Finders Keepers

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The legal situation is simple - if the balls are not picked up by the original owner they become the property of the golf club.

Anybody picking up balls on a golf course and not handing them in to the club could be prosecuted for theft.

The moral situation is never pick up a ball until you are absolutely sure it has been abandoned.

I once had a bit of 'bargy' with another player coming down an adjoining fairway. I could see exactly where my nephew's and my balls were and watched in amazement as someone coming down that fairway just bent down, picked them up and put them in his pocket. He took a lot of convincing that I had watched him do exactly that and quite a bit of time to get the balls back.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Yeah, courts are going to prosecute someone for picking up golf balls. They're snowed under, understaffed and already broken without crying about someone picking up a few golf balls.

It's only a golf ball.

The guy stuck them in his golf bag (possibly) who cares.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our club has strict rules about brawling.
If anybody gets hospitalized, it can lead to a one week suspension.

Fortunately, we're mostly seniors on the weekdays, and most of us don't hit that hard anymore.
Although I do lift weights to keep my blood glucose levels down.
You may not hit as hard anymore.
But the trade off is you can’t take a punch as well anymore so it all evens out.:(
Arguing over balls is just not on.

Imo if you have left the course you have lost/abandoned them.

Diamond

Visit site
Yeah, courts are going to prosecute someone for picking up golf balls. They're snowed under, understaffed and already broken without crying about someone picking up a few golf balls.

It's only a golf ball.

That was half in my mind and with him not offering I assumed that was the case.
Not only was it only a golf ball but it was a 99p ball and one I had found myself.?

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
When I was in my late teens i was at a course local to me looking for balls in the rough etc spent a couple of hours and found quite a few. I then met the captain of said club on the course who asked what I was doing, I told him. He asked me to give him the balls as I was stealing from the golf club. I asked him if he wanted me to phone the police for him and also to him himself to ****. I then told him i was going to another hole to continue my search, he walked away and never said a word. Definition of old fart.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I was playing our 18th a few years ago and hit one into the trees. I didn't have a spare with me but one of my partners gave me his. I looked at it and immediately realised it was one of my old ones I must have lost sometime (not that day I might add). I mentioned it to him and he said to keep it but I said no as it was lost, he found it, it's his as if he hadn't, it would just have been lost anyway.

In your instance, it sounds to me like supposition. It could be he took them, he may not have. If you're just playing a friendly and they're old balls then it's not really worth the bother.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

It's only a golf ball.

There have been prosecutions against people who actually go ball hunting on golf courses.

I was just stating the legal position for clarity.

At one time our course issued an 'edict' about it. " All balls must be handed in the proshop- these balls will then be sold by the pro and all proceeds will be given to the Captain's charity"

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
There have been prosecutions against people who actually go ball hunting on golf courses.

I was just stating the legal position for clarity.

At one time our course issued an 'edict' about it. " All balls must be handed in the proshop- these balls will then be sold by the pro and all proceeds will be given to the Captain's charity"

Can you link me to such cases?

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Should I hand in tees too? I had never considered this before- I’m worried I’m reported as in my line of work I can’t have criminal convictions.

Oh crap, just remember that I pocketed someone’s ball marker in 2014 and never informed the committee. May god have mercy.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Some of our guys have distinctive markings on their ball that most of the roll up know or even something printed on the ball. Never fails to get a reaction in the 19th when everyone is sitting having a beer to reunite a ball with its owner

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
The first time me and my mate had a shot of Vice balls was courtesy of @turkish who had lost two on the course in previous days- one 50 yards right off the fairway, the other 50 yards left. His two-way miss certainly benefited our personal slice and hook misses that day...

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Should I hand in tees too? I had never considered this before- I’m worried I’m reported as in my line of work I can’t have criminal convictions.

Oh crap, just remember that I pocketed someone’s ball marker in 2014 and never informed the committee. May god have mercy.
it wasn't a western Gails one was it?? if so it was mine, please hand yourself into the nearest Police station

Diamond

Visit site
I have seen the personalised balls advertised. Sounds like a good idea to get my name on the balls as I will have a fair chance of them being handed back in. :)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Never mind balls and tees, my mate currently uses a trolley he found on the golf course. Funny thing is, I was playing on Saturday with the guy who left it there, then my mate played Sunday and started telling us how he found an abandoned trolley by the bin and he was going to do it up and use it! :ROFLMAO: