F1 2021

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I can imagine year 2 of the new regs having decent racing.

Year 1 is all about who finds the best loophole (think Merc separating the turbo components, or Brawn's double diffuser, Red Bull charging the diffuser with exhaust gases). There will be something, one little thing that they do that provides a disproportionate advantage. And if that one thing is a fundamental design point that drives chassis design then one team could really dominate again and the others won't be competitive until at least year 2.

Year 2 everyone catches on and more teams are competitive.

Year 3 onwards, every team stretches every loophole as far as possible so that airflow is maximised for their car, and the air behind dirtied as much as possible for the car following again.

Of course if the Year 1 best loophole is found by the biggest budget teams straight off the bat then the other teams are stuffed for years. Again.

Swango1980

Visit site
The FIA technical penalties do a great job of destroying the spectacle for fans. Mind you, awesome job by Hamiliton today, so might ironically work out to be a very exciting race tomorrow.

I think I despise Red Bull a little bit more after every race. They just seem like the "tell tale" that dobs their rivals in at every opportunity, hoping that every now and again it'll result in a penalty.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The FIA technical penalties do a great job of destroying the spectacle for fans. Mind you, awesome job by Hamiliton today, so might ironically work out to be a very exciting race tomorrow.

I think I despise Red Bull a little bit more after every race. They just seem like the "tell tale" that dobs their rivals in at every opportunity, hoping that every now and again it'll result in a penalty.
It might well be some sort of revenge for them having to stop use their "flexing" rear wing, that they got no penalty for.

D

Deleted member 1147

I liked Hamilton’s engineer, when Lewis was getting out of the car, “don’t touch anyone else’s car”
Nice bit of piss taking ?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Lot's of people writing Hamilton's chances of an eight WC off. It only needs a DNF from Verstappen today, and a Hamilton win and it's game on again with Hamilton taking a small lead in the Championship.
Strange things happen in F1 from time to time.
This is certainly one of the most interesting battles for a good few years.
It will be interesting to watch Hamilton this evening, I expect he'll be up to around 5th or 6th by the end of the first lap, we know that he's usually quick away from the lights, and his car seems to be "on song".
If Merc get the strategy right, I can certainly see him pulling off a win.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lot's of people writing Hamilton's chances of an eight WC off. It only needs a DNF from Verstappen today, and a Hamilton win and it's game on again with Hamilton taking a small lead in the Championship.
Strange things happen in F1 from time to time.
This is certainly one of the most interesting battles for a good few years.
It will be interesting to watch Hamilton this evening, I expect he'll be up to around 5th or 6th by the end of the first lap, we know that he's usually quick away from the lights, and his car seems to be "on song".
If Merc get the strategy right, I can certainly see him pulling off a win.
100%. Also by changing Lewis power unit they've given RB a problem, espeially if Lewis scores decent points today. Do they put a new one in for Max and take the penalty or or stick with the existing, tired one until the end of the season and hope it doesn't blow?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
100%. Also by changing Lewis power unit they've given RB a problem, espeially if Lewis scores decent points today. Do they put a new one in for Max and take the penalty or or stick with the existing, tired one until the end of the season and hope it doesn't blow?
I wouldn't mind betting it goes pop today... he's been pushing it a bit hard recently.
He'll have a hard job getting past Bottas, because I reckon Bottas got a severe reprimand behind closed doors last week after his lackluster defence against Verstappen last time out.
As I said before, strange things happen every now and then.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wouldn't mind betting it goes pop today... he's been pushing it a bit hard recently.
He'll have a hard job getting past Bottas, because I reckon Bottas got a severe reprimand behind closed doors last week after his lackluster defence against Verstappen last time out.
As I said before, strange things happen every now and then.
Be a shame for JV to shoot up the inside of Bottas and get taken out....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site

He only changed his total engine for Russia, that was a few races ago so nothing tired about it, Jesus last week everyone was raging about how fast the car was. Do people not actually know the facts and just spout rubbish without thought...

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
The FIA technical penalties do a great job of destroying the spectacle for fans.
So he'll start 9th today, have to come through the field, with a car that is much faster anyway so it's not really that hard, but you think that makes the race less of a spectacle? There's very few Grand Prix nowadays actually worth watching at all, this however will be one of them

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't be ridiculous. This wasn't a judgement call, it was a measurement, he was either in our outwith the rules, he was measured to be outwith
Actually, it was free play in the pivot mechanism of the DRS wing which the FIA agreed it was. Not design issues or deliberate cheating (Red Bull, Ferrari come to mind). Other teams have been allowed to make changes in parc ferme when there has been damage issues, the Red Bull rear wing having cracks in the week before being the most recent before.
Say what you will about Hamilton, but I dont for one second think Toto Wolf is going to knowingly cheat (and no do I think Hamilton would either).