'Fat' putter grips for a right-hand up, Bernhard Langer grip

Astraeus

Head Pro
Visit site
Gents,

Having never really focused on my putting, this year I spent some time developing my comfortable, natural grip and technique and it has worked wonders and attracted admiration and inquisition alike from my PPs. I putt with my right hand on top, left hand under, with my right hand gripping my left wrist and I hold the putter with my left first finger pointing down the grip as far as the metal of the shaft. Compared to my previous, uneducated technique, I have found it to be remarkably stable and it has entirely eliminated pushes and pulls owing to the reduced propensity to twist during the stroke.

A PP on Saturday was using a 'fat' grip and it got me thinking of the mechanics of it because I presume the fat grip has the same effect as my right hand gripping my left, in that it reduces the opportunity for twisting. Is that correct? If so I am tempted to head up to AG and try out some fat grips to see if that negates the requirement for me to grip my wrist (which does have the effect of reducing my ability to generate power on longer putts).

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Gents,

Having never really focused on my putting, this year I spent some time developing my comfortable, natural grip and technique and it has worked wonders and attracted admiration and inquisition alike from my PPs. I putt with my right hand on top, left hand under, with my right hand gripping my left wrist and I hold the putter with my left first finger pointing down the grip as far as the metal of the shaft. Compared to my previous, uneducated technique, I have found it to be remarkably stable and it has entirely eliminated pushes and pulls owing to the reduced propensity to twist during the stroke.

A PP on Saturday was using a 'fat' grip and it got me thinking of the mechanics of it because I presume the fat grip has the same effect as my right hand gripping my left, in that it reduces the opportunity for twisting. Is that correct? If so I am tempted to head up to AG and try out some fat grips to see if that negates the requirement for me to grip my wrist (which does have the effect of reducing my ability to generate power on longer putts).

if wanting to reduce/eliminate unwanted right hand/wrist action, as well as trying a 'fat' handle try out a fat counter balanced handled putter

toffeelover

Medal Winner
Visit site
Been trying the 'left below right' putting method for 3-4 months, and was tempted by an Odyssey Works Versa 1 with a Super Stroke 3.0 slim grip, having played around with it at the Kings of Distance event this year.

However, I found it hard to find a stable, repeatable grip with the Super Stroke (grip was simply too fat for me), so much so that I've lobbed it on eBay this week and gone back to my trusty TaylorMade Classic Est 79 Daytona 8 Putter (TM180) putter.

The search for my perfect putter continues :rolleyes:

Last edited: