Fitting frustrations. Anyone had similar?

sjw

Visit site
I went today to PXG London South for the driver fitting that I bought in the H4H auction. Came away with mixed feelings....

To get straight to the point, I haven't come away specced for a new driver.

After a brief discussion about what my miss was etc, I hit a few shots with my current driver. They were either solid shots that I would be happy with on the course, or a bit leaky right. I was having real trouble finding the middle of the club face consistently, which has been my problem recently.

Unfortunately, the same happened with every combination he fit me into. Heavier, lighter, shorter shafts all came and went and the result was the same. What I did find was that, while I was suffering with a heely strike, the consistency of strike points with the stiffer shafts he was fitting me into was much better. But everything was either straight then right, or starting right and going further right. I just could NOT hit anything left, even if I tried my absolute hardest.

What was interesting to see was my numbers, which I'd never seen before with driver. The miss was caused not by super high spin but by super high launch, caused my my lower body firing too quickly and getting stuck under the ball, which meant a high push. I have an attack angle of about 8 degrees up, and a low point about 8 inches before the ball. I tried everything, from standing further to the ball, closer, taller, but every time my swing won out - I was never going to change it in the 90 minutes I was in there.

The fitting became more of a lesson, and what was really annoying was I could understand what he was trying to tell me, and I'd felt good swings on the course before, but today I just couldn't get my body to put it into practice.

In the end, I think I hit ONE ball that out-performed my current driver, but it outperformed it by some distance, so I do think that it is in there somewhere and I just have to harness it.

It's frustrating for a few reasons:

1) I had a 2 hour drive to get there
2) I did feel a little frustrated that I wasn't just fit FOR my swing - i felt like a lower loft/closed head would have helped, but maybe the club couldn't be closed more, I don't know
3) It means that the conscious effort I've put into practicing hitting up on the ball has led to me going too far the other way and now I'm going to have to work on bringing it back down

However, on the flip side:

1) I'm glad I wasn't just fit for the sake of it
2) I now have my number and know what to work on
3) I'm grateful for the patience shown and the non-pushy sales from the fitter
4) They made a good cup of tea

I'm told that it happens reasonably often that people go away and come back another day - but the guy's mouth dropped open at the end as I was about to leave when I said I'd travelled from north of Cambridge

Anyone else had similar experiences that can make me feel a bit better?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
So what happens now, given that you effectively already paid for a driver? 🤔

A couple of years ago, I heard all the talk about Orka irons and their fittings, so I went for a fitting with them. That was about a 50 minute drive to their HQ I think. I then had the worst swing day imaginable, shanking 40% of them, knifing it, you name it. After about 15 minutes of the hour I asked was there really any point in continuing, and he said, "honestly, no not really". Thankfully he didn't charge me for the fitting which was really nice of him, he said just come back another day. Obviously I never returned because it was too embarrassing.

sjw

Visit site
So what happens now, given that you effectively already paid for a driver? 🤔

A couple of years ago, I heard all the talk about Orka irons and their fittings, so I went for a fitting with them. That was about a 50 minute drive to their HQ I think. I then had the worst swing day imaginable, shanking 40% of them, knifing it, you name it. After about 15 minutes of the hour I asked was there really any point in continuing, and he said, "honestly, no not really". Thankfully he didn't charge me for the fitting which was really nice of him, he said just come back another day. Obviously I never returned because it was too embarrassing.
I still have the voucher, so I'll go back at a later date. It just wasn't my day, I think. Didn't feel comfortable over anything, was RIDICULOUSLY hot in the room (he went to check the air con after about 45 minutes and it was set to 26) and the worse I was swinging, the less likely I was to get a good strike.

I can already see what'll happen - I'll go to the range this week and start striking the ball much better without knowing what I'm doing differently

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It happens and a good fitter will never push a fit that isn't right. I would perhaps suggest a driver lesson and get the launch angle and strike sorted so you are more consistent on the course and at the fitting

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I still have the voucher, so I'll go back at a later date. It just wasn't my day, I think. Didn't feel comfortable over anything, was RIDICULOUSLY hot in the room (he went to check the air con after about 45 minutes and it was set to 26) and the worse I was swinging, the less likely I was to get a good strike.

I can already see what'll happen - I'll go to the range this week and start striking the ball much better without knowing what I'm doing differently

Sounds about right for people who try to think of air con as normal heating! Took awhile to explain to my wife that 20 degree on it would be fine. It is direct heat rather than heating the walls etc. no wonder you got hot. Especially with the movement for golf

After my first lesson on the SIM I started going in shorts in mid winter as I get why the pro wants the air con in heat as he isn't moving..I'd rather have it on cool still