First round since returning to golf

YorkshireStu

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi all. It’s my first round of golf on Wednesday since returning to the sport following the arrival of my second child, so in all about 18 months out.
Any advice for returning and the first round?
I’ve opted to play Barnsley Golf Club which is a well run municipal course so a short distance from Wakefield. Planning to get there early and practice my putting before the tee time but otherwise hoping I enjoy a rusty game of golf.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
good luck Stu, think i would have hit the range a couple of times before hitting the course.but seeing as its your first outing i wouldnt be trying to hit it too hard .just get it into play and go fro there.

D

Deleted member 21258

Best of luck and enjoy. weathers looking grand happy days(y)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hit some balls at the range, go out with no expectations and a lot of golf balls and simply have fun. If you start to get the chance to play more often , either look at a refresher lesson or two or hit the range a few times and get some consistency back

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't try and do too much I guess, just relax and play within yourself a bit. The old Hollywood shots might not come off. :p

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi all. It’s my first round of golf on Wednesday since returning to the sport following the arrival of my second child, so in all about 18 months out.
Any advice for returning and the first round?
I’ve opted to play Barnsley Golf Club which is a well run municipal course so a short distance from Wakefield. Planning to get there early and practice my putting before the tee time but otherwise hoping I enjoy a rusty game of golf.

I'd say don't have any expectations and concentrate on trying to make good contact with the ball, rather than where it's going or what your score is.

YorkshireStu

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the advice and well wishes. I figured that I would check back in and let you know how it went!
Nice club and very welcoming for visitors, so I will definitely be returning to Barnsley GC.
I bogeyed the first two holes which gave me some immediate confidence that I could play well for me. A few shockers and a few great holes later, I finished up with 35 Stableford points (off an assumed handicap). 6iron and 3 hybrid were my friends today as I struggled off the tee on the long par4s

Last edited: