First golf course played

• Thread starter Deleted member 21258
  • Start date

Wolf

Visit site
Poult Wood Municipal in Tonbridge......
It's got a lot to answer for.
First course I played when I took up playing for the second time back in November after 10 years in the golfing Wilderness.

Company my Mrs worked for at the time owned so I got a freebie to see if I really wanted to start playing again. It's not a bad little track really, to score decently you don't need much more than a 4 iron off any tee though.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
One thing I forgot to add in my post above - the first time I ever played 9 holes (some scrappy cheap place, can't even remember the name of it now), I got a birdie. On a par 3 I hit a wood to just off the green and chipped in, through complete luck of course. Was probably several years before I ever got another one.
Having done some further research (otherwise known as, asking my dad), it turns out the scrappy little 9 hole where me and my mum had our first golf outing with him was called The Lanes. In the Slough/Stoke Poges area. Found a scorecard for it on Facebook as well and it was very short. Had one par 5, but all the par 4s were under 300 yards. This place is not open now anyway, probably shut years ago. God knows what's there now.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Having never played before (other than pitch & putt) I took the driver...took a swing and missed...I can still remember the audible groan from everyone waiting.

Next swing I managed to knock the ball off the tee about 5 yards...and in complete embarrassment I ended up basically playing hockey with the driver up the 1st fairway to about 150 yards just to get away!

Hahaha brilliant

D

Deleted Member 1156

Whinhill Golf Course, above Greenock in the early 90s.
My Dad took me and my brother up. My Dad wasn't a golfer and borrowed a set of clubs simply to let me and my bro have a go.
I kinda remember him cutting this old driver off the 1st tee and it probably bouncing 150 yards or so down and thinking he had hit it a mile.
We obviously couldn't play and we probably had to let guys through every other hole.

Whinhill is a formidable moorland course with a burn on just about every hole.
That said, I'd like to go back now that I've been a regular player for a few years. .
My first course was Kilmacolm with my great uncle who was a member there but after once I had the bug I used to play regularly at Whinhill and Routenburn before joining Gourock. As stated by Craw, the Whinhill is very rugged with some really tough holes, the old 14th used to get me every time! I believe the holes have been swapped around now?