has produced with the clients he coaches it’s a no brainer.

Dan in our shop tried to do it from YouTube and he got it all wrong. He has now seen the light.
Obviously I'm going to preach this as being a must because I am a strength and conditioning coach.

Your lad that tried the YouTube way as many do will struggle it's like golf we trust our progression and swings to coaches to improve how we move a lump of metal round our bodies for fun yet so many think paying for a personal trainer or strength and conditioning coach (someone more advanced than a PT) is a waste of money and can do it without help. Yet our bodies surely are more important and precious than our golf swing.

A good S&C will add so much benefit to way of life, Health and the game of Golf.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
Yoga and or Pilates. Defo worth invetsigating. I have found Yoga very beneficial, it's not just chanting and standing like a tree......... :)

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Not everyone can afford to get an assessment done.

I need some advice on stretching and becoming more flexible but I certainly won't be paying someone for it. I'll follow some programme off the internet. We