First HC, a few questions

• Thread starter Deleted member 29109
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 29109

Hopefully a simple answer to this.

I understand that I need to submit cards for 54 holes to get a HC.

I'm now a member of a club. But my first round since becoming a member will be at another course. Can I submit that card as one of the 3? I'm playing with a full member who can sign for it.

Does the scorecard have to be recorded under stroke play conditions? Given the conditions. Its highly likely a ball will be lost, plugged or under leaves etc. I presume if that is the case then that would be an NR as I won't be wandering back to replay the shot. Or are stableford rounds now acceptable?

Another thing. Are cards submitted under winter rules accepted?

Sorry for the basis questions. It's been a very long time since I submitted card for a HC and things have now changed considerably.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Various things

The round has to be played according to qualifying competition rules. Winter Rules are generally allowable but it will depend on exactly what the winter rules are where you play.

It will not be acceptable if there are more than 2 temporary greens, it will not be allowable if the course has lift off the fairway and place in the rough and if they allow more than six inches for lift clean and place (including in a bunker).

The card can be marked as Stableford but you should not pick up until you are twice the par + 1 shot.

Remember to play a provisional for a ball that might be lost. You get embedded ball (plugged) in it's own pitch mark relief in the general area without penalty R&A Rule 16.

Sorry I do not know the acceptability of a score at another course when used for for initial handicap purposes.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
From the CONGU WHS guide:

G5.2a (1) Scores for the Initial Handicap
Scores for initial handicap purposes can be submitted from any measured course at the discretion of the Home Club Handicap Committee.

IanMcC

Visit site
It will not be acceptable if there are more than 2 temporary greens, it will not be allowable if the course has lift off the fairway and place in the rough and if they allow more than six inches for lift clean and place (including in a bunker).
Im pretty sure that under COVID19 conditions lift, clean and place in a bunker is acceptable, as no raking is allowed.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
The WHS has 'kicked in'.
In my part of Scotland we don't have any official comps ATM or conditions conducive to submitting cards for a new H/C , so it makes no difference if the WHS has kicked in or not.
I probably should've asked, what/is there a difference between the old and the WHS when playing for a new H/C

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In my part of Scotland we don't have any official comps ATM or conditions conducive to submitting cards for a new H/C , so it makes no difference if the WHS has kicked in or not.
I probably should've asked, what/is there a difference between the old and the WHS when playing for a new H/C

The only real change is that the score is allowed to go to twice the par before NRing a hole plus new rules for 9 hole scores

Thee other change is that it is encumbent on a club to find a method for players to be able to submit Acceptable Scores throughout the year

5 | P a g e
Definitions
World Handicap System GDef/1 Active and Inactive Seasons
Active and Inactive seasons are not implemented in GB&I. Golf should be played throughout the year; although for many clubs the course setup may mean that, in winter, scores will not be acceptable for handicap purposes. However, it is expected that all clubs will endeavour to encourage players to return acceptable scores throughout the year where possible.
Guidance is provided for the use of temporary greens and tees in G2.1/3. Further guidance in Appendix H is applicable when adverse course conditions prevail.
Clubs should refer to their National Association for specific guidance on dealing with adverse course conditions.