Favourite golfing book?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Given it's World Book Day what golfing book would you take with you to a desert island? Would probably be happy with any Feinstein or Frost classic but would likely go with Feinstein's Caddy For Life

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I loved John Feinstein's A Good Walk Spoiled

It gives such an engaging insight into one year of the lives and toils of the not quite elite but pretty darned good pro on the US PGA tour.

But instead I think I might well be tempted to take Bobby Jones' Golf is My Game

In this Jones describes the simplicity of how he views hitting a golf ball and his life in golf - but more perhaps it's how he writes on his thoughts on how he designed and how to play each of the holes of Augusta Masters - and with the accompanying line drawings of each in my mind I'd be able to play Augusta every single day...and before long I'd be winning the Masters and I'd become the GOAT :)

Carlwm

Visit site
Andrew Greig's Preferred Lies.

It's a funny and poignant memoir-cum-love letter to golf set against a background of eighteen rounds of golf played on courses of varying standard across Scotland.

It's one of my favourite books, regardless of genre.

Bobthesock

Visit site
Not sure what it's called but the one where a journalist is a caddy for a European tour journeyman. Finished it in a day

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Desert Island rules apply so it would have to be a hefty one.

Tom Morris of St Andrews: The Colossus of Golf 1821-1909 by David Malcolm and Peter E. Crabtree

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Ben Hogan's authorised biography. Has the saddest opening paragraph I've ever read in a golf book

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ELXQYMK/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

"No Hiding in the Open" Absolutely shocking & totally surprising ending, making you want to read his next, not golf related book.

I played in a golf day with the author.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/No-Hiding-...no+hiding+in+the+open,digital-text,122&sr=1-1

"The Education of a Golfer" Sam Snead. Hilarious

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Education-...education+of+a+golfer,digital-text,135&sr=1-1

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Lots to choose from, albeit not quite as many as there are about cricket or baseball.

My favourite has to be The Match: The Day the Game of Golf Changed Forever by Mark Frost, which is about the encounter at Cypress Point in 1956 between Byron Nelson and Ben Hogan and Ken Venturi and Harvie Ward.
I also enjoyed:
To The Linksland by Michael Bamberger, about his year long adventure as a caddy for Peter Teravainen on the European Tour, and his lessons with the legendary Scottish teacher John Stark.
My Baby Got The Yips by Richard Russell, 6 handicapper at Sunningdale and self confessed 'ordinary golfer'. Very funny.