Fishing tackle

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
River or Stillwater?

Silvers respond pretty well to pole fishing. Now my preferred method.
Need the right tackle though.

Not sure its either, its a pool thats filled by a natural stream. Owned by a mate of my dads. Unfortuantely, the majority of the silvers and "good fish" seem to have been culled over the last 10 years by otters. There only seemed to be predators left in there!

Id probably be going to a local stillwater for the upcoming trip.

I used to do a lot of my fishing with a 3m whip pole, we have a large range of kit from carp rods with strong line to short match rods we use for the local canal!

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
No, definitely not. Do you mean Horseshoe Lake in Lechlade, the one run by the Carp Society? If so I have fished that a couple times as I used to live nearby in Swindon. I blanked though :p.

I lived in Cricklade 90-97 and didn't fish any of the lakes there or at the Water Park. I was also a few hundred yards from the Thames, and didn't fish.

Going to hit the Wye when the season starts. Also going to check out some ponds nearby Devauden next week...just up the road

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
So im off fishing again this saturday! New venue - new tactics!

Venue - https://www.cobhouse.org/fishing/ - which pool would you fish?

Its a well stocked (very well stocked im told) venue that has carp bursting from the seams apparently. My current plan of attack is as follows:

1 bottom ledger rod, pop up high oil pellet, regular baiting around a few areas with pellets to try and attract some fish to my swim. Ive never fished with hair rigs before but ive done a lot of research and its a tactic I want to become more familiar with.

1 float rod - hoping for some fun with silvers on this! Maggot & corn as hook baits mostly.

What tactics would you use?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site

Its a well stocked (very well stocked im told) venue that has carp bursting from the seams apparently. My current plan of attack is as follows:

1 bottom ledger rod, pop up high oil pellet, regular baiting around a few areas with pellets to try and attract some fish to my swim. Ive never fished with hair rigs before but ive done a lot of research and its a tactic I want to become more familiar with.

1 float rod - hoping for some fun with silvers on this! Maggot & corn as hook baits mostly.

The water is too cold to be using high oil bait. This time of year I'd be fishing worm or maggot and corn for the Carp over brown crumb with a water based attraction (such as korda goo). The fish are looking for warm water so don't fish the deepest part of the lake

Swinglowandslow

Visit site

Maybe two carp setups might be better, or even just one, if it has so many carp .
I say this because if they start going, you will be hard pushed to handle two rods with carp on at the same time. That is not good. It isn't fair to the fish, because if you miss a run it will likely get snagged etc.
The same re silvers rod. Carp don't know it is just for silvers? So you may have snapped lines, again not good for the fish.
Some of these venues are overstocked in order to almost guarantee catches.
When you see dedicated carp anglers with two or three rods out, they are invariably on waters where one fish per hour is a bonanza, and the problems above almost never happen. They wouldn't fish like that in some of the carp "puddles" that there are about now.
In any event, have a good day.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
The water is too cold to be using high oil bait. This time of year I'd be fishing worm or maggot and corn for the Carp over brown crumb with a water based attraction (such as korda goo). The fish are looking for warm water so don't fish the deepest part of the lake

Top advice! Cheers!

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Maybe two carp setups might be better, or even just one, if it has so many carp .
I say this because if they start going, you will be hard pushed to handle two rods with carp on at the same time. That is not good. It isn't fair to the fish, because if you miss a run it will likely get snagged etc.
The same re silvers rod. Carp don't know it is just for silvers? So you may have snapped lines, again not good for the fish.
Some of these venues are overstocked in order to almost guarantee catches.
When you see dedicated carp anglers with two or three rods out, they are invariably on waters where one fish per hour is a bonanza, and the problems above almost never happen. They wouldn't fish like that in some of the carp "puddles" that there are about now.
In any event, have a good day.

Honestly carp isnt my big pull - any fish is at the moment! I understand the thought process, but id rather catch 10 silvers than 1 4lb carp, so its got to be 2! :ROFLMAO:

There are 2 lakes here which are carp puddles apprently.. I plan to fish one of the other lakes! Is it really mega easy to catch in the puddles?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Honestly carp isnt my big pull - any fish is at the moment! I understand the thought process, but id rather catch 10 silvers than 1 4lb carp, so its got to be 2! :ROFLMAO:

There are 2 lakes here which are carp puddles apprently.. I plan to fish one of the other lakes! Is it really mega easy to catch in the puddles?

Aha, I went on your description of bursting at the seams with carp.
Aka, carp puddles.
A silvers setup in such a venue could lead to many carp getting hooked and break offs!
It is wise to fish for silvers in non carp puddles.?

