Films

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
W Some of it even seemed like a rip off of Rick & Morty if we're being honest. Watchable nonsense though I suppose.

To be fair that is more rick and morty taking the mick out of the entire premise of comics. The muiltiverse has been around long before rick and morty and they just use it in their comedy (very well I might add)
Went to see Thor Love and thunder thursday

7/10 id say.. bit corny, but had some good bits.. the 2nd best thor stand alone film but then 1 and 2 werent great

had some "lol" moments but over played the awkwardness of "seeing your ex" with janes return etc

but still a watchable couple hours of mindless escapism

I think the MCU has become a real paint by numbers movie series.. only about 5 films were truly brilliant the rest are hitting the notes to get you to watch to continue the story

but ill still watch

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm going to attempt the Marvel films as I'm home alone and bored.
I hear there's a specific order to watch them in which doesn't really follow chronological order, can anyone enlighten me on this?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm going to attempt the Marvel films as I'm home alone and bored.
I hear there's a specific order to watch them in which doesn't really follow chronological order, can anyone enlighten me on this?
I actually think chronological order is the right way. That's how I saw them and it makes sense. As they were released basically.

That's a lot of viewing ?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Went to see Thor Love and Thunder yesterday.

It is absolutely brilliant. Cheesey and funny with lots of action. As a Thor movie should be.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I actually think chronological order is the right way. That's how I saw them and it makes sense. As they were released basically.

That's a lot of viewing ?

There’s something in Disney + which shows them in the right order by the year they are based so I watched Captain America first, it’s kinda crappy but I’ll see how far I get ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
There’s something in Disney + which shows them in the right order by the year they are based so I watched Captain America first, it’s kinda crappy but I’ll see how far I get ?
The issue is that as the films progress they start to overlap. Something in a Captain America film suddenly impacts a thread in an Iron Man film and then a Thor film etc. As the series progressed the more important the overlaps became. Miss a film and something crops up that you might not click with.

Also, Marvel have little extra clips at the end of films, in and at the end of titles. You can Google each film to see how many clips there will be. Sometimes they are a set up to the next film, sometimes they are just daft little scenes. You need to see these, just in case. Luckily you don't have to sit through 10 minutes of titles, just fast forward.

Springveldt

Visit site
My daughter is a Marvel nut and has watched all the films in order they were released and also re-watched them all by the year the film is based. Personally, I'd go for order they were released unless you are a comic fan and know some of the overlapping stories without seeing the films.

So with that, you can guess I was at Thor: Love and Thunder last Thursday as I had booked iMAX tickets over a month in advance but was considering not going due to a few days of man-flu. Lateral flows from 3 days before and 1 day before were negative so went along. Was negative the next day as well. If I'm being honest, Phase 4 has been a bit pants so far as most things have been so-so to really poor. I liked Thor though, it was exactly what I expected it to be. Lots of light hearted moments and for some strange reason every time the goats appeared I laughed. Just something so stupid that puts a smile on my face.

On a more worrying note, a lad I work with told me this morning that his wife works at a hospital in London and they are seeing loads of patients come in with covid but are all testing negative on the lateral flow tests. He was saying that lots in the NHS now think lateral flows aren't working with the new strain. I've had this "man-flu" for a week now and it has all the symptoms of covid except the lateral flows keep coming up negative.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My daughter is a Marvel nut and has watched all the films in order they were released and also re-watched them all by the year the film is based. Personally, I'd go for order they were released unless you are a comic fan and know some of the overlapping stories without seeing the films.

So with that, you can guess I was at Thor: Love and Thunder last Thursday as I had booked iMAX tickets over a month in advance but was considering not going due to a few days of man-flu. Lateral flows from 3 days before and 1 day before were negative so went along. Was negative the next day as well. If I'm being honest, Phase 4 has been a bit pants so far as most things have been so-so to really poor. I liked Thor though, it was exactly what I expected it to be. Lots of light hearted moments and for some strange reason every time the goats appeared I laughed. Just something so stupid that puts a smile on my face.

On a more worrying note, a lad I work with told me this morning that his wife works at a hospital in London and they are seeing loads of patients come in with covid but are all testing negative on the lateral flow tests. He was saying that lots in the NHS now think lateral flows aren't working with the new strain. I've had this "man-flu" for a week now and it has all the symptoms of covid except the lateral flows keep coming up negative.
Lateral flow didn't even work with Covid I got a year ago let alone now.

