Finally hit my Stiff driver shaft today...

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Well after various posts about my swing speed and buying a stock stiff shaft for my RBZ driver today I finally give it a whack down the range.

Warmed up with a couple of shots with my 8 iron to see how I was swinging as I haven't hit a ball for 10 days or so with it being Christmas. Was swinging ok but a couple of shots where missing left by 10-15 YRDS so not a major concern. Then onto the driver and the club I could stand there with even on a great day and worry about where it was going to end up. Had a few practice swings and again could tell the difference straight away. Hit a few balls and I'm really pleased with it. Not a single shot right and only a couple left which was caused by me flipping my hands. I feel like I have so much control over it now and although its hard to tell distance on the range it's clear to see they are carrying further and the flight is a lot different (not too high)

I then thought is it new shiny syndrome so I put the REG back on. Straight away I could feel the difference on the practice swings and it felt out of control. First ball sky rocketed like I was hitting a 8 iron and the following shots where no better. Put the stiff back in and the nice draw/straight shots where back.

So there it is I'm sold and convinced I'm a stiff shafted golfer from now on. I know one stiff is completely different to another and if I could start again I would get custom fitted for my whole set. I defiantly need something stiffer in my rescue but my irons aren't too bad and I think I will get away with REG for a little while longer.

To those who didn't see my other thread my swing speed with a 6 iron was 89-90 on the Mizuno DNA test.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sounds like you are in the same boat as me, I was trying to use a regular shaft with a swing speed of 108 with my driver.

My iron swing speed is 88 so I guess we might have similar driver swing speeds too.

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I would imagine we have similar driver swing speeds. What do you use in your irons? My REG feel ok but that's not to say I wouldn't be even more consistent with stiff irons aswell.

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
I would estimate you'd be looking at S300 or PX5.5-6.0 in your irons if you have those speeds.

I remember someone suggesting a 95mph iron swing would be looking something like PX 6.5 as a rough guide.

A guy I play with just got a set of i20's about a month ago and had a set of irons like yours Davey with PX6.0. He was selling them about 2 weeks ago. Though they could be sold now.

Last edited:

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Well after various posts about my swing speed and buying a stock stiff shaft for my RBZ driver today I finally give it a whack down the range.

Warmed up with a couple of shots with my 8 iron to see how I was swinging as I haven't hit a ball for 10 days or so with it being Christmas. Was swinging ok but a couple of shots where missing left by 10-15 YRDS so not a major concern. Then onto the driver and the club I could stand there with even on a great day and worry about where it was going to end up. Had a few practice swings and again could tell the difference straight away. Hit a few balls and I'm really pleased with it. Not a single shot right and only a couple left which was caused by me flipping my hands. I feel like I have so much control over it now and although its hard to tell distance on the range it's clear to see they are carrying further and the flight is a lot different (not too high)

I then thought is it new shiny syndrome so I put the REG back on. Straight away I could feel the difference on the practice swings and it felt out of control. First ball sky rocketed like I was hitting a 8 iron and the following shots where no better. Put the stiff back in and the nice draw/straight shots where back.

So there it is I'm sold and convinced I'm a stiff shafted golfer from now on. I know one stiff is completely different to another and if I could start again I would get custom fitted for my whole set. I defiantly need something stiffer in my rescue but my irons aren't too bad and I think I will get away with REG for a little while longer.

To those who didn't see my other thread my swing speed with a 6 iron was 89-90 on the Mizuno DNA test.

Swing speed sounds right for stiff, i was 75 to 80 in my DNA test which worked out as regular steel shafts for me

Tried stiff but couldnt load it enough to get the distance

Sounds like a result well done

D

deanobillquay

Getting custom fitted for my driver shaft has been the best investment I've made this year!

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was recently confirmed that S300s are right for me.

When I first started with a lower driver swing speed my custom fitted shaft was the best thing I ever did, since then I have outgrown it. Only took a couple of years of golf to do so! Still I am glad I did it, really increased my enjoyment of the game.

I think a move to stiff will do the same.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i purchased a set of mizuno mp52 with project x6.0 on a whim. i was using rifle 5.0 and the difference is night and day. try out some stiff shafted irons. if they suit then you will love them.