F1 2021

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was trying to think why it's so bad - and it really is that bad! The cars look quite cool. There's some very decent drivers. So why so bad?

The sound is off-putting, so I tried once to watch with the sound down and some loud music on. It was still really uninvolving. Still felt more like scalectrix than motorsport.

I think the really artificial tracks don't help either. Most of them tend to look like temporary go-kart layouts. Maybe they should try proper circuits.

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
I was trying to think why it's so bad - and it really is that bad! The cars look quite cool. There's some very decent drivers. So why so bad?

The sound is off-putting, so I tried once to watch with the sound down and some loud music on. It was still really uninvolving. Still felt more like scalectrix than motorsport.

I think the really artificial tracks don't help either. Most of them tend to look like temporary go-kart layouts. Maybe they should try proper circuits.
They did and they all ran out of battery.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Camera footage from Verstappen's car has now been released. It's clear that Max knows Hamilton is overtaking him as he is constantly looking in this right mirror. He conveniently left his braking too late in order to push Hamilton off. He knew what he was doing and has gotten away with it.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Camera footage from Verstappen's car has now been released. It's clear that Max knows Hamilton is overtaking him as he is constantly looking in this right mirror. He conveniently left his braking too late in order to push Hamilton off. He knew what he was doing and has gotten away with it.

Yup. Masi has apparently said if they had that footage, max would have received a penalty.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This aged well

Including the Sprint Race, I think Hamilton overtook about 25-27 cars (including Verstappen twice, and thankfully only rammed off the track on one of those occasions). He wouldn't have done that at Monaco, a track where your comment would have been a sound one.

Other than Lewis, was there much overtaking?

Im delighted to be wrong about Hamilton, but I'm still not convinced Interlagos is an easy circuit to overtake on. Cars (other than LH) needed to be within about 0.4 coming out of the final turn to get the job done, which is pretty tough to do through the twisty midsection.

I'll make sure to trawl back through your posts and find some examples of when you've got something wrong, seeing as that's your style. Look out for the red symbol in the top right of your screen over the next few days.

Swango1980

Visit site
Other than Lewis, was there much overtaking?

Im delighted to be wrong about Hamilton, but I'm still not convinced Interlagos is an easy circuit to overtake on. Cars (other than LH) needed to be within about 0.4 coming out of the final turn to get the job done, which is pretty tough to do through the twisty midsection.

I'll make sure to trawl back through your posts and find some examples of when you've got something wrong, seeing as that's your style. Look out for the red symbol in the top right of your screen over the next few days.
You took that to heart

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Looks pretty conclusive that Max chose not to turn in until after he'd forced Lewis wide. At no point did he open the steering - he just chose not to apply any until very late. That's less of a slam-dunk than had he deliberately wound off the lock. Max is certainly a cunning operator.

One possible penalty that's been touted is a retrospective 5sec penalty on his race time, which interestingly would bring Bottas up to 2nd place (he was about 3 secs behind Max at the end).
I suspect that if any penalty is handed out, this would be preferable to Merc over say a 3 place grid penalty at the next race, because Max will easily overcome that against all other cars except Lewis and he'll also lose 3 points from Brazil.

The other thing that struck me about the onboard footage was the audio: that Honda engine sounds like a bag of nails compared to the Mercedes.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Merc have requested it be reviewed.... watch this space.... he'll probably get away with it though
If they didn't give him a grid pen next race a retrospective 5 sec pen would move Bottas up to second. But yeah I doubt the FIA have the balls to do it, the flooding in Milton Keynes would be too much to risk...

Edit - posted at the same time as cliveb

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why didn't the stewards have that footage available to them while making their decision?

The footage wasn’t being broadcast at the time. The onboard camera was facing the other way. I imagine they can’t have access to every single camera angle - the amount of screens, data bandwidth etc would be insane.

It wasn’t until the data was downloaded from MV’s car that they then can view it

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Footage out from the onboards …
Looks like some have let their emotions get the better of them.
Max stopped Lewis chopping across him at entry and it was too quick to take a clean line through the corner .. Lewis was wise to not engage and knew the corner would be given to Max had a contact taken place and both cars being retired.
Best decision by Lewis, get him cleanly later, bit of patience works wonders.

Swango1980

Visit site
Footage out from the onboards …
Looks like some have let their emotions get the better of them.
Max stopped Lewis chopping across him at entry and it was too quick to take a clean line through the corner .. Lewis was wise to not engage and knew the corner would be given to Max had a contact taken place and both cars being retired.
Best decision by Lewis, get him cleanly later, bit of patience works wonders.
Lewis was ahead of Max. There used to be a rule where you had to give you opponent a cars width, but I guess that doesn't apply anymore, at least to Max. Not only did Max not give Hamilton any room, he basically committed himself to ramming him off the track if Lewis did not go off the track himself. Max didn't even give himself room. He was able to perfectly negotiate that corner every lap up to that point. A point that was already made, had they been at Monaco I'm sure he'd have found a way to keep himself on the track. However, on this occasion he drove 10 yards off the track. So, either he intentionally did this, or he is simply an awful driver when it comes to being put under pressure. When under pressure, he can no longer control himself and stay on the track.

Basically, he knew Hamilton was quicker than him and was likely to pass him at some point. If he took them both out of the race, it would be to his advantage. If he took Lewis out of the race only, even better. The only risk would be he took himself out of the race and Lewis managed to keep going, but I guess he perceived that to be a small enough risk. I agree though, excellent driving by Lewis. He knows what Max is all about, and he was not pig headed enough to continue to try and take the corner. Max seems to be a protected species in F1, and I honestly would not be surprised if he causes a huge accident at some point. He, and Red Bull, was happy enough to blame Lewis at Silverstone. However, on that occasion Hamilton got up the inside and the argument against Hamilton was that his turning angle was slightly off from the apex of the corner. However, Max still turned straight in on Hamilton, as if he'd just disappear from being alongside him. Had he any intelligence, he'd have given Hamilton more space. This weekend, Max was no-where near the apex, he didn't even try to turn the corner. Had Hamilton had the same lack of intelligence as Max, he'd have turned in and his car could have been flipped, given he had been so far ahead of Max at the point of him turning.