Finding lost swing mid-round

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site
In recent weeks I've noticed a worrying trend in my game. I play at a 9 hole course due to time constraints.

Usually, in a competition I start out either steady or poorly and reach a point when I know I'm not going to post a good score - and at that point I start playing better.

Then yesterday, when it was a social knock rather than a competition, I played the first 6 holes in three over par! All fine until the 7th Tee - first drive OOB, topped the second etc etc, played the last 3 holes in 8 over par to finish with close to my usual score.

So, 2 questions:
1/ What tips have you all got for not putting pressure on in the early holes?
2/ How do you find a swing again when you lose it mid round so you can keep a good round going?

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It might be worth thinking about how you warm up. Hitting a few balls and seeing what turns up might help to avoid a rocky start.

Regarding the swing, I just started a thread on using a drill (feet together) during a round to help get me to the end without bending the full set over my knee. This might not work for you, but finding some sort of 'go to' swing for pressure situations is a helpful thing.

The good part of all this is that it's only by struggling in a competition environment that you find out what REALLY works. If it works on the range, but not in the medal, then it ain't worth nuttin. Use you experiences to find a way of playing golf that survives in the white heat of the comp!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My answer to both would be to stop thinking about the future, ie. what might be after 18 holes.

This will sound cliche and zen, but the best way of maximising your chances of hitting a good shot are to have your mind and body in the same place, or 'singing from the same hymn sheet'.

Since you can't transport your body into the past or future, your mind better be in the present.

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks for the advice - I've tried all of the psychology side of things - one shot at a time, play the shot in front of you, don't tot up the score etc etc but I was wondering what physical triggers people use to help. Drills sound like a good thing to try. I might give that a whirl on Saturday!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The only physical advice I can offer is to perfect a pre shot routine.

It doesn't have to be long winded, but when the pressure's on you want the set up to be automatic and the same every time without having to think about it.

It's why snooker players always cue up the same, tennis players bounce the ball before serving the same, rugby kickers have the same run up and mannerisms every time, etc.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
With regard to not putting pressure on the early holes, if I do start badly I just remind myself that I'm bound to have 2 or 3 poor holes even in a decent round. I just tell myself that instead of them being spread out I'm getting them out of the way early. :)

When I "lose" my swing it's usually due to swinging too fast and losing my rhythm/tempo.

A couple of things I do in this situation which can work

I'll make a very conscious effort not to swing too hard and focus on finding a good tempo and keeping everything "connected".

On holes where I might be laying up, instead of hitting the longest club for the shot, I'll just hit a 6 or 7 iron (assuming it doesn't make a huge difference to the next shot) and try to hit it like an easy practice shot. This gives me a chance to find a bit of rhythm and hit something half decent to give me a bit of confidence. For the same reason, on a par 3 I might take advantage of the opportunity to tee it up to club up and swing easy, again to find a bit of rhythm and be sure of making a good strike.

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site
@Region3 - thanks for that tip - it had occurred to me that later in the round I wasn't taking a practice swing as I had been earlier in the round. Routine needs so polish.

@MashieNiblick - I was considering this after the round also, I thought perhaps clubbing up and gripping down a little to maintain more control over the club.