Finding it after you’ve lost it.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
One of the most frustrating facets of golf is when you ‘get it’ then for some unbeknownst reason you lose it.

For a while I was chipping really well. Felt so confident over the ball. Brushing the ground with every stroke. Was manipulating the height and distance quite well. Then all of a sudden it was as if my brain lost the motor pattern. Now it’s thin bullets and duffs.

For the life of me I don’t know what changed, other than the feel of it all.

So what works best to ‘get it back’? Is it leaving chipping altogether for a while? Watching more instructional videos? Exorcism? What works for you?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Use this drill and try and hit the ball under the shaft. The ball should go over the shaft

[video=youtube;NA8aMPqdmbY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA8aMPqdmbY&index=4&list=PL7Uf2W3sfvqYBJ3O UldKvQT7ZWYEmPOyW&t=0s[/video]

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Solid pre shot routine for chipping.

I found if I don’t have that I grip it and stand different.

No way can you be consistent if your hands, shaft, stance and clubface are not the same every time.

Ones that is sorted it’s just keeping the hands ahead of the clubface, dead simple.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
One of the most frustrating facets of golf is when you ‘get it’ then for some unbeknownst reason you lose it.

For a while I was chipping really well. Felt so confident over the ball. Brushing the ground with every stroke. Was manipulating the height and distance quite well. Then all of a sudden it was as if my brain lost the motor pattern. Now it’s thin bullets and duffs.

For the life of me I don’t know what changed, other than the feel of it all.

So what works best to ‘get it back’? Is it leaving chipping altogether for a while? Watching more instructional videos? Exorcism? What works for you?

Having someone who knows your game well - your Pro for example, or maybe someone you play regularly with - check out your current action could well identify something that is causing the problems. Very often a player doesn't notice the feeling of slight changes that incrimentally end up causing major issues!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I would suggest the OP is getting tense and tight over the shot and not turning properly along with a overly tight grip. Plenty of resources out there to help fix the issues or get a pro to have a quick look. Bound to be a quick and easy fix

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Cheers for the replies, although I was kinda meaning what do you guys do in general when your game goes off. Rather than my chipping specifically.

Had a wierd round today. Driving was good but I could not hit an iron to save my life. Got my chipping back on the last few holes tho! I think for me it’s down to three things: tension, stability, and tempo. More garden and range practice required!