Favourite golfing book?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I've got The Match on my golf books shelf - to be read. I need a book for the next few days so may well take that one with me.
Recently finished this account of the famous 1957 4BBB match between pros and amateurs (Hogan and Nelson vs Venturi and Ward). Gives hole by hole walkthrough of the play but also most interestingly for me the back stories of the four protagonists plus their backers (George Coleman for the pros, Eddie Lowery for the ams).

ClicketyClick

Visit site
Lots of great suggestions in this thread, many of which I've been meaning to pick up. I'm a fan of sporting autobiographies in general: any recommendations on professional golfers' autobiographies (not instructionals) as I feel it's maybe a genre which has been slightly overlooked here?

Personally, my favourite is Bobby Jones' Bobby Jones on Golf, wee bit surprised it hasn't been mentioned here. An absolute joy to read.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The Legend of Bagger Vance was a book before the film, not read it yet so i'll probably get that for next months audible choice

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Lots of great suggestions in this thread, many of which I've been meaning to pick up. I'm a fan of sporting autobiographies in general: any recommendations on professional golfers' autobiographies (not instructionals) as I feel it's maybe a genre which has been slightly overlooked here?

Personally, my favourite is Bobby Jones' Bobby Jones on Golf, wee bit surprised it hasn't been mentioned here. An absolute joy to read.

John Dalys autobio is definitely worth a read

Albo

Visit site
An American caddie in St Andrews. First time we played the Old Course he caddied for one of our group. Really nice guy very helpful to everyone in the group. Definitely added to a great day.
Im reading this at the moment. Enjoyable easy read

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Are all these books being mentioned instruction books, or history books?

I’ve only ever read one instruction book, Tiger’s How I play golf. It was boring as hell.
Surely, Hell isn't boring! So many mates to reminisce with!;)

Carlwm

Visit site
Any other recommendations of golf books on St Andrews, esp on the architecture please

Whilst it doesn't go into vast amounts of detail, Tommy's Honour by Kevin Cook touches upon Tom Morris' work at St Andrews. I should imagine that the other Tom Morris biography mentioned earlier - Tom Morris of St Andrews by David Malcom & Peter E. Crabtree - might cover his work as a course architect, more thoroughly.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

I’ve got Bobby Jones’ Golf is My Game on the shelf to be read so not mentioned. I expect it to be good as I‘ve delved into it during the Masters and found really interesting what I read.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just finished reading Poulters no limits bio. It’s the first golf book I’ve read that I’ve really enjoyed and definitely makes you understand him more and his RC passion. Clearly written some time ago, I’d like to read a new version including the LIV stuff

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Not a favourite but an interesting read. "To Win & Die in Dixie" It's about the life & death of James Douglas Edgar, who was at one time pro at Northumberland Golf Club in my neck of the woods. He emigrated to the USA in1919 & won the Canadian Open with a margin of 16 shots, still a PGA record. Vardon said of him "This is a man who will one day be the greatest of us all." He was found murdered in Atlanta, Georgia & his killers were never found. He wrote an instruction book, which I have got, & is reckoned by some to have invented the Modern Golf Swing. There is a Kindle version available.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
A bit different to the other suggestions perhaps, but Commander in Cheat: How Golf Explains Trump by Rick Reilly was hilarious. Some of the things he has done are so outrageous you can scarcely believe anybody would behave that way. Literally awarding himself club championships when he didn't play in them and all sorts.

For a more normal suggestion, I found Rotella's Golf Is Not A Game of Perfect very helpful for my mental state on the course several years ago. It really helped me cut out the anger tantrums I used to have! I still get angry of course, I just hide it better with sarcasm and self-deprecation.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Further to my earlier post, I read two further instructional books that I think had a positive effect on my short game last year:
Bob Rotella - Putting Out Of Your Mind
Dan Grieve - Three Releases: The Short Game System

Skytot

Visit site
Further to my earlier post, I read two further instructional books that I think had a positive effect on my short game last year:
Bob Rotella - Putting Out Of Your Mind
Dan Grieve - Three Releases: The Short Game System
Am I right that Dan Grieve book is only available on Download?