Fishing tackle

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Hi all,

Me and the old man used to do a lot of fishing when I was 13/14 but we packed away the kit one day, and it never came back out.

This weekend we had a big clear out and clean up, we still have the majority of our old kit thats useable and would like to get back into it - but after a bit of looking around online, its a bit of a minefield! Oils, soaks, about 100 types of groundbait these days!

Does anyone use a website online for fishing baits/ tackle etc (obviously not live bait). Any hints/ tips for just some general carp and course fishing - what works well for you?

Also, any recommendations of pools in the Worcestershire area?

Thanks in advance!

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
You know golf is back next week, right?

I do! But what am I supposed to do this weekend? :LOL:

Old man is running London Marathon again this year, I can already foresee all the rounds he cancels due to tired legs - so we can replace golf on those weekends with a bit of fishing!

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Google ...Angling Direct..
They have everything fishingwise

Although the old reliable baits like sweet corn, luncheon meat and bread still work, the latest baits are some form of pellet or "boilie".
Pellets come in all sorts of sizes, soft and hard.
These days( you may know already, in which case , apologies), "hair rigging" is the way to attach baits to hooks, for best hooking chances.

Look on YouTube for fishing methods , hair rigging, etc. You'll find lots of tips etc.
Tight lines!

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Google ...Angling Direct..
They have everything fishingwise

Although the old reliable baits like sweet corn, luncheon meat and bread still work, the latest baits are some form of pellet or "boilie".
Pellets come in all sorts of sizes, soft and hard.
These days( you may know already, in which case , apologies), "hair rigging" is the way to attach baits to hooks, for best hooking chances.

Look on YouTube for fishing methods , hair rigging, etc. You'll find lots of tips etc.
Tight lines!

Cheers for coming lack to me mate! Ill look in to hair rigging!

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm planning on digging out the tackle this Summer. It mush have been 25 years since it was last used.

Anyone remember the black (or light blue) Shimano box with the trays and octoplus legs ??? I think my pole was a Shimano Powerloop also. Few nice Diawa carp rods and reels also. I'm not sure in what state it'll be in after all this time. I'm not even going to open the bait boxes !!!!!!!!!

I presume you can get all the licences needed online now ?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I'm planning on digging out the tackle this Summer. It mush have been 25 years since it was last used.

Anyone remember the black (or light blue) Shimano box with the trays and octoplus legs ??? I think my pole was a Shimano Powerloop also. Few nice Diawa carp rods and reels also. I'm not sure in what state it'll be in after all this time. I'm not even going to open the bait boxes !!!!!!!!!

I presume you can get all the licences needed online now ?

You have got no idea what scenes me and my dad found in our old fishing boxes... not pretty! Mice definately got in to my dads box, looked like the inside of a hamster cage! Massive job sorting through it all and getting it clean and back to a useable state.

We have enough kit to make up a few rods and spend a day fishing, but before any big carp hunting etc we will be giving everything a full service/ test run.

Licenses are easy as anything to get hold of now! 1 day, 8 day and 1 year passes from gov.uk - sent to you via email instantly, so you can just decide on the day if you really want to.

We have actually heard back today from a friend of my dads who owns a pool on his land, we first fished this pond when I was a kid and we're going back for the first time in 10-12 years this saturday for a day session! Cannot wait!!

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
You're welcome.

You can buy lots of hook lengths already tied with hair rigs now. No need to worry about tying" hairs" on to hooks now. That was always tricky in the past.
Cheers

Tell you what - youve opened a can of worms here! Ive barely done any work today, just been looking at hair rigging carp videos :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Tell you what - youve opened a can of worms here! Ive barely done any work today, just been looking at hair rigging carp videos :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

If you are after carp ( in your mates pond), I take it it will be hardly fished as opposed to heavily fished?
If the former, then don't go too heavy on the boilies . If you have one on the hook, then maybe surround it with small pellets rather than loads of other boilies
If hardly ever fished, bread can be a good bait. It can be hair rigged. On the end of the hair tie a small elastic band. Use a piece of bread flake folded over about the size of your thumb first joint. Just draw the elastic band ( with a baiting needle) through the bread but leaving the elastic band within the body of the bread.
This keeps the bread on in the cast, and the bread will waft on the bottom and be quite tempting for the carp.
Of course, be prepared to let the carp "run" after hooking.
Always keep a bend in the rod.
If pole fishing never keep a bend in the pole- but that's another story!??

