Finding a coach

NoIdea247

Visit site
I'm looking to book a couple of lessons in to finally sort my driver out as its always been my trouble club and all the youtube videos in the world can't help me!

I had a couple of lessons with different coaches over the last 3 years and I've often struggled to come out feeling like I have a plan on improving. One coach, after turning up late, spent half my lesson just telling me to try and swing right to change my path, as if I hadn't tried this previously and was baffled that I couldn't do it?!

Can anyone suggest how best to find the right coach for me before I take the plunge. There's a really good complex near me with 3 coaches, im worried if I just call ill be given the first available slot with any of them when there might be one suited better to my learning style etc.

For reference I'm West mids/Staffordshire based

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The only way really is recommendations and a chat in advance with them to see if you get on. Maybe if they post any stuff online anywhere see if their content strikes a chord with you

How far are you from Forest of Arden? I saw Alistair Davies there a few times and he was excellent (and posts plenty of online content if you want to check him out). Used video, trackman to back up his advice, clear summary of a lesson with what to do to try and improve, drills to use etc. His style and communication worked well for me, may not be everyones cup of tea, its important to find someone who communicates in a way you will learn from

NoIdea247

Visit site
The only way really is recommendations and a chat in advance with them to see if you get on. Maybe if they post any stuff online anywhere see if their content strikes a chord with you

How far are you from Forest of Arden? I saw Alistair Davies there a few times and he was excellent (and posts plenty of online content if you want to check him out). Used video, trackman to back up his advice, clear summary of a lesson with what to do to try and improve, drills to use etc. His style and communication worked well for me, may not be everyones cup of tea, its important to find someone who communicates in a way you will learn from

I'm probably too far away from the Arden to reasonably travel for an hours lesson, I usually try and play there once a year as its such a nice course - but brutal if you're not driving well.. Ive have watched Alistairs youtube videos before.

I've been looking out for posts to see local coaches work but they're all pretty quiet on social. Might try one of the Facebook groups to see if anyone local can recommend anyone and importantly, why they recommend them.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm probably too far away from the Arden to reasonably travel for an hours lesson, I usually try and play there once a year as its such a nice course - but brutal if you're not driving well.. Ive have watched Alistairs youtube videos before.

I've been looking out for posts to see local coaches work but they're all pretty quiet on social. Might try one of the Facebook groups to see if anyone local can recommend anyone and importantly, why they recommend them.

dont know if he still does them but he used to do half day sessions in groups of 4 on a specific part of the game, i travelled 90 mins for a couple of them (then went back for a few individual ones too), the longer session made it worth the extra journey time, but long term much better if you can find someone that works for you more locally.

hopefully someone else will be along with more local reccomendations

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
For me, word of mouth and strong recommendations from my mates a the club is important. If they have seen somebody and come away happy and it has made a difference then I am more likely to consider them. It is the way I found the guy I have been using for the last 3-4 years and who I am happy with and comfortable with the way he teaches me and the progress we are making

I have used coaches that have been very technical, which is something I wanted at that time (a mistake with the benefit of hindsight) and some have used all the technology around. The guy I use now has all the kit at hand in a teaching bay if we want/need to use it but simply uses the eye of experience and TopTracer for the most part. He has a way of teaching which is relaxed and more importantly I retain the information (for the most part).

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm looking to book a couple of lessons in to finally sort my driver out as its always been my trouble club and all the youtube videos in the world can't help me!

I had a couple of lessons with different coaches over the last 3 years and I've often struggled to come out feeling like I have a plan on improving. One coach, after turning up late, spent half my lesson just telling me to try and swing right to change my path, as if I hadn't tried this previously and was baffled that I couldn't do it?!

Can anyone suggest how best to find the right coach for me before I take the plunge. There's a really good complex near me with 3 coaches, im worried if I just call ill be given the first available slot with any of them when there might be one suited better to my learning style etc.

For reference I'm West mids/Staffordshire based
You need to see Liam James who works out of rob Rock Place "darnford mores".
He teaches on tour alot so you have to put up with him going missing every now and then.
I'm from staffs too, where is the place near you?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
telling me to try and swing right to change my path, as if I hadn't tried this previously and was baffled that I couldn't do it?!

I assume your problem is you slice.
Changing the swing path will help so try this drill.
Place 2 headcovers/rolled up towels on the mat as below and try and hit the ball without hitting the headcovers/towels
Start off slowly and gradually build up the speed