Fighting the Fats again

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hitting my irons fat again and i have a question or two

Why is it if i take a couple of practice swings i gently brush the grass, then move in to the ball and take my swing and mostly i hit it fat taking a large divot.

My plane and weight shift appears to be good but i am losing clubspeed and distance hitting them mostly fat.

I have an idea and that is i am trying to hit at the ball instead swing ( like you do in practice swing )

Any tips or drills to work this fault away please ?

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
"I have an idea and that is i am trying to hit at the ball instead swing ( like you do in practice swing )"

Sounds very likely to me. Swing back and then swing through to a high finish. Do not think of stabbing at the ball, it should feel like a swish. Go back 3/4 and then go through 3/4. This should help you to accelerate smoothly through the impact area rather than slashing at the ball. Its true when they say that the ball gets in the way, let it feel like that.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
At a guess, you are trying to help the ball up in the air.
You may lean back a bit onto your back foot which doesn't help.
Make sure you stay centred over the ball on the back swing and drive onto your front foot during the downswing finishing on the toe of your back foot.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Make sure you stay centred over the ball on the back swing and drive onto your front foot during the downswing finishing on the toe of your back foot.

I'm definitely warming to you :mad:

Perhaps a name change is in order.... Bobfoley? :whistle:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm definitely warming to you :mad:

Perhaps a name change is in order.... Bobfoley? :whistle:

Once upon a time, back in the 70s, I saw a video of Jack Nicklaus tell everyone to keep their head still on the back swing, to the point his teacher Jack Grout used to hold his hair so he didnt sway onto his back foot.
Since that day, I have always tried to do this and have always encouraged others to do the same.
Head still and turn.
Nothing to do with S&T
Nothing to do with Plumber, Axel Foley or Gordon Bennett.

And certainly nothing to do with anything I have read on this forum in the last 2 years.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Once upon a time, back in the 70s, I saw a video of Jack Nicklaus tell everyone to keep their head still on the back swing, to the point his teacher Jack Grout used to hold his hair so he didnt sway onto his back foot.

I remember reading about that... just shows how young I am :D

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Not sure its weight shift i have worked on that and checked and doubled checked and i am on front foot at finish.

Went to range again this afternoon to work on it and discovered

1. Most of practice swings were good, odd one heavy conect with range mat

2.Actual shots again many heavy contact a few ( 10% ) were perfect contact and the ball zipping off the face with a very nice feel ( light contact )

Worked on posture ball position and path and could not find the reason, unless i am dipping but i do not believe i am

I think i have a possible reason and would be interested to hear if this is likely

As i am a tall and big guy, i think i am maybe putting too much muscle in the downswing which may be throwing / pulling my arms down slightly causing heavy contact with the mat, a bit like the inertia of the downswing is lowering my point of contact by an inch or two

Tried to prove this with more rigid top of arm to chest contact but found this too rigid and screwed everything up and starting hooking the ball and still heavy contact

I even tried hovering instead of grounding the club, this made little difference if any

Off the tee i can get away with this but on the fairway hitting fat is destroying my game

To be honest i am at a loss ?

Any ideas my this would happen ?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
As I said in my post, it was a guess and without seeing your swing, it's impossible to tell for sure.
Do you have a video of your swing please?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Sounds like you may be releasing the club too early. As soon as you lose the angle in the right wrist on the downswing you are inviting the club to hit the ground before the ball.

[EDIT] LOL... should have read the whole thread,,, yes it sounds like flipping.