Favourite classic club

SyR

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My Ping Anser putter is an iconic putter and is still used every round by me.
The Callaway Big Bertha War Bird driver is the classic driver. I haven't owned one, but I used to see / hear them all the time as a junior and a caddy. It's the best sound of any driver ever in my opinion.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yep, that's the shaft that was in mine too! I've never had a Titleist Driver and only 1 Callaway.

No problem re correction - in fact thanks!
The TEI3 was the only Scotty that ever felt comfortable for me. The Bettinardi milled ones were without the elastimor surrounding to the insert - as his CNC milling kit (his main business was apparently milling gear for other industries) could provide the tolerance level required.

Some of the later Cameron Classics were done under his Titleist deal, but Langer's Masters win was before that.

I had one of the Augusta Winner versions, back in my collecting days:

DSC02615.jpgDSC02616.jpgDSC02617.jpgDSC02618.jpg

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Some of the later Cameron Classics were done under his Titleist deal, but Langer's Masters win was before that.
Apparently, from some time in 93 to some time in 98, all SC heads were produced by Bettinardi. Scotty was the dedigner and marketer.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
As with others, a few of the clubs in my bag are over 10 years old. In terms of classic clubs, then
  • Cleveland Classic - I still have the 3 & 5 woods in my bag. Still fly off the turf or the tee.
  • Ram Zebra - Used by lots of pro's in their day.
  • Callaway Big Bertha - not everyones cup of tea, but they did make golf a lot easier for lots of people.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Apparently, from some time in 93 to some time in 98, all SC heads were produced by Bettinardi. Scotty was the dedigner and marketer.

Bob Bettinardi certainly worked for Scotty, and they certainly fell out, neither of those is in dispute.

I think he worked mostly on the handmade and Tour specials, though, but that may well have included Langer and Tiger's Masters putters.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ditto to James R.

One club that changed my game was the Wilson Whale driver. My first foray in to graphite shafts and oversize heads (it was a wood laminate which was bored out behind the strike plate to also give heel toe weighting). Most of my longest and straight drives were hit with that club.

Irons

My most favourite set were Jack Nicklaus N1 (I still own them), as used by Lee Jansen to win one of his US Opens (not my clubs that is)

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ditto to James R.

One club that changed my game was the Wilson Whale driver. My first foray in to graphite shafts and oversize heads (it was a wood laminate which was bored out behind the strike plate to also give heel toe weighting). Most of my longest and straight drives were hit with that club.

Irons

My most favourite set were Jack Nicklaus N1 (I still own them), as used by Lee Jansen to win one of his US Opens (not my clubs that is)

Yeah, I remember the whale. The N1s were from the Nickalus company and had a sort of H-shaped frame on the back, didn't they?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
The Wilson Sam Snead blue ridge irons I had in the 70’s, along with the 2 wood which I quite literally wore out. After that it would be my Mizuno TP9’s, including the (hand warming) 1 iron.

1642094239289.jpeg