First day of the week?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Ancient Egypt used a ten day week. The Etruscans used an eight day week which was adopted by ancient Rome for a time.
But somehow, the Babylonian seven day week using the names of celestial bodies became the most popular.

As for which one is the first - ask a 2,500 year old Babylonian.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Black Holes are flaming difficult to set up. Try it sometime.

I can't remember black holes being mentioned in Genesis :unsure:

form-fill.png

This still leaves me with questions.
If god created the sun on day 4, how did they know it was day 4 if there was no sun previously to rise and set and where did the light come from on day one with no sun until day 4?

And if the universe is 13.7 billion years old and the earth is 4.5 billion years old, what was god doing for 9.2 billion years?

Unless of course all of science is wrong and god made everything 6,000 years ago.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
The German word for Wednesday is Mittwoch, meaning mid-week.

This would make more sense to me if it were considered to be the 4th day of the week.

But that's up to them, nothing to do with us, or is it?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

If god created the sun on day 4, how did they know it was day 4 if there was no sun previously to rise and set and where did the light come from on day one with no sun until day 4?

And if the universe is 13.7 billion years old and the earth is 4.5 billion years old, what was god doing for 9.2 billion years?

Unless of course all of science is wrong and god made everything 6,000 years ago.
Or to quote Ricky Gervais' stand-up routine - that means he made everything in the DARK! :LOL:

D-S

Visit site

View attachment 45659

But what about the Dinosaurs?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

View attachment 45659

If he made the heavens then he would have made black holes.

Who are the 'They' you mention on day 4?
The Sun doesn't rise and set from a God place and he would be clever enough to understand what day it was.

You seem a little confused about the way we can do things verses how a creator could do things.

Maybe if you are really interested in these things you should engage with the churches and not just a Golf Forum.

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My sister is very religious and when I have questioned her in the past about the '7 days to create the earth' her reply is that the term 'days' is a loose one and is not restricted to a modern 24 hours. Make of that what you will o_O

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
You seem a little confused about the way we can do things verses how a creator could do things.

Maybe if you are really interested in these things you should engage with the churches and not just a Golf Forum.

1. You'd have to demonstrate that there is such a thing as a creator.
2. This is the OOB section which means I can discuss anything.....except politics.
3. As far as contacting churches, what makes you think I haven't done?
The basic answers I get are
God moves in mysterious ways
You're reading it wrong
The bible is true because the bible says so.
None of which are acceptable to me.

Feel free to put me on ignore anytime but please don't tell me what I can and cannot talk about.
Thank you

Reactions: D-S

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
My sister is very religious and when I have questioned her in the past about the '7 days to create the earth' her reply is that the term 'days' is a loose one and is not restricted to a modern 24 hours. Make of that what you will o_O

History tells us is that most , certainly most of Christian,religion “moves” with the revelations of science , there being little choice.
First Gid made Earth as the centre of the Universe… Everything else was Heaven or hell. Then of course, that error was conceded….and so on.
Religion sees the goalposts keep moving but still trys to kick from the same penalty spot.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
1. You'd have to demonstrate that there is such a thing as a creator.
2. This is the OOB section which means I can discuss anything.....except politics.
3. As far as contacting churches, what makes you think I haven't done?
The basic answers I get are
God moves in mysterious ways
You're reading it wrong
The bible is true because the bible says so.
None of which are acceptable to me.

Feel free to put me on ignore anytime but please don't tell me what I can and cannot talk about.
Thank you
I don't need to demonstrate anything.

You appear to have some compelling urge to discuss religion, that's fine but restricting it to a golf forum seems rather limiting. Try extending your search if you really are interested in the subject or is your interest only an attempt to ridicule those with faith. I somehow think it is.

I won't put you on ignore as in my opinion that's childish. Where did I tell you what you can or cannot discuss, all I've done is offer you some advice as you seem rather perplexed over the subject.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
History tells us is that most , certainly most of Christian,religion “moves” with the revelations of science , there being little choice.
First Gid made Earth as the centre of the Universe… Everything else was Heaven or hell. Then of course, that error was conceded….and so on.
Religion sees the goalposts keep moving but still trys to kick from the same penalty spot.

Question 1. Who made God?