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
If you are after carp ( in your mates pond), I take it it will be hardly fished as opposed to heavily fished?
If the former, then don't go too heavy on the boilies . If you have one on the hook, then maybe surround it with small pellets rather than loads of other boilies
If hardly ever fished, bread can be a good bait. It can be hair rigged. On the end of the hair tie a small elastic band. Use a piece of bread flake folded over about the size of your thumb first joint. Just draw the elastic band ( with a baiting needle) through the bread but leaving the elastic band within the body of the bread.
This keeps the bread on in the cast, and the bread will waft on the bottom and be quite tempting for the carp.
Of course, be prepared to let the carp "run" after hooking.
Always keep a bend in the rod.
If pole fishing never keep a bend in the pole- but that's another story!??

Not been fished in around 10 years now! Its in his land.. It’s a full sized lake though, probably space for 10-12 anglers no bother! Formerly owned by a keen angler who stocked it with all sorts years ago... Christ knows what we will face this weekend though!!

Always was a good pool for maggot and bread, think I’ll stick with your idea, simple is best!

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Freelined luncheon meat. Can't beat it. Although I use boilies these days but if you're just after a bit of "sport" you can't beat luncheon meat or bacon grill.

I’ll get hold of some luncheon!! Pics to follow gents!

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not too far from Worcestershire but a good place to go for some easy bites. http://bellsmillfishery.co.uk/

As far as tackle goes, youtube is your friend. Don't use line that's been sitting for a few years.

This time of the year the carp will be in the shallower water trying to find some warmer water

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I’ll get hold of some luncheon!! Pics to follow gents!
A smallish cube of luncheon meat either hair rigged or hooked on in the usual way. If you're not going to hair rig, gently push the hook through and then twist it 180 degrees. A very small piece of grass, or something similar put on the inside of the bend in the hook and sitting under the bait will help prevent the hook pulling up through. Don't get too aggressive with casting out, luncheon meat is quite soft.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Not been fished in around 10 years now! Its in his land.. It’s a full sized lake though, probably space for 10-12 anglers no bother! Formerly owned by a keen angler who stocked it with all sorts years ago... Christ knows what we will face this weekend though!!

Always was a good pool for maggot and bread, think I’ll stick with your idea, simple is best!

Oh...er Lovely!,,.
You may have a busy time ( hope so), but be prepared for possibility of not much action because the fish have been used to only natural food, and may not respond to your "strange " bait.
Though , if I were you, I would really expect a bumper day.
Take a can of sweet corn too.
The luncheon meat and the sweet corn can both be hair rigged as I describe previously using the small elastic band .( obviously they can be hair rigged ordinarily too.)
What I also use are those hook lengths where the hair has a smal plastic spike tied on the end. Then you can just push the spike into the bait.
They are very convenient.

Edit. No good with posting links but if you google this, you'll see the rigs I mean

angling direct Maver Invincible CS24 Banded Hair Rigs

Cor!!! A stocked lake that hasn't been fished for years! Angler's dream.

Tight lines

Last edited:

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Oh...er Lovely!,,.
You may have a busy time ( hope so), but be prepared for possibility of not much action because the fish have been used to only natural food, and may not respond to your "strange " bait.
Though , if I were you, I would really expect a bumper day.
Take a can of sweet corn too.
The luncheon meat and the sweet corn can both be hair rigged as I describe previously using the small elastic band .( obviously they can be hair rigged ordinarily too.)
What I also use are those hook lengths where the hair has a smal plastic spike tied on the end. Then you can just push the spike into the bait.
They are very convenient.

Edit. No good with posting links but if you google this, you'll see the rigs I mean

angling direct Maver Invincible CS24 Banded Hair Rigs

Cor!!! A stocked lake that hasn't been fished for years! Angler's dream.

Tight lines

I hope to share a few pics with you gents after this weekend! Fingers crossed the fish are hungry.... we dont want a day catching nothing but a cold!