February subscriber issues/issue size

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Evening all

I'm just following up on a coupe of threads from this week.

LATE DELIVERY OF SUBSCRIBER ISSUES
I'm sorry to hear that some of you have yet to receive your subscriber copies of the February issue. FWIW I only got mine on Tuesday of this week.If there were no weather issues I, and every other subscriber, should have had it between Christmas and New Year.

Contrary to what one person might have been told by the subscriptions department all our 25,000 subs copies were couriered from our printers in Yorkshire into the IPC mailing house in Birmingham on December 20th and were into the Royal Mail system the next day.

The delays on this issue are entirely down to Royal Mail and the understandable impact of the bad weather we all experienced before Christmas. This situation was then compounded by backlog the normal extra demand on them at Christmas.

I'm afraid that once the magazines leave our mailing house we, and of course you, are completely in the hands of the Royal Mail.

As I advised in an earlier post if you haven’t had the issue please phone the subscriber hotline and let them know - you will, as many others posting here have, get your subscription extended by an issue by way of compensation.

For those who haven’t taken matters into their own hands and gone a bought a copy at the newsstand I have managed to source a box (20) of issues and will happily send one out FOC. This will be on a first come first served basis please email me michael_harris@ipcmedia.com with your name and address and I'll get a copy in the post to you.

ISSUE SIZE
I noticed a couple of posters say they hadn't bought the issue because it felt a bit 'thin'. The reason it was 'thin' was because at this time of year the advertising drops off as brands aren’t launching new product.

For nayone who is interested here is a bit of backgropund that explains how the ratios or editorial and advertsing pages works. Some of this I have covered before, other stuff I haven't

Every issue of Golf Monthly has between 102 ediorial pages (the February issue in question) and 114 ediotial pages (normally July) in it - with the average around the 107 mark.

Advertising and promotional pages vary between a low of 30 (the February issue in question) and a high of 70 (June issue).

This means issue ssizes vary between a low of 132 and a high of 180 during the year.

These are only guide figures and if we get more advertising than these quotas then we automaticlaly produce more editorial pages to keep the ratio of editorial to advertisng pages never less than 60/40 in favour of editorial.

However, if we dont sell all the advertisng alloaction then we come down in total issue but still keep all the ediotrial pages meaning there's an even higher percentage of editorial to ads.

In other words for those who don’t like to see advertising this was the issue of the year to buy as 78 percent of it was editorial!

Out of interest GM, Today’s Golfer and Golf World were all 132 pages for this issue and from a rough count all had the same split of editorial to advertising/promo pages.

One reason ours might have felt particularly skinny this month was because it was polybagged with the free tees and none of the other mags had a promotion. The polybags are made to be able to accomodate anything up to the size of our biggest packages (like May issue which contained a 180 page magazine and the free 60 page equipment guide) so when it’s only a 132 page issue plus a bag of tees it will feel quite loose.

Hope that's all of interest/use/whatever

Have a good weekend, hope those who are planning to get some golfing in get on the tee!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the response Mike.

Mine arrived on Tuesday, and I am quite happy with the content. Nice not to have a gate fold cover too!

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
We'll i enjoyed this months issue, good to get an explanation on how the lauch monitors work and the power issue with Dustin Johnson was a good insight into how he hits so bloody far,the problem is you cant keep everyone happy all of the time.

goldenbare

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Are we all lining up for our money back guarantee from MIke after we still can't hit the ball any further after all those power issue tips? :D

Or do we all still live in hope? ;)

I think they're publishing these articles in the winter so in the summer we think we are hitting the balls further :D

bluenose10

Assistant Pro
www.collingtreeparkgolf.com
I was one of the posters that said that I never bought the magazine because I thought it was thin so to be honest for you to address the issue is much appreciated and will probably buy the magazine now. I do have one question, the issues that were on sale in my local tesco store weren't polybagged and had no tees in them... Do certain retailer have different copies of the magazine polybagged or not? Not questioning whether they are or not just that maybe I will buy my copy from somewhere where they are bagged and have the extras with it? I only buy from the tesco normally as it's 2 mins from the house so haven't checked anywhere else. Cheers

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Enjoying the new issue Mike, but the free tees are useless to me. My hand is much too shakey to get the ball to stay on them.

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting stuff and a fascinating insight into the world of publishing. And here we all were thinking they made it up as they went along! ;)

robbest3offthetee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hi Mike, Just had a phone call off someone about subscribing to GM with 35% off and 12 free srixon balls,can you tell me if this is genuine as i dont know where they would have got my phone no from as im ex directory,many thanks ,rob....

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Hi all
thanks for the feedback - Just following up on a couple of things

From Bluenose10
I do have one question, the issues that were on sale in my local tesco store weren't polybagged and had no tees in them... Do certain retailer have different copies of the magazine polybagged or not?

Hi Bluenose Every copy of the February issue (the one with Dustin Johnson on the cover) sold in supermarkets, newsagents, WH Smiths etc should have been polybagged and have the tees with it. Can you let me know which Tesco this was so our distribution guys can look into this. In the meantime email me your address and I'll whack a copy with the tees in the post to you FOC

From robbest3offthetee
Hi Mike, Just had a phone call off someone about subscribing to GM with 35% off and 12 free srixon balls,can you tell me if this is genuine as i dont know where they would have got my phone no from as im ex directory,many thanks ,rob....

Hi Rob
the 12 Z stars and a years subscription for £35 which (35% off the rack rate annual sub price of £56) is the current offer we're running so yes the offer is a genuine one. We must have you telephone number from being a previous subscriber or a competition entry that you opted into communications from GM/IPCmedia

D

Deleted member 1740

Still not received mine yet hoping our postie will bring it monday or tuesday next week.

Mike don'worry pal size doesn't matter! :D :D

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
Just one thing, I was going to subscribe online at the £35 but it doesnt state on it anywhere about the z stars? I might give them a call tomorrow and order over the phone.

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Hi Parmo
the Z-Stars + reduced price in the offer we are running in the February magazine which is different to the current online one. You might need a special code (dont have a copy of the mag to hand) but when you phone to take out the subscription just say its the one in the current issue and I hope that will be OK
let me know if you have any problems
cheers