Flags and Rakes

Visit site
I haven't read every post, so this may have been touched on. Yesterday, I had the shadow of the flag flapping around right on my ball. Extremely off putting. To avoid that, I would always want the flag out.

D

Deleted member 3432

We went back to flags out and rakes a few weeks ago when SG said it was advisory. I think Weare keeping the relief in bunkers as people still have the option not to rake and after the last few games notmany are raking by the looks of it. I believe we will have ball waters and shoe cleaner back this week too.

Can't imagine shoe cleaner gets much use with all that lovely dry links turf.....

Never used ours but the one at my old parkland got some serious use ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All I can say is I'm not hugely looking forward to getting up again after bending down that extra 3 inches to the bottom of the cup...

One the first things I noticed today.

The other thing was how much damage was being done to holes already and we went out a 11.00am.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our place today was rakes back in play and grabbable, but unlike most clubs we kept them in play throughout this last year anyway. We had to buy a personal sleeve to fit over the rake handle or a rake head attachment for a club. Most visitors were very surprised to find we weren't doing 6-inches pick and place. Just kept using my sleeve. Pain in the derierre but used to it now.

Flags could be removed too and I did this once I got within - I dunno - say, 12 feet. Putted much better too and holed a lot more. I hated playing to a pin-in from a few feet away, with a foam rubber bit nestling just below the rim. Also the old friendly plonk and rattle of the ball hitting the bottom of the cup was restored. I did make a point of grabbing the flagstick a lot lower down than I would have done normally and used hand sanitiser quite a few times on the round.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 23270

One the first things I noticed today.

The other thing was how much damage was being done to holes already and we went out a 11.00am.
Well that is down to careless members, nothing to do with removing flagsticks. You should have a word with them.

sunshine

Visit site
Our place today was rakes back in play and grabbable, but unlike most clubs we kept them in play throughout this last year anyway. We had to buy a personal sleeve to fit over the rake handle or a rake head attachment for a club. Most visitors were very surprised to find we weren't doing 6-inches pick and place. Just kept using my sleeve. Pain in the derierre but used to it now.

I've not heard of this approach before. Sounds like a rake condom.

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
From today, we will be able to remove the flag and rake bunkers, although still be able to lift and place in the bunker for those who don't feel comfortable touching rakes. I wonder how many will be doing this.

The touching of the rake is after the shot, so wether you are comfortable with it or not the placing rule should be for everyone. If some people aren’t going to be raking after their shot.

Our bunkers are poor up to now as the rake attachments are not solid enough to rake deeper than about an inch. Therefore all the sand below is solid.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The touching of the rake is after the shot, so wether you are comfortable with it or not the placing rule should be for everyone. If some people aren’t going to be raking after their shot.

Our bunkers are poor up to now as the rake attachments are not solid enough to rake deeper than about an inch. Therefore all the sand below is solid.

Are the greenkeepers not raking them properly?

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Are the greenkeepers not raking them properly?

They have been doing them in the morning, but after that they soon get trampled on and not many people have answered the call for purchasing a plastic rake head, let alone actually use them.
Also green staff have far too much grass to cut at the moment to worry about bunkers that players can place in them. I haven’t played yet since rakes were put back yesterday, but as we are no longer able to place anymore I’m hopeful of a good improvement.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They have been doing them in the morning, but after that they soon get trampled on and not many people have answered the call for purchasing a plastic rake head, let alone actually use them.
Also green staff have far too much grass to cut at the moment to worry about bunkers that players can place in them. I haven’t played yet since rakes were put back yesterday, but as we are no longer able to place anymore I’m hopeful of a good improvement.

One of the things I noticed yesterday is that all bunkers have been give a light raking to make them look good but what they need is a heavy deep raking to loosen up the sub sand which has become quite compacted.

D

Deleted member 3432

Flags staying in and no rakes at ours.

Can't say I'm particularly bothered, got used to it now and most members are incapable of using the rake properly anyway.

Appears we have realised we can't run comps like this so rakes are going back in tomorrow and do want you want with the flag.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
First comp today under the 'new' old rules, it was heavenly. Smashing a short one into the back of the hole, fearless I was. And the sound of the ball hitting the bottom of the cup, brought tears to my eyes.

They can keep their rakes though. Found a bunker on the first. The ball was sat on sand that looked like it had been raked by the greens staff earlier. Turns out it was only a comb over though, zero sand under the ball resulting in a thin completely over the green.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the things I noticed yesterday is that all bunkers have been give a light raking to make them look good but what they need is a heavy deep raking to loosen up the sub sand which has become quite compacted.
Yes, we have a small rotovater to do this it’s brilliant.