Springveldt

Visit site
Lateral flow didn't even work with Covid I got a year ago let alone now.
Worked fine first time for me and all the family. This time we have all tested negative for multiple days, no one has yet tested postive from about 10 tests now.

So I've either had the worst cold in my life that has dragged on for a week or Covid again and this time the tests haven't worked.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

I agree with Phase 4, a lot of the characters that they are relying on to carry the films just do not match up to the orignal ones. Add to that the fact that it have become overly convoluted and the need to have seen everything both in the cinema and on Disney plus to follow the plots and it is testing for even the most devoted fan. Add to that the fact that we are probably 2 or more years away from the next Endgame level film and there is real danger of viewer fatigue.

Personally I would have dropped the focus on the universe building plots. concentrated on getting the X-Men and Fantastic Four up and running then use them to bring back the existing characters for the next major event film. Those really are the only 2 bullets that Disney have left in the gun as they have used up and exhasuted most of the characters that people are familiar with

Springveldt

Visit site
I agree with Phase 4, a lot of the characters that they are relying on to carry the films just do not match up to the orignal ones. Add to that the fact that it have become overly convoluted and the need to have seen everything both in the cinema and on Disney plus to follow the plots and it is testing for even the most devoted fan. Add to that the fact that we are probably 2 or more years away from the next Endgame level film and there is real danger of viewer fatigue.

Personally I would have dropped the focus on the universe building plots. concentrated on getting the X-Men and Fantastic Four up and running then use them to bring back the existing characters for the next major event film. Those really are the only 2 bullets that Disney have left in the gun as they have used up and exhasuted most of the characters that people are familiar with
Totally agree. They are really getting down to the level that only comic book fans will know and even them some of them seem a bit obscure. I'm starting to feel the fatigue myself, just been crammed with so much content in such a short space of time.

I was never really a Marvel comic fan, only comic I read lots of as a kid was Judge Dredd but I at least knew who Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America, Thor etc were before the movies came out. Now? I'm finding I have to google who the characters are a lot of the time.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Totally agree. They are really getting down to the level that only comic book fans will know and even them some of them seem a bit obscure. I'm starting to feel the fatigue myself, just been crammed with so much content in such a short space of time.

I was never really a Marvel comic fan, only comic I read lots of as a kid was Judge Dredd but I at least knew who Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America, Thor etc were before the movies came out. Now? I'm finding I have to google who the characters are a lot of the time.

Now the last Judge Dredd film was superb and so needed a sequel (talk of a Megacity One series in development on Netflix).

Even as a comic fan, they have used up pretty much all of the mainstream stuff across the MCU, Disney Plus and the Netflix series. As I mentioned, the MCU versions of the X-Men and the Fantastic Four are pretty much all they have left. Everything else has issue, they release a new Captain America film, going to mean very little to anyone without Disney plus so know it is Sam Wilson now, same with all the multiverse stuff, not easyif you have not seen Loki and the latest Dr Strange Film means nothing if you have not seen Wandavision.

This is the problem the comics always had, how can you get in a new audience when you need to have been reading for years to get the plot points so they would occasionally just wipe out all of the past (DC and the New 52 being the most recent) and I suspect that it what Marvel will do in the films. build up to the Secret Wars comics, have a multiversal war and use that to rest and soft reboot the MCU.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agreed here as well. As soon as Endgame finished I thought "phew - that was great but now it's over". Then they just carried on making the movies when it all seemed to be wrapped up. I can't see the point of them anymore. Now it's 'multiverse' as a cop-out excuse to change the characters up and have different versions of them. My wife is still insisting we see these films but I just cannot get excited for them anymore.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Agreed here as well. As soon as Endgame finished I thought "phew - that was great but now it's over". Then they just carried on making the movies when it all seemed to be wrapped up. I can't see the point of them anymore. Now it's 'multiverse' as a cop-out excuse to change the characters up and have different versions of them. My wife is still insisting we see these films but I just cannot get excited for them anymore.

I have Disney plus so I just wait a couple of months (I think its 90 days now) for them to come on the streaming service. Current films have done nothing for me but will keep watching. Even more concerned what they are going to do with Black Panther as that is the next one off the blocks in November.

I think that one of the issues is that, OK the first films were OTT Superhero films but they remained slighlty grounded and now we have just totally over the top CGI fests with no real drama or connection to reality.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Multiverse has been around since the 60s lol it's a great concept

Plenty of chance to enhance stories and change actors

End game ended phase 3

So many new concepts coming in phase 4

I mean a whole new generation of fans to appeal to