First time at St Andrews ruined by a cheat

evahakool

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My daughter recently orgainised a corparate event at the Fairmont Torrance course and got me in as a guest,as this was my first time playing what I would class as a top class course I was really looking forward to the day.

So got paired with a Irish lad who was great company and a Canadian guy who was a right knob to put it mildly.Team event with indervidial prizes.

I hit a good drive and second shot onto the green to leave myself a 15 foot putt knocked it to under a foot and felt great nearly sure of getting a par on the first hole,then to my amazment he knocked it back to me and said (ill give you that) I told him you cant do that and would need to hole out, his reply was "we do that all the time it speeds up the game" So I told him this is a cometition and you cant do that.Not a good start.

On the 4th green he 3 putted and through his ball in the air and knocked it onto the next fairway with his putter and not a thought that it might hit someone.

Then I saw him mark his ball infront of his ball at least three times on differant greens, on the back nine he had the cheack to say to this Irish lad "that you have to be very carefull marking on a green as a pro named Eric Saltman got a ban for this. What a pratt.

On the 15th I hit a drive which just ran of the fairway but when we got up there couldnt find it then he shouts "hear it is" I had a look and said thats a srixon and not my ball Knob says "Doesant matter just hit it" Fed up at this point so hit it but made sure I didnt score on that hole.

Last hole was a parr 5 with the longest drive both of them hit two poor drives each so were out of it ,I managed a parr and he walked of the green before I finished putting then said we didnt score on that hole So I told him that I parred it and walked off.

The parr on the last was the only good hole I had on the back 9 as he was telling me what clubs to use and what I was doing wrong.Had a decent front 9 with 16 points but only got 8 on the back 9.

Hope I never meet any one like him again on a golf course btw he was a 15 h/c.

Sorry for the long post.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why did you put up with it? After the front nine he would have been told to shut his face and stop cheating, if he even got that far.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
That's a shame, was he the 'client', can I ask why you let him bully you into playing a wrong ball? I assume he was big and aggressive?

evahakool

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I put up with it because I didnt want it to spoil my day,no he wasnt a client nor was he big and tough,I didnt let him bully me into playing a wrong ball as I could have gone back and played another one, but as it was near the end of the round could not be bothered.

bluetoon

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yep, feel your pain. Its a lose lose situation.

Put up with it and have poor day out or
Say something and go around in an 'atmosphere'

No place for plonkers like that on a golf course.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
sounds a total penis - did you not consider throwing him in a bunker and give him a good raking?

sorry, doesn't sound like, clearly was a total penis

DCB

Visit site
Ah..... the joys of Corporate golf ;)

Apart from having to put up with a diddy like that, you seem to have got off lightly. Seen guys unwrap clubs in the carpark and take to the tee for the first time.... ever, at Corporate days.

Have to decline invites nowadays, so it's not too painful any more.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is pretty common in the US for people to have a very causal attitude to gimmes and mulligans, and I have played with people who infringed the rules on pretty much every hole then told me they were putting that card in for handicap. I have now given up even commenting.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm afraid I'm not as patient as you and would have told him he was a cheat, prat and had no place on a golf course and put up with the bad atmosphere. I'd have pulled him up on every infringement and made sure the organisers knew.

level5s

Head Pro
Visit site
Then I saw him mark his ball infront of his ball at least three times on differant greens, on the back nine he had the cheack to say to this Irish lad "that you have to be very carefull marking on a green as a pro named Eric Saltman got a ban for this. What a pratt.

why can you not mark in front of your ball on the green?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
why can you not mark in front of your ball on the green?

You can if you put the ball back in the same place. It's another one of those 'recommendations' from the R&A rather than a rule.

Mr. Saltman I believe was supposedly marking at the side then putting the ball back in front. I didn't read much about it though so I could be wrong.