F1 2021

Thread starter #202

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Great race yesterday, felt sorry for Lando but he should have listened to his team.
Yep, total lack of experience. That said maybe the pit wall should have been a bit more insistent, particularly when it became obvious Merc weren't just throwing a pitlane dummy

Miller

Great for Russell to out qualify Lewis again, I really do hope that's a sign of things to come.

And I really hope that Russell is allowed to race Lewis next year and not just be another Bottas.

BiMGuy

Great for Russell to out qualify Lewis again, I really do hope that's a sign of things to come.

And I really hope that Russell is allowed to race Lewis next year and not just be another Bottas.
Bottas is allowed to race. He's just not good enough to keep up.

Once he is out of the championship running, Mercedes use him to support Lewis. Again, something he's not very good at.

Last edited:

Miller

There's been a few times when Mr Wolff has told Bottas to support Lewis.

Back in 2018, Bottas was told to let Lewis pass. The inference is that Mercedes have been prioritising Lewis and his aim to win multiple championships.

Bottas would accept team orders to support Hamilton’s title bid - On Digital Shop

Bottas most recently followed team orders in this year’s British Grand Prix, when Hamilton was recovering from his time penalty, allowing the seven-time world champion through en route to a late victory over Charles Leclerc.
Reflecting on the 2018 race in Russia, Bottas said that it was a different situation and that while it was difficult to take at the time, he has since moved on and grown from the call.
“That’s a few years ago, but at least now I can be fine with things,” Bottas said.
“At that point, yes, it was painful. And for me, it was hard to accept.
“But we’ve obviously moved on since, and also I’ve grown a lot since. Things are a bit different now.”
It's clear that Bottas does have pace and experience - the Netflix documentary shows that he actually aims to qualify in third so that he has the slipstream into the first corner. Although saying that, he does balls things up more often than not and loses positions at the first corner too.

Strategy decisions from Mercedes do seem to benefit Lewis more than Bottas though. I've seen plenty of times where Lewis benefits from a pit stop and Bottas just goes backwards.

cliveb

Head Pro
Bottas showed his true colours yesterday, by immediately jumping out of Verstappen's way when the one job he had to do was hold Max up for as long as possible.
He should be shown the door. Now.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
There's been a few times when Mr Wolff has told Bottas to support Lewis.

Back in 2018, Bottas was told to let Lewis pass. The inference is that Mercedes have been prioritising Lewis and his aim to win multiple championships.

Bottas would accept team orders to support Hamilton’s title bid - On Digital Shop

It's clear that Bottas does have pace and experience - the Netflix documentary shows that he actually aims to qualify in third so that he has the slipstream into the first corner. Although saying that, he does balls things up more often than not and loses positions at the first corner too.

Strategy decisions from Mercedes do seem to benefit Lewis more than Bottas though. I've seen plenty of times where Lewis benefits from a pit stop and Bottas just goes backwards.
That's a pretty one sided view of a few different events.

First choice of strategy is given to the driver in the lead, this has always been the case. For example, neither driver would be allowed to undercut their teammate via a pitstop.

In 2018, Bottas was miles off in the drivers championship, Lewis was at the top, why on earth wouldn't the team ask them to swap positions? It would be daft not to. If they were both at the top competing for the title, then Lewis would have been told to hold position to bring home the 1, 2.

Bottas does not have the pace, that is clear. From time to time he qualifies well and he wins the odd race, but over the course of a season, he's not quick enough. That's not down to Merc prioritising Hamilton, it's down to the relative abilities of the two drivers.