Fitted Clubs

Watski

Hacker
Visit site
Hi again,

Previously I was playing with a set of MX-23's which I had stolen in May (were stolen from me, not that I'd stolen) - these weren't fitted, just off the peg and were my first clubs on taking up the game 2 years ago. I was advised to just play and find my style first, then think about spending money on game improvement once I'd started to learn more about my game.

Whilst trying to sort my claim out I borrowed an old set of Wilson Staffs from my brother, that were his old clubs at least 4 years ago. After getting used to them I found that I was hitting them about 2 clubs further than my old, stolen ones. e,g from 150 yards I used to hit either 6 or 7, with the Wilsons it was 8 or 9 - I know its not always about distance, but with this extra yardage I also got good ball flight and better control.

I recieved my new MX200s from the insurance about a month ago, again straight off the peg as they were insurance sourced through Direct Golf. Now I'm back to my old yardages and am finding that I've brought in a bit of a fade too - probably as a result of trying to hit the ball too hard to keep up with my interim yardages. I've actually considered just using the Wilsons and getting rid of the 200s.

It's frustrating me enough now to go and get them fitted properly though, which I've booked in for this week and will hopefully sort me out - but my question is about whether you think I just struck lucky with a set of clubs that fitted my style (the Wilson ones) or whether the more cutting edge technology of today leaves behind golfers whose games arent advanced enough to benefit from it.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
How far they go isn't the important part, it's reliably hitting them that distance every time.

I changed from Ping eye2s to my MP 60s and lost approx 12 yards per club but, if I make a half decent contact, I know that the dispersion with my new clubs will be an awful lot tighter then with my older big hitting ones!!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Wilson are notorious for strong lofts. If you look up the specs for both sets of clubs on the interweb, you will probably find the 8i in the Wilsons is actually at least a 7i, if not a 6i in the zunos.

A 7i is not always a 7i.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes, I could go and buy a set of W/S irons and experience the same thing. :)

The issue is how well you hit the club and the flight/trajectory too.

When I got my recent Mizunos I was surprised at the loss of distance and high flight compared to my previous.

Now I love them.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Also, think about it this way...

If your Mizuno SW goes 80yds and the Wilson one goes 110, if you stick with the Wilsons everything under 110yds is a partial shot which is harder to judge distance than a full shot.
If you use the Mizunos only less than 80yds is a partial shot.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Wislon were one of the first to start strenghtening the lofts (Fat Dog I think it was branded as - fat shaft technology anyway) and its a trend that many especially TM have followed. As long as you know how far you hit each club I wouldn't worry too much on the distance but would be more interested in how wide the dispersal is. If the Mizuno are grouped closer together but 10 yards shorter I know which I'd choose.