Fishing tackle

andycap

Head Pro
Visit site
I recently got all my old fishing gear out and although the appeal to spend the amount of time fishing as i used to is not there , i just love going out , travelling light . Mostly spinning/ lures after perch and pike , but have also had chub and barbel. Still using Mitchell 324 reels that ive had since childhood . My tackle box was still full of lead shot ! always used peacock quill for floats and rod rests were made from copper pipe ( dad was a plumber) , No matter what gear you have , half the battle is reading the water , looking for fish , looking for signs , the old methods still work and its greatly satisfying to catch fish like that .

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
DO NOT LAY FISH ON A WET TOWEL!!!!!! A fish is supposed to be placed In the hand or if big enough on a unhooking mat that is smooth. A wet towel removes the slime off the fish. A fishes slime is its immune system. You are likely to be kicked off a lake for such actions. Especially carp lakes.

I stand corrected. I use an unhooking mat, wetted . I said towel believing that the OP ,just starting ,wouldn't have a unhooking mat.
But you're right, mustn't remove the slime.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I recently got all my old fishing gear out and although the appeal to spend the amount of time fishing as i used to is not there , i just love going out , travelling light . Mostly spinning/ lures after perch and pike , but have also had chub and barbel. Still using Mitchell 324 reels that ive had since childhood . My tackle box was still full of lead shot ! always used peacock quill for floats and rod rests were made from copper pipe ( dad was a plumber) , No matter what gear you have , half the battle is reading the water , looking for fish , looking for signs , the old methods still work and its greatly satisfying to catch fish like that .

I do the odd overnighter during the Summer months, and usually go to France for a weeks carping.
I've fished some lovely venues.
For me, the magic of fishing is first light. And I do mean "first light"... just as the old church clock in the distance is striking four.
Mist starting to rise off the lake, tell tale bubbles of the Carp, (or Tench), starting to root around looking for breakfast.
No noise, other than the sound of the dawn chorus, and possibly your kettle bubbling away for that first cup of coffee of the day.
You can't beat it. Pure heaven.
(y)(y)(y)

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I do the odd overnighter during the Summer months, and usually go to France for a weeks carping.
I've fished some lovely venues.
For me, the magic of fishing is first light. And I do mean "first light"... just as the old church clock in the distance is striking four.
Mist starting to rise off the lake, tell tale bubbles of the Carp, (or Tench), starting to root around looking for breakfast.
No noise, other than the sound of the dawn chorus, and possibly your kettle bubbling away for that first cup of coffee of the day.
You can't beat it. Pure heaven.
(y)(y)(y)
That's all well and good but you didn't mention the bream you catch at 2am when it's pissing it down with rain and wipes out your other 3 rods ???

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
That's all well and good but you didn't mention the bream you catch at 2am when it's pissing it down with rain and wipes out your other 3 rods ???

This ( and my old bones) is why I didn't do bivvy fishing. I have stayed up all night and then gone (very) early, to catch that first light experience, but it's one attended rod. What Hovis describes is a nightmare , I should think.?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Well, an interesting days fishing!

Not a lot of activity on the lake, barely any bites all day. Tried a few approaches, bottom, float, feeder, spinning. Hooked a pile earlier in the day but it got loose before we could land it.

However.. just as I start to pack away I bagged this lovely little pike! My first ever pike too!

Baiting up over the coming weeks to return to the lake soon!

Attachments

• F35221B9-17BD-48AD-9932-132367CCB655.jpeg
    F35221B9-17BD-48AD-9932-132367CCB655.jpeg
    200.5 KB · Views: 14

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yea, but a bit boring only ever catching one species of fish (well maybe 2 at a push). Thats why I don't like fishing carp puddles only stocked with carp!

Yeah, but you can take them home, clean them, fill them with cheddar cheese and put them on the BBQ.
Awesome ............................ really fresh trout.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yea, but a bit boring only ever catching one species of fish (well maybe 2 at a push). Thats why I don't like fishing carp puddles only stocked with carp!
Not all carp fishing is like that though. I agree, I can't stant that either. I fish horseshoe lake in cirencester. 66 acres is no puddle

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeah, but you can take them home, clean them, fill them with cheddar cheese and put them on the BBQ.
Awesome ............................ really fresh trout.

Only if you like to eat fish.....I don't! :p:p

And unfortunately, many seem to think they don't have to be trout for them to do that either :mad::mad::mad:. Indeed she even resort to barbecuing their catch on the bank :mad::mad::mad::mad:.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Not all carp fishing is like that though. I agree, I can't stant that either. I fish horseshoe lake in cirencester. 66 acres is no puddle

No, definitely not. Do you mean Horseshoe Lake in Lechlade, the one run by the Carp Society? If so I have fished that a couple times as I used to live nearby in Swindon. I blanked though :p.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Guess whats back - the fishing bug!

So a few weeks out from my last - and pretty unsuccessful trip - im now back looking at fishing locally again!

This time most likely a well established pool as I want to go after a real mixed bag, most of my fishing as a junior was catching silvers and ill be honest, I was gutted I only came away with 1 perch after a full days effort last time out. Id be just as happy with a Roach as I would a carp!

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Guess whats back - the fishing bug!

So a few weeks out from my last - and pretty unsuccessful trip - im now back looking at fishing locally again!

This time most likely a well established pool as I want to go after a real mixed bag, most of my fishing as a junior was catching silvers and ill be honest, I was gutted I only came away with 1 perch after a full days effort last time out. Id be just as happy with a Roach as I would a carp!

River or Stillwater?

Silvers respond pretty well to pole fishing. Now my preferred method.
Need the right tackle though.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Never really been into fishing. Ave done it twice, once off flamborough head and threw up. Other time off Concarneau on a threee masted schooner ( Malcolm Miller) and caught two bucket loads of mackerel.
Anyway me dad has always been into sea fishing. On Monday I dropped off a homemade cheese and onion pie and was having a look at his sea fishing gear. He has half a dozen reels. And loads of tackle. The rods he cut up and threw away as “ no one round here wants them” ? The reels I brought home to see what there worth. penns, Mitchell and a few others. Hardly worth owt. compared to what he paid for them. He will keep them in the shed for sentimental reasons.