Flag in/out ruling

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Guys I know this is the lazy way of finding out but your all so good at putting it in laymans terms :)

I always thought the flag had to stay in if you were off the green, but watching the women the other day one of them took it out as she chipped on.

Is there a penalty for hitting the flag if you are on the green and the flag is still in?

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Rule 17.1

'Before making a stroke from anywhere on the course, the player may have the flagstick attended, removed or held up to indicate the position of the hole.'

If the flagstick is not attended, removed or held up before the player makes a stroke, it must not be attended, removed or held up during the stroke or while the player’s ball is in motion if doing so might influence the movement of the ball.

Note 1: If the flagstick is in the hole and anyone stands near it while a stroke is being made, he is deemed to be attending the flagstick.

Note 2: If, prior to the stroke, the flagstick is attended, removed or held up by anyone with the player’s knowledge and he makes no objection, the player is deemed to have authorised it.

Note 3: If anyone attends or holds up the flagstick while a stroke is being made, he is deemed to be attending the flagstick until the ball comes to rest.

Rule 17.3

The player’s ball must not strike:
a. The flagstick when it is attended, removed or held up;
b. The person attending or holding up the flagstick or anything carried by him; or
c. The flagstick in the hole, unattended, when the stroke has been made on the putting green.

Exception: When the flagstick is attended, removed or held up without the player’s authority – see Rule 17-2.

PENALTY FOR BREACH OF RULE 17-3:
Match play – Loss of hole; Stroke play – Two strokes and the ball must be played as it lies.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cheers Viscount, thats a great help.

Other Day I was chipping on a par 3 and the Bro in law took the flag out ( I didn't want him too) I always leave it in, the ball ran over the hole and jumped out, i was convincd with it in it would of dropped.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I always have the pin out if I am chipping. The hole looks bigger. I also have the hump if I hit the pin and the ball doesn't drop, because the gap between the pin and the edge of the hole is a lot smaller than when the pin is out.

EchtLoon

Challenge Tour Pro
www.thehomeofpoker.co.uk
PElz did research on this, and determined pin in was better in the long run.

I think the theory is that especially on direct hits, the ball is more likely to drop when overhit, whereas with no pin it will jump or lip out, or even sail over the hole completely

ColinR

Head Pro
Visit site
Great thread. I have always wondered about this. I often feel like asking someone to attend or take the pin out when I am just off the green but did not think it was allowed.

It is amazing how you can assume the wrong things.

Thanks.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I prefer it out. It is just a personal preference. I also like people to say nothing while the putt or chip is rolling. I have this weird superstition that if some idiot says 'that's in', then it never goes, even if it looked dead centre 3" from the hole.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I prefer it out. It is just a personal preference. I also like people to say nothing while the putt or chip is rolling. I have this weird superstition that if some idiot says 'that's in', then it never goes, even if it looked dead centre 3" from the hole.

note for Wednesday ' how to beat murph' :D

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

I think the theory is that especially on direct hits, the ball is more likely to drop when overhit, whereas with no pin it will jump or lip out, or even sail over the hole completely
See what you mean, Echtloon, but I don't know if it's always the case. I've seen golfers have the flag out for a short uphill chip and knocked it in. Especially if the wind is against.

EchtLoon

Challenge Tour Pro
www.thehomeofpoker.co.uk

See what you mean, Echtloon, but I don't know if it's always the case. I've seen golfers have the flag out for a short uphill chip and knocked it in. Especially if the wind is against.
I don;t know if it's the case either. it sure seems like the flag keeps the ball out more oftne than it helps it in, that said of course, it's possible that those that stay out would have stayed out anyway.

One thing for sure, I certainly often take the flag out if I'm close to the pin, even if chipping.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was convinced that my chip would of dropped if the flag had been in. I have just spent an hour on the green bumping win a seven. Some holes flags some didn't. The majority of over hit shots that hit the flag either fell in or stayed close enough for a tap in. The ones with out left a few nasty 3 footers. Flag infor me.

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
I generally leave the flag in. Don't like it attended unless I am on the green and can't see the hole from where i am (long putts)
Also don't like comments while ball is in motion and don't comment on partners putt until after it has stopped. I have in the past but when it looks in a "good putt" quoted only for it to roll 6-8 foot past it makes you look foolish.

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Where chipping is concerned with flag in the ball if on line has at least 50/50 chance of going in almost regardless of pace but it also has the additional % benefit of hitting it and staying near the hole.Hitting with flag out requires not just accuracy but exacting pace almost like a putt. Hit one a little hot one time and you will be begging the flag to be there.lol.