Last edited:

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Well, what a day Saturday was - decent amounts of rain but that couldn’t put us off getting out to the lake!

50 fish.. 50! 7 Silvers, 2 F1’s and 41 carp! Biggest was around 10lbs (pictured below)

Amazing day, cannot wait to go back!!

Attachments

• 5395408B-EDB1-411B-A103-5ECED6880418.jpeg
    5395408B-EDB1-411B-A103-5ECED6880418.jpeg
    554.8 KB · Views: 12

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Aha, I went on your description of bursting at the seams with carp.
Aka, carp puddles.
A silvers setup in such a venue could lead to many carp getting hooked and break offs!
It is wise to fish for silvers in non carp puddles.?

It really was carp soup! Even in the mixed pools!

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well, what a day Saturday was - decent amounts of rain but that couldn’t put us off getting out to the lake!

50 fish.. 50! 7 Silvers, 2 F1’s and 41 carp! Biggest was around 10lbs (pictured below)

Amazing day, cannot wait to go back!!
Cracking day mate. Well done. Sounds like it wasn't a relaxing day.
I do think you need to buy some scales though ?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Cracking day mate. Well done. Sounds like it wasn't a relaxing day.
I do think you need to buy some scales though ?

Not relaxing at all, was an absolute fish fest.

I own scales cheers mate! I tried uploading multiple images - obviously didnt work :ROFLMAO: That was a nice mirror though! 10lber was a common!

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Ive joined a local angling club now.. access to the fishing lake about 2 minutes from my front door on farmers land. The beauty of this is 1) £70 a year subs 2) fishing whenever I fancy it!

Restocked last year with 200 carp its a match pool mainly but they do have a few good sized carp - up to 30lbs, Bream to 10lbs plus silvers. Unfotunately no tench im told - one fish im yet to catch!

What would be your approach to a new lake, try out all the swims (approx 30) to find your favourite spot or just choose daily on where seems active?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
OOOOOOOO Ive never caught a barbel but hear the fishing nearby for them is pretty good! I expect pics for the boys!

I haven't caught many barbel, but the first one I hooked I was" trotting "the river. Never forget it. I was on a highish bank and not far out. The fish was clearly a good 'un. The float came slowly back towards me and I thought I was winning. But the fish was still deep. Then when it got level with me it just kept going. Couldn't lift it at all . On and on it went then the line gave.
It was just like hooking a slow moving train on the bottom.
They are very strong fish. Very strong.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Ive joined a local angling club now.. access to the fishing lake about 2 minutes from my front door on farmers land. The beauty of this is 1) £70 a year subs 2) fishing whenever I fancy it!

Restocked last year with 200 carp its a match pool mainly but they do have a few good sized carp - up to 30lbs, Bream to 10lbs plus silvers. Unfotunately no tench im told - one fish im yet to catch!

What would be your approach to a new lake, try out all the swims (approx 30) to find your favourite spot or just choose daily on where seems active?

Carp that big in a match pool? Decide which you are going for, personally I'd set out for the carp. Boilies or pellets. If there are big bream like that, they too will have pellets and boilies, especially smaller boilies
Bream love ( need) groundbait. Look up how to do that accurately. Can make all the difference to the catch rate.
Fish away from snagging areas.
Normally fish at the end to which the wind is blowing ( Thermocline effect),
Unless , like me, comfort comes first?.
But as you are raring to catch, no doubt you can put up with the wind.

Try to find a tench water. Loveliest fish there is. Tench fishing is the best way to fish, the most aesthetically satisfying. Nothing like it.
Good luck.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Carp that big in a match pool? Decide which you are going for, personally I'd set out for the carp. Boilies or pellets. If there are big bream like that, they too will have pellets and boilies, especially smaller boilies
Bream love ( need) groundbait. Look up how to do that accurately. Can make all the difference to the catch rate.
Fish away from snagging areas.
Normally fish at the end to which the wind is blowing ( Thermocline effect),
Unless , like me, comfort comes first?.
But as you are raring to catch, no doubt you can put up with the wind.

Try to find a tench water. Loveliest fish there is. Tench fishing is the best way to fish, the most aesthetically satisfying. Nothing like it.
Good luck.

Yeah so theres a new bunch of guys running it to when I was a member there as a junior and they've turned it into more of a match pool, but its a good size pool and they have 3 very well sized carp in there from times gone by!

I remember my dad catching a tench when I was around 14, fabulous fish and so silky smooth, its one for my hit list for sure! I feel like this year i'll be more of a mixed angler just looking to get some variety with my catches!

Thanks for the tips mate! Much appreciated and exactly what im after! I look forward to sharing some of my better catches with you!