First day of the week?

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I've just watched a CNN Youtube video and the host welcomed us to the start of a brand new week, Sunday 18th December...
Is this an American thing or have I missed something?
I always thought Monday was the first day of the week :unsure:

Yes, it's pretty much an American thing. On our calendar, Sunday is the first day of the week, even though we still regard it as part of the "weekend."

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No, but why does that matter anyway? It's just a question of semantics and logic. "Weekend" = end of the week. Also for the nine to fivers you tend to start work on a Monday so effectively beginning the week there.

Agree with @pauljames87 anyway, Sunday is the day of rest and the 7th day I thought - not heard anything about God saying Sunday is the first day of the week, but happy to be pointed towards that bible passage. Would at least explain why some people think Sunday might be the first day of the week.

I was brought up Christian, and very much Sunday was the 7th day

However since I started work it's always been Sunday 1st day of the week .. that's too engrained in my mind now

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No, but why does that matter anyway? It's just a question of semantics and logic. "Weekend" = end of the week. Also for the nine to fivers you tend to start work on a Monday so effectively beginning the week there.

Agree with @pauljames87 anyway, Sunday is the day of rest and the 7th day I thought - not heard anything about God saying Sunday is the first day of the week, but happy to be pointed towards that bible passage. Would at least explain why some people think Sunday might be the first day of the week.

see post #2

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was brought up Christian, and very much Sunday was the 7th day

Not according to 7th day Adventist (Adventist Protestant Christian denomination) they consider Saturday to be the 7th day.

We used to do a lot of shopping in the Houndsditch area of London on a Sunday because most of the shops were closed on Saturday as most in that area considered Saturday to 'their' day of religion.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not according to 7th day Adventist (Adventist Protestant Christian denomination) they consider Saturday to be the 7th day.

We used to do a lot of shopping in the Houndsditch area of London on a Sunday because most of the shops were closed on Saturday as most in that area considered Saturday to 'their' day of religion.

Interesting! Never heard of them but there you have it

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

The Jewish faith uses Saturday as the seventh day of the week, their faith says it's the day God rested after his creation.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Also always thought Sunday was the first day of the week - but could never understand why Saturday & Sunday were the weekend.

Eh? In religion isnt it Sunday is the 7th day ie the day god rested after creating the world etc ..which is why it's the holy day?

What I could never understand is if he is all powerful, why did he need a rest after creating the world?

sunshine

Visit site
Sunday is the first day of the week for me, my age and religion may well have dictated this for me.

I guess you are muslim and grew up in the middle east? Weekend there is Fri / Sat.

In Christianity I thought God rested on Sunday after creating the world in 6 days.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I guess you are muslim and grew up in the middle east? Weekend there is Fri / Sat.

In Christianity I thought God rested on Sunday after creating the world in 6 days.

You have to remember when God created the earth the first God based religion was effectively Hebrew and, as per most Middle East countries, Hebrews celebrate Saturday as their most religious day. Christians initially came from Hebrews and continued with Saturday as their most important day.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I can see how in the old days Sunday was considered the start of the week as Church was the path to set you up for the week ahead

But nowadays, Sunday is a day of rest in preparation for the week ahead, so for me the week starts on Monday and ends Sunday

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I can see how in the old days Sunday was considered the start of the week as Church was the path to set you up for the week ahead

But nowadays, Sunday is a day of rest in preparation for the week ahead, so for me the week starts on Monday and ends Sunday
Or in the ‘Old Days’ Sunday was the day of rest after a hard week, and the opportunity to give thanks for what that week had brought and prayers for the comimg week. Indeed that‘s just what it is for Christians, though those of Judaism (Saturday) and Islam (Friday) might well disagree.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Or in the ‘Old Days’ Sunday was the day of rest after a hard week, and the opportunity to give thanks for what that week had brought and prayers for the comimg week. Indeed that‘s just what it is for Christians, though those of Judaism (Saturday) and Islam (Friday) might well disagree.

Whatever ?