First golf course played

• Thread starter Deleted member 21258
  • Start date

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Allerton muni in Liverpool.
And me. I first played with my Dad and brothers. I can't remember exactly how old I was at the time but I'd say about 11. I remember loooong waits in the morning to play.
Then lots of others with Vikingman in my late teens / early twenties. 😀

D

Deleted member 21258

Cleeve Hill, Cheltenham with a couple of college mates in the early 80s. The course holds another memory as I proposed to my wife near the 17th tee (trig point for the highest peak in Gloucestershire).

That's different:cool:, was it the trig or gofl course the reason why you propose there ?

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
We laugh about it now but my first round with my stepdaughter was a 5 hour round.
It was only a short 9 hole course and we only went round once!

DCB

Visit site
July 1973, Silverknowes Golf Course in Edinburgh. Played with my mate Michael and shot 129. Start of a long road and enjoyed every step of it over the years.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
And me. I first played with my Dad and brothers. I can't remember exactly how old I was at the time but I'd say about 11. I remember loooong waits in the morning to play.

Full house!

Allerton muni for me also around 1989, "gaming" persimmon. :p

Played with me mate, Jamo who had played a bit as a kid. Hooked straight away even though I was crap, and it grew to 3-4 of us from work all getting into it. Even a year later we were still playing in work clothes and trainees. We gave so much stick to the first of the 4 who actually bought some golf spikes (the worst player also) - he got cained.

Getting up and playing 18 holes in 2 1/2 hours before work at least once a week and playing after work till 10.30 at night, if we played 27 holes and walking into the village inn in Woolton at 10.40 in pitch black with Howson bags over our shoulder, getting looked at askance by other drinkers - thought we were mad.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

You wouldnt recognise it now, clubhouse is now a restaurant, the old cafe is a sports bar and they are building a spa hotel there also - https://allertonmanorgolfclub.com/

There has been some investment in the course, but its still muni-ish. Plans to create two new holes of which one will be a par 5, by taking land from the 9 hole.

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You w

You wouldnt recognise it now, clubhouse is now a restaurant, the old cafe is a sports bar and they are building a spa hotel there also - https://allertonmanorgolfclub.com/

There has been some investment in the course, butits still muni-ish. Plans to create two new holes of which one will be a par 5, by taking land from the 9 hole.
Haven’t played there for years.
Remember coming off nights going to Arrow Park and Brackenwood ,Walton hall park,Duxbury Park.
Then going straight back to work at 5pm for a mini shift , that would kill me now.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Haven’t played there for years.
Remember coming off nights going to Arrow Park and Brackenwood ,Walton hall park,Duxbury Park.
Then going straight back to work at 5pm for a mini shift , that would kill me now.

Same here.

Even played one morning at 4.45 am start on Allerton then went to Wembley and seen the reds lift the FA cup against Sunderland in 19992.

Its only round the corner from me so played there 3-4 times last year just for a change. Still worth going there for a change.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Same here.

Even played one morning at 4.45 am start on Allerton then went to Wembley and seen the reds lift the FA cup against Sunderland in 19992.

Its only round the corner from me so played there 3-4 times last year just for a change. Still worth going there for a change.
Where do you play your golf then.
I am at Grange Park.
But live in Broadgreen.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hindley hall GC in Wigan.
Actually that’s totally wrong.

My first ever ever round was at Calder glen (Torrance house) in East Kilbride before I was exiled to Lancashire.

Totally forgot about that. Was probably 10 years old. Me and my pal Bethel.

Was 18 years later until I played that round at hindley Hall.

badgermat

Club Champion
Visit site
First was probably the 9 hole course at Elveden Forest (Centre Parcs Thetford ... for shame), but that probably doesn't count due to being par 3 and barely more than a pitch and putt, even if it seemed plenty long at the time. I lost my credit card somewhere out there and some kind visitor actually handed it in.

First proper course would be The Grange in Auckland (NZ) on a client function. I lost many balls and made an utter arse of myself, but somehow wanted to try again.

bm

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Romney Warren, now known as Littlestone Warren and is what originally was the 9 hole course owned by Littlestone Golf Club in Kent and is now a 18 hole. Not a bad short course 5,500 yard par 67 so just shorter and easier than the main course