Fishing tackle

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I'm similar. All my tackle from when I was a kid came with me every house move.

Now I've got back into it and I'm there with some 1970s Mitchell 300 reels and fibre glass rods. I use bits if grass to keep bait in the hooks and all sorts of old school stuff.

Carp puddle fishing seems to have taken over... and good grief!!! Spods? Bait-boats??

Maybe I am the Crow of fishing?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I'm similar. All my tackle from when I was a kid came with me every house move.

Now I've got back into it and I'm there with some 1970s Mitchell 300 reels and fibre glass rods. I use bits if grass to keep bait in the hooks and all sorts of old school stuff.

Carp puddle fishing seems to have taken over... and good grief!!! Spods? Bait-boats??

Maybe I am the Crow of fishing?

The modern day fishing set ups pretty much blow my mind.. I am keen to try fishing pop ups and PVA bags for carp though!

IanM

Journeyman Pro
I use hair-rigs on hooks and I tried a "method-feeder" recently, but wasn't impressed.

As Smiffy said, free-lined luncheon meat for carp is deadly. (meat baits, boilies and floating baits are banned are banned on my local commercial) We go on hols to a place near Bradworthy with its own pond that no one else fishes and it is excellent. Get up early and float crust near the lily-pads works a treat, and it is a great way to fish.

I live in the Wye Valley, so a barbel session is long overdue! Proper fishing, none of this shoulder to should in an oversized aquarium!

Last edited:

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I use hair-rigs on hooks and I tried a "method-feeder" recently, but wasn't impressed.

As Smiffy said, free-lined luncheon meat for carp is deadly. (meat baits, boilies and floating baits are banned are banned on my local commercial) We go on hols to a place near Bradworthy with its own pond that no one else fishes and it is excellent. Get up early and float crust near the lily-pads works a treat, and it is a great way to fish.

I live in the Wye Valley, so a barbel session is long overdue! Proper fishing, none of this shoulder to should in an oversized aquarium!

Well that doesnt leave you much to fish with! Theres a few lakes round here like that, tend to be the fisheries that rear their own fish.

Going in to the unknown this weekend in unfished waters - im keen to have a few approaches in the bag, if one isnt working, ill try another!

Got my ledger rod set up last night to bottom feed, going to set up a float rig and a free line too, then play around on the day!

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Freelined luncheon meat. Can't beat it. Although I use boilies these days but if you're just after a bit of "sport" you can't beat luncheon meat or bacon grill.

Floating crust ............................. it's just so exciting!
Oh, watch out for ducks!

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site

I don't fish any more but I have a loft full of tackle from 'back in the day'.
Mitchell 300s, 410s and a Mitchell Match with a finger dab bale arm.
A couple of Bruce & Walker CTM 13 match rods, a couple of Bruce & Walker MKIV carp rods and much, much more!
But ....................... what to do with it all?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I don't fish any more but I have a loft full of tackle from 'back in the day'.
Mitchell 300s, 410s and a Mitchell Match with a finger dab bale arm.
A couple of Bruce & Walker CTM 13 match rods, a couple of Bruce & Walker MKIV carp rods and much, much more!
But ....................... what to do with it all?

Crack it back out for the GM forum fishing trip it seems we need to arrange this summer! :ROFLMAO:

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bruce and Walker... .now you are talking. How much do you want for the Mitchell Match? I wanted one back then, but the "paper-round" earnings would not stretch to it! :)

We need to find a decent golf course with fishing on site!! That would be a fun trip
I bought it from the great S R Jeffrey & Sons back in the '70s.
I think if I was to sell my tackle, it would be as a complete lot, rather than bits and pieces.
I have no idea what any of it is worth.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
I bought it from the great S R Jeffrey & Sons back in the '70s.
I think if I was to sell my tackle, it would be as a complete lot, rather than bits and pieces.
I have no idea what any of it is worth.

Jeffreys???????????????????? wow.... me too! About the same time! Loved that place. I used to walk down in my school lunch break and look at all the stuff they had in there. Proper old sports shop. It had a lovel smell about it. Glass cabinets full of floats and trout flies.

Bought my first proper cricket bat in there, a Gunn & Moore.

Also, do you remember Guildford Angling Centre. opened mid 1970s, was it in Haydon Place?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site

Aha, shoulder to shoulder, eh? Know what you mean, don't like it.
But
the S to S I did like was match fishing. Too old now, but back in the day....?.
Mind you, talk about tension. Team match fishing is something else. Saw a grown man cry once( in frustration). It was a hard match with lots of blanks, and all he needed was one fish for his team to win the national competition.
Tried everything. His runner was egging him on. He didn't make it.
It was the knowledge that he was letting his team down that got to him.

Left all that behind now, ifvthey bite, they bite- if they don't, then the countryside is enough.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Jeffreys???????????????????? wow.... me too! About the same time! Loved that place. I used to walk down in my school lunch break and look at all the stuff they had in there. Proper old sports shop. It had a lovel smell about it. Glass cabinets full of floats and trout flies.

Bought my first proper cricket bat in there, a Gunn & Moore.

Also, do you remember Guildford Angling Centre. opened mid 1970s, was it in Haydon Place?

Yeah, I remember it well.
I bought a Pete Drennan Tench Float Rod from them, that's also in my loft!
As you went there in your lunch hour, I'm guessing you went to RGS.
I could only manage Godalming Grammar School.
Jeffreys is where I lived every Saturday .......................... best shop ever.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yep. Born in St Lukes, Burpham school, then RGS 75-82

Haven't lived in the area since 88.

Racking my brain, was John Bailey the guy who ran Guildford Angling Centre?

It certainly was a John, not sure of his surname though.
RGS '75-'92, you're just a nipper.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Good thread!!

I have fished since I was about 6, so almost 50 years now. Golf was a relatively recent pastime for me, now about 15 years!

Have fished matches most of my life, up to National Championship level and travelled miles when I was younger and involved in team fishing. I have also dabbled with carp fishing, but was too impatient to sit out for days for one big fish. More recently I have taken to barbel fishing, spending a week or more on the Severn each year - next trip planned for June. My favourite freshwater fish no doubt - they don't half pull back!!

Having recently retired and relocated to the Fydle coast I have now succumbed and bought some sea fishing gear. As the beach is 5 minutes away and you can get free bait, it was an attraction I couldn't resist any longer. I like the fact I can go for a few hours when the tide is right and don't have to carry the massive amount of gear needed for coarse match fishing. Its also a bonus that you can park close by!!