F1 2022

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
It’s interesting how although cars can follow more closely, the change to aero rules also means that DRS is less effective.

I wonder if anyone has done any work to see what the lap delta required is for an overtake this season vs last season? Wouldn’t be surprised if it isn’t THAT different.

Overall I’d say better that cars can follow closely, not sure it’s massively more entertaining though.

F1 isn’t just about overtaking. The ability to follow another car closely allows a driver to put pressure on the other. An exciting battle doesn’t have to end in an overtake. Like when Vettel spun whilst being chased down by Button.

Some exciting races have a handful o overtakes. Some dull races, like Miami have lots.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
F1 isn’t just about overtaking. The ability to follow another car closely allows a driver to put pressure on the other. An exciting battle doesn’t have to end in an overtake. Like when Vettel spun whilst being chased down by Button.

Some exciting races have a handful o overtakes. Some dull races, like Miami have lots.

Of course, but drivers could put pressure on each other last season too, not as close, but drs was more powerful. The difference I guess is tyres hanging on better meaning they can stay even closer for longer, but I’m not seeing a great change in the levels of excitement between previous years and this season, yet.

Early days though I guess.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Of course, but drivers could put pressure on each other last season too, not as close, but drs was more powerful. The difference I guess is tyres hanging on better meaning they can stay even closer for longer, but I’m not seeing a great change in the levels of excitement between previous years and this season, yet.

Early days though I guess.
The issue atm is the cars are not matched. Some have good cornering speed, others straight line speed. They can only fight at certain parts of a tracks. Once they get things settled I think we’ll see more start to finish tussles.

Swango1980

Visit site
The issue atm is the cars are not matched. Some have good cornering speed, others straight line speed. They can only fight at certain parts of a tracks. Once they get things settled I think we’ll see more start to finish tussles.
The cars are never matched. It isn't IndyCar

Springveldt

Visit site
It’s interesting how although cars can follow more closely, the change to aero rules also means that DRS is less effective.

I wonder if anyone has done any work to see what the lap delta required is for an overtake this season vs last season? Wouldn’t be surprised if it isn’t THAT different.

Overall I’d say better that cars can follow closely, not sure it’s massively more entertaining though.
I think DRS is still effective and essentially the only way of overtaking at the moment (unless you're reckless like Max a lot of the time and just throw it down the inside and hope the other drivers moves out of your way).

The Red Bull has zero issues breezing past the Ferrari on the straights, it's just too fast while Ferrari is obviously faster through the slower corners and gets much better drive out of them. They should be unstoppable at places like Monaco but at a lot of other circuits I expect to see Ferrari take pole but during races Red Bull will just fly past once they are in DRS zones.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
According to the press, Hamilton could be banned from racing this weekend if he doesn’t remove his nose piercing. He has had 2 races to remove it as it (apparently) can only be removed surgically but turned up at Monaco with it still in. Is this the same Mercedes team that threatened legal action a few months ago when rules weren’t being applied correctly but now when the FIA try and impose a rule that has been in place for years……………

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
According to the press, Hamilton could be banned from racing this weekend if he doesn’t remove his nose piercing. He has had 2 races to remove it as it (apparently) can only be removed surgically but turned up at Monaco with it still in. Is this the same Mercedes team that threatened legal action a few months ago when rules weren’t being applied correctly but now when the FIA try and impose a rule that has been in place for years……………

I think there's a difference between breaking the rules to make your car go faster and therefor gaining an advantage over the other teams and having your nose pierced which he did in 2017.
What next, are they going to check the colour of his underpants?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think there's a difference between breaking the rules to make your car go faster and therefor gaining an advantage over the other teams and having your nose pierced which he did in 2017.
What next, are they going to check the colour of his underpants?
They check to make sure they are fire retardant ?
And it has been said in this forum loads of times, you can’t decide what rules you will or won’t obey.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
So why has it not been questioned in the last 5 seasons?
It's a whole host of jewellery he has to remove. He was given an exemption for certain piercings but he wants to get in the car jangling. It's the most pathetic thing to pick a fight over, Hamilton. He is a professional, act professionally ?‍♂️. Wear the bling before and after the race.

BiMGuy

Visit site

Where did you see this? I’ve not seen it mentioned by any reasonably trustworthy press this week.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well one more day at work then off to Silverstone I go.
Interesting announcement from McClaren today about not further developing the car due to the budget cap, Red Bull making noises about having to lay staff off (god forbid they put their staff before max's wdc chances:rolleyes:), meanwhile Merc quietly going about their business. Could be a really intersting end to the season if, as I suspect, Toto has done his sums and the car isn't that good as they haven't blown their budget trying to get an early season advantage.

BiMGuy

Visit site
Well one more day at work then off to Silverstone I go.
Interesting announcement from McClaren today about not further developing the car due to the budget cap, Red Bull making noises about having to lay staff off (god forbid they put their staff before max's wdc chances:rolleyes:), meanwhile Merc quietly going about their business. Could be a really intersting end to the season if, as I suspect, Toto has done his sums and the car isn't that good as they haven't blown their budget trying to get an early season advantage.

Have fun. Unfortunately I’ll not be going this year. A mate of mine has been given a weekend paddock club ticket the jammy git.

I think a few teams will struggle with the cost cap. From what I hear Redbull could be in serious trouble due to the cost of their early season development, and the rates Ferrari are going through could cause problems.

I suspect Horner and co think they can get the cost cap lifted, despite previously saying rules shouldn’t be changed during the season. Maybe they can short fuel Perez for a few races again to save some cash!