Fatigue

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Having hit a pretty good (for me) 94 on Sunday. I'd been looking forward to getting back out ASAP as I knew I'd left loads of putts out their. My bro in law convincede to play a round this morning, having just done a night shift. By the time the round was over if been up 25 hours straight!

the reason I ask is becAuse after 7 holes I was only 4 over. Then had a choking fit, seemed to dap my last bit of adrenaline and I slumped to 117! A total of 38 putts which I was chuffed about. The driver was still pretty standard, but shorter than usual but all in play. The irons, from 8th of just fell apart, I hit every bad shot imaginable. As the round deteriated to my bros amusement I clang to the hope that I was just tired, and not just my handicap catching me up. So my question is this, anybody got a history of playing whilst excessively tired, with any similar horror story's to make me feel better!
!

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Playing tired will never help you, in a game where concentration is key a lack of sleep will be a game killer... But Phil Mick turned up to the US Open late and had around 2 hours sleep before his round and had great day.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
I often play after doing a night shift (and playing that day of that night shift, i.e 2 rounds on 1 nights sleep and 30+ hours awake) and find the second a bit easier. Simply because I can't hammer the ball so much and end up plotting my way round the course.
I will say that as soon as I get to sit down, I'm done. The club house can be quite loud but I've been caught nodding a few times.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I often play after doing a night shift (and playing that day of that night shift, i.e 2 rounds on 1 nights sleep and 30+ hours awake) and find the second a bit easier. Simply because I can't hammer the ball so much and end up plotting my way round the course.
I will say that as soon as I get to sit down, I'm done. The club house can be quite loud but I've been caught nodding a few times.[/QUOTE
i think I played my first bad **** on the 8th and it got in my head, I also really like my bed!

D

Deleted member 15344

Having hit a pretty good (for me) 94 on Sunday. I'd been looking forward to getting back out ASAP as I knew I'd left loads of putts out their. My bro in law convincede to play a round this morning, having just done a night shift. By the time the round was over if been up 25 hours straight!

the reason I ask is becAuse after 7 holes I was only 4 over. Then had a choking fit, seemed to dap my last bit of adrenaline and I slumped to 117! A total of 38 putts which I was chuffed about. The driver was still pretty standard, but shorter than usual but all in play. The irons, from 8th of just fell apart, I hit every bad shot imaginable. As the round deteriated to my bros amusement I clang to the hope that I was just tired, and not just my handicap catching me up. So my question is this, anybody got a history of playing whilst excessively tired, with any similar horror story's to make me feel better!
!

When you're tired it's hard to stay focused and to concentrate - you end up not really thinking when you play

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It is a common problem. I struggle a lot in the heat and if I don't eat and drink regularly as I'm diabetic so my sugar levels tends to spike a bit. I would forget about it and consider the weekend round more representative. If I was in your boots I'd be hitting the range just to make sure those gremlin iron shots are out of the system

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
My 60year old playing partner works nights , and sometimes plays having only had a couple hours sleep, I can see his game start to collapse as the round goes on due to his tiredness, and he is a ex pro footballer and still quite fit.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm fine unless I start to struggle when I find it difficult to concentrate and focus. I'm usually quite good at recovering from a dodgy start or few holes but if I'm very tired I find it almost impossible. It's a difficult game to play tired.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
There was a piece in the press this week that referenced a study to help those with poor quality & interrupted sleep, they found as an aside that getting a good nights sleep (for those who didn't) actually improved their golf handicap by up to a third

So bed by 9pm if you're playing in the morning!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I often play when I come back from china. It gives me a 40 hour day, but I find staying awake til proper bed time gets me back to UK time quicker. I only bash the ball round, and use it as a means of occupying myself, without sitting in a chair. I never count the score.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Just got back from the range. I'm Blaming it on fatigue, be it physical or mental. Didn't hit anything like as bad as yesterday. Just back to my usual high handicapper golf!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
must be something in it, my only real exp of this type of thing was playing at Fairmont St Andrews last summer.

left Sneckie a 6am drove to Broughty Ferry played Monifieth, went on the lash in Broughty till the wee small hours. had to be at Fairmont for 8am tee next morning. Played the first 5 holes is 3 under, then just ran out of steam big time. i don't think i finished a hole on the back 9 apart from a short par 4 that must have been 14th or 15th, and thats only because i drove the green...

Vikingman

Head Pro
Visit site
There was a piece in the press this week that referenced a study to help those with poor quality & interrupted sleep, they found as an aside that getting a good nights sleep (for those who didn't) actually improved their golf handicap by up to a third

Saw this.

Evidently snoring is not good for golfers.

EuanRoss

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My 2nd best ever round of golf was a 66 (+3) at Cullen after about 3 hours sleep and a monster night on the lash after scoring 77 in Rd 1 of the 4-day-open. Thought I'd no chance of making the cuts after R1 so may as well get guttered. Shot 66 and made it by 1.

Played most of last season after getting in from work at 3.30 am and pegging it up at 7am-7.30am, had my best season ever.

Maybe I'm just weird.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site

As a chronic insomniac, that's my excuse for rubbish golf...