Farmers Insurance Ooen

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So they bring them off due to the wind and rain after 90% of the field have started. If they were playing in the UK they'd never get a competition finished.

Yes they are playing for a lot of money but since when has a bit of wind and rain stopped you from playing golf. If you can put an umbrella up to protect you it is fit enough to play golf in.

I expect the fair weather golfers to disagree with this.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
So they bring them off due to the wind and rain after 90% of the field have started. If they were playing in the UK they'd never get a competition finished.

Yes they are playing for a lot of money but since when has a bit of wind and rain stopped you from playing golf. If you can put an umbrella up to protect you it is fit enough to play golf in.

I expect the fair weather golfers to disagree with this.

'A bit of wind and rain' doesn't normally stop me. However, these conditions are pretty harsh for those playing for their livelhood - it becomes a lottery as opposed to a competition.

FWIW only 2 of the 63 who have started are under par for the round, a stat normally associated with the likes of US Open rather than 'normal' events, though this is traditionally a pretty severe test - that these conditions could make ridiculous!

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
'A bit of wind and rain' doesn't normally stop me. However, these conditions are pretty harsh for those playing for their livelhood - it becomes a lottery as opposed to a competition.

FWIW only 2 of the 63 who have started are under par for the round, a stat normally associated with the likes of US Open rather than 'normal' events, though this is traditionally a pretty severe test - that these conditions could make ridiculous!

Pretty sure that most of them will have completed comps in conditions like that in their amateur days. It adds a bit of interest when they have to factor the wind and rain into the shots. It made me laugh yesterday when they commented on how strong the wind was when it was blowing at 20mph. Look how much Knost was complaining as he didn't fancy the putt on three and then sank a monster for his birdie and then it was high fives all round.

The PGA also knew what the weather was going to be like well in advance so why call it off when most of the field had started, it's just handed it on a plate to the leading groups.

SugarPenguin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
How ridiculous!
The elements are part of the game. So long as its not standing water and its not torrential rain / snow they should get on with it.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The fact the organisers did nothing to slow the greens down yesterday, in preparation for today's wind makes me laugh. Not watching at the moment, but hopefully there can be some cricket scores coming in. I take a strange sense of happiness when the course and conditions start to beat the players up

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rob Lee has just said gusts of 30mph are unplayable ??? I can't remember when I last played without 30mph winds!!!

snell

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The fact the organisers did nothing to slow the greens down yesterday, in preparation for today's wind makes me laugh. Not watching at the moment, but hopefully there can be some cricket scores coming in. I take a strange sense of happiness when the course and conditions start to beat the players up

Yeah you're bang on, they should have let the greens grow up some taking into account the wind.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The PGA are worse than the Europeans Tour by the looks of it. like yesterdays weather being described as "Brutal".... 17mph wind and 17deg temp wise. thats better than i get to play in middle of summer.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
They get taken off the course, and then when the weather abates they have a half hour practice, and then it takes another half hour to get back onto the golf course, and by the time they are ready to play, it's too windy, and they stop again.

What's with the half hour practice? They have only just come off the course, and with their usual glacial pace of play they often only play one shot every 20 minutes anyway?

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Embarrassing that skilled, athletic grown men can't be tempted to play in a little wind and rain. No doubt their nutritionists are all now in a spin trying to manage the break in play; "don't have the bacon sandwich PLEASE!! it's not worth it.. have some wheatgrass and gravel for heavens sake". Oh and the sponsors, won't somebody please think of the sponsors??

Shameful.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sneds managed a 3 under. Shame that the rest get to go out tomorrow in better weather and start again. Not impressed tbf.

Not that I have money on it or anything :whistle:

ShankyBoy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It was hilarious, about time we got to see them play in conditions most of us have been the past few months. My winter scores don't look too bad now :)

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In fairness, they did try to slow the greens down yesterday by only single cutting them and not rolling them.

They did everything they could to get it played but it becomes unfair after a certain point, especially when they're playing for so much money. Just before they called it off, KJ Choi hit a decent drive 216 yards, which left him 223 into a Par 4. Starts to become a little ridiculous when the conditions are that severe compared to what some of the earlier starters had to deal with.

Also, as mentioned, balls moving about on the green just makes it farcical. Although, they changed the rules this year so as not to penalise if it's certain that the player's actions didn't cause the move (on the greens only, I believe?).

Biggest reason for knocking it on the head though is safety. There was signage blown across the fairways, the media tent was evacuated because it was at risk of falling down and several trees came down. Only takes something to hit a player / caddy / spectator and it could have cost the PGA a fair few quid.

Plus, it means we get golf to watch on Monday :)