Fairway wood thoughts

Dopper85

Visit site
Hi All,

New member and new to golf. I’ve been playing since March and have started to score in the high 90’s.

My current set up is as per signature and I can’t help but feel I could do with a fairway wood whilst still learning the game. I can hit my hybrid around 160 yards from the fairway but the issue I tend to have is I get a lot of height on all my shots and this leaves me short on some of the longer par 4s / 5s.

Would a fairway wood be much of an improvement over a hybrid RE distance? I’ve seen a MacGregor Mactec adjustable fairway which at £50 new seems a reasonable deal (I appreciate that it’s not a premium club but I’m not a premium golfer either LOL)

thanks

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Give a try I could never hit my 3 hybrid consistently, I prefer fairways. Lots of people struggle with 3w off the deck so something you can adjust sounds like a good idea if you are experimenting.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi All,

New member and new to golf. I’ve been playing since March and have started to score in the high 90’s.

My current set up is as per signature and I can’t help but feel I could do with a fairway wood whilst still learning the game. I can hit my hybrid around 160 yards from the fairway but the issue I tend to have is I get a lot of height on all my shots and this leaves me short on some of the longer par 4s / 5s.

Would a fairway wood be much of an improvement over a hybrid RE distance? I’ve seen a MacGregor Mactec adjustable fairway which at £50 new seems a reasonable deal (I appreciate that it’s not a premium club but I’m not a premium golfer either LOL)

thanks

I think a stronger lofted hybrid might help, or one not designed to launch so high. I personally only use a 3 wood off the tee, although there are plenty of people who use them regularly from the turf, but for me it's hybrid or iron only.

It's very difficult to suggest the right clubs for people in terms of what actual make and model.

I'd suggest not going for the MacGregor as it is quite a niche brand these days. Sticking to 2nd hand clubs from the main manufacturers; Ping, Taylor Made, Callaway, Titleist is a better bet because they will be easier to sell on and hold their value.

If you buy something 2nd hand that is 5 years old and use it for a few months and decide it's not right, there's a reasonable chance you'll get most of all of your money back unless you've over paid in the 1st place.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Your 3 hybrid is probably 19°, your 4 hybrid 22°
Any hybrid stronger than that is going to be harder to hit than a fairway wood, generally.
Just down to the design and position of the centre of gravity, the lower loft you go with a hybrid, generally, the more clubbed speed you need to make it work.
A 4 wood with 16/17° of loft will be easier to hit and will go as far as a 3 wood at 15°

Dopper85

Visit site
Your 3 hybrid is probably 19°, your 4 hybrid 22°
Any hybrid stronger than that is going to be harder to hit than a fairway wood, generally.
Just down to the design and position of the centre of gravity, the lower loft you go with a hybrid, generally, the more clubbed speed you need to make it work.
A 4 wood with 16/17° of loft will be easier to hit and will go as far as a 3 wood at 15°

sorry, does a stronger loft mean lower degrees?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Maybe look second hand for a 3W. Plenty of bargains out there and Ping, Callaway and TM are good brands (there are plenty of others) and if you look at places like Golfbidder that offer a 7 day return policy.

Imurg

Visit site
sorry, does a stronger loft mean lower degrees?
Certainly does.
Rule of thumb is that for an average swing speed a fairway will fly higher and further than a hybrid of the same loft. You have a longer shaft for more speed and the CoG is lower and further back from the face promoting a higher launch.
If you're a fast swinger (over 100mph with a driver) the fairway can create too much spin and you'll lose distance as a result .
In that instance a 17° hybrid might be beneficial - but you need that sort of swing speed to make it work.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
theyre 19 and 22 degrees (TM Aeroburners)

I have the same lofts in my bag. I had a 3 wood but didn't like hitting it off the deck. Then had a 5 wood in there which was better all round, but with it being 18° I found I was never hitting the 19° so was carrying it for nothing.

I've just added a 4 wood at 17°

Only just arrived, so not hit it yet, but matches my driver so hoping it's the answer.

Could look at the cobra woods, think the f7/f8 are 13-16 for 3 and 17-20 for 5

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Certainly does.
Rule of thumb is that for an average swing speed a fairway will fly higher and further than a hybrid of the same loft. You have a longer shaft for more speed and the CoG is lower and further back from the face promoting a higher launch.
If you're a fast swinger (over 100mph with a driver) the fairway can create too much spin and you'll lose distance as a result .
In that instance a 17° hybrid might be beneficial - but you need that sort of swing speed to make it work.

This also depends to some extent on your way of striking a ball. I tend to hit the ball high with my irons (so a Ping fitter told me and also borne out of what I've witnessed when comparing my shots to others). I do not have a fast sing speed and I use a 17 degree hybrid with a stiff shaft and struggle with the 3W (albeit I was fitted with a 5W shaft in mine). It would be worth trying a lower lofted hybrid against a 3W and maybe a 5W to see what works for you. As Imurg says you may get a bit more distance out of the woods, but the best club would be the one that you can hit well more consistently.

Imurg

Visit site
This also depends to some extent on your way of striking a ball. I tend to hit the ball high with my irons (so a Ping fitter told me and also borne out of what I've witnessed when comparing my shots to others). I do not have a fast sing speed and I use a 17 degree hybrid with a stiff shaft and struggle with the 3W (albeit I was fitted with a 5W shaft in mine). It would be worth trying a lower lofted hybrid against a 3W and maybe a 5W to see what works for you. As Imurg says you may get a bit more distance out of the woods, but the best club would be the one that you can hit well more consistently.
There's always one isn't there......why is it always you:ROFLMAO::cool:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a Ping G400 5 wood it is adjustable for loft.
It’s the easiest wood to hit I have ever owned
Bit off your budget but second hand worth every penny.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a cobra wood, it has an adjustable head. You could try a 5W and turn it down to closer to a 4W?
I'd agree with this. 5 wood are usually easier to hit than 3 woods I would say. With the extra loft and slightly shorter shaft. Get an adjustable 5 wood and lower the loft slightly to 17 or 16.5 perhaps.

Mandofred

Visit site
I was playing 16,19+ 22 hybrid (adjustable +/- 2 degrees). I had the 16 turned down and at times played ok....but as mentioned previously....I needed more swing speed. Testing side by side on the practice field with my 5w I needed a good shot from the hybrid at 15 to get close to the 5w. That hybrid is sitting in the garage and will sell it to someone if I get off my butt. I've since turned the 19 to 20 and the 22 to 24 and I like them there....the 24 has turned into my safe club for hitting around 170. Added the Ping 5 w and turned it down to 16.5 which seems about right for me. Now if my frickin putter would start working.....just can't get the blasted ball to go in the hole lately.