F1 2022

Swango1980

Visit site
If they can build a world beating car 8 years in a row, they're no dummies
They're not. But, history shows us that you can have absolutely dominant teams one year, and then instantly be left behind the next year. And, it is often very difficult to turn it around again to your advantage. Especially as the like of Ferrari and Red Bull (and most other constructors) have pretty good people working for them as well.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
But, history shows us that you can have absolutely dominant teams one year, and then instantly be left behind the next year. And, it is often very difficult to turn it around again to your advantage. Especially as the like of Ferrari and Red Bull (and most other constructors) have pretty good people working for them as well.

History does not shows us a team that dominates for 8 years and then instantly gets left behind the next year.

Swango1980

Visit site
History does not shows us a team that dominates for 8 years and then instantly gets left behind the next year.
I'm not sure if you are wedding yourself to this "8 years", as if 8 is a magic number.

Red Bull dominated for 4 years immediately before Mercedes smacked them out of the park.

Ferrari dominated for 5 years (2000-2004), although were in the picture a few years after. Then they became uncompetitive.

Williams were highly competitive, then became nothing. Same as McClaren.

It also depends what you define as "instantly gets left behind". Clearly, that does not mean they are bottom of the pack, as they are not. However, 2 teams have made significant progress ahead of them with the new rule changes, and Mercedes are now mixed in with the chasing pack.

So, my instinct is that Mercedes will more than likely NOT be able to close the gap this year. That being said, it would also not be a surprise if they did turn things around. It depends on how much testing they can do, the extent of the problems (and them being able to identify them) and how many changes that can feasibly make to this years car. My hope is they WILL be able to turn things around, it would be nice to see 3 teams fighting at the top (although I'd be content with the Red Bull car continually breaking down, as it makes me laugh)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It also depends what you define as "instantly gets left behind". Clearly, that does not mean they are bottom of the pack, as they are not. However, 2 teams have made significant progress ahead of them with the new rule changes, and Mercedes are now mixed in with the chasing pack.

Hardly....
George Russell is 2nd in the drivers championship
Mercedes is 2nd in the constructors championship

Swango1980

Visit site
Hardly....
George Russell is 2nd in the drivers championship
Mercedes is 2nd in the constructors championship
After 3 races. If you took any snippet of 3 consecutive races at any time in history, you might find the results do not match the actual performance of the cars and drivers. And, you are blissfully ignoring how those races panned out.

I think we all know Mercedes are currently "miles" behind Ferrari and Red Bull. Unless we think Red Bull are going to continue the trend of breaking down in most races.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It seems unlikely in the extreme that it's anything to do with the rake of the chassis.
Low v high rake was all to do with how to generate downforce from a flat bottom.
With ground effect now in use, that is history.
I appreciate the different downforce direction they are all working with, but I wonder whether the high rake chassis teams have approached the new rules from a different aspect because of that.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Hamilton no longer the best driver in his team, never mind in F1 history ?
H'mm...Bit early in the season to start that. From memory, it was 'bad timing' from the team that cost Hamilton the big points loss. I've never been one to compare drivers in different eras either.