F1 2021

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Anyone who wants to criticise Lewis’s choice of clothing needs to have a look at what Jackie Stewart was wearing whilst handing Bottas a trophy just now.

D

Deleted member 15344

Always satisfying to see Hamilton get beat - even better when it’s by the local team ?

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I thought Bottas handed the race to Verstappen by moving over to the right on the run to the first corner. If he'd stayed over to the left, with 1/2 a car's width on his outside, and been alongside Hamilton there would have been nowhere for Verstappen to go and he would have had to brake earlier to avoid hitting the back of Bottas.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I thought Bottas handed the race to Verstappen by moving over to the right on the run to the first corner. If he'd stayed over to the left, with 1/2 a car's width on his outside, and been alongside Hamilton there would have been nowhere for Verstappen to go and he would have had to brake earlier to avoid hitting the back of Bottas.
Possibly but he had so much speed he would have been in front within a few laps anyway. Look like Mercs decision to not spend on developing this years car any further is going to bite them on the arse.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

Tend to agree with this. You could have got a bus down the left hand side of Bottas. But even if he had kept Verstappen behind, it wouldn't have been long before he had swept past Hamilton. The Mercs were well down on performance yesterday.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tend to agree with this. You could have got a bus down the left hand side of Bottas. But even if he had kept Verstappen behind, it wouldn't have been long before he had swept past Hamilton. The Mercs were well down on performance yesterday.

I thought the relative performance of the cars was consistent with more or less every other race this season really.

Swango1980

Visit site
Can't wait until the days return in which a faster cars do not suddenly slow down when they get in the turbulent air in front. There is always a level of excitement when one car is catching another, although that is often dampened by the fact that you sort of know there is a good chance that once it gets within a second or 2, it will be impossible to overtake unless there is a huge speed differential.

Also, I miss the days of refueling, simply because teams could be on extremely different strategies and it added another element to the race.

After the first lap, you can virtually predict with about 90-95% confidence what is going to happen for the rest of the race. Cars do not even seem to break down anymore. That is a good thing, although sometimes it is the only hope one has in having an exciting twist to the race,

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can't wait until the days return in which a faster cars do not suddenly slow down when they get in the turbulent air in front. There is always a level of excitement when one car is catching another, although that is often dampened by the fact that you sort of know there is a good chance that once it gets within a second or 2, it will be impossible to overtake unless there is a huge speed differential.

Also, I miss the days of refueling, simply because teams could be on extremely different strategies and it added another element to the race.

After the first lap, you can virtually predict with about 90-95% confidence what is going to happen for the rest of the race. Cars do not even seem to break down anymore. That is a good thing, although sometimes it is the only hope one has in having an exciting twist to the race,

Being able to follow and overtake would be a game changer.

Even with DRS, don't they need to be typically lapping at 1.3 seconds per lap faster to actually get a move done? I guess it's a bit track dependent, think that stat was from the US. But even so, it doesn't make for great racing.

Swango1980

Visit site
Being able to follow and overtake would be a game changer.

Even with DRS, don't they need to be typically lapping at 1.3 seconds per lap faster to actually get a move done? I guess it's a bit track dependent, think that stat was from the US. But even so, it doesn't make for great racing.
Yeah, depends on the track. Some tracks the use of DRS makes over-taking like taking candy from a baby. Other tracks, it makes little difference.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
It looked to me as if Bottas was trying to stop Hamilton getting past. The jink to the right makes no sense otherwise. The Mercs should have worked together as a roadblock round the first few corners, then Bottas should have let Hamilton go and made sure Verstappen was behind him and done his best to keep things that way for as long as he could to give Lewis the biggest possible gap over Max once the inevitable happened.

But I've had the impression pretty much all year (and in previous years) that Bottas isn't interested in helping Hamilton, he races for himself.

Swango1980

Visit site
It looked to me as if Bottas was trying to stop Hamilton getting past. The jink to the right makes no sense otherwise. The Mercs should have worked together as a roadblock round the first few corners, then Bottas should have let Hamilton go and made sure Verstappen was behind him and done his best to keep things that way for as long as he could to give Lewis the biggest possible gap over Max once the inevitable happened.

But I've had the impression pretty much all year (and in previous years) that Bottas isn't interested in helping Hamilton, he races for himself.
Unless Bottas moved to the right, so that Hamilton could get in his slip stream rather than Verstappen. However, it didn't work as Hamilton had already got up alongside him.

Just an alternative theory, but like you, I suspect Bottas has no interest in helping Hamilton.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think Bottas has always tried to give the impression of Hamiltons equal akin to Rosberg for that 1 season, but alas he is nowhere close and is now just being awkward.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think Bottas has always tried to give the impression of Hamiltons equal akin to Rosberg for that 1 season, but alas he is nowhere close and is now just being awkward.

He's just not at that elite level, when all is said and done

It isn't JUST the car, as so many say, there are only a handful of drivers that are fast enough to win the title even if they have the best machine. If Hamilton in this years Merc was up against Vettel and Perez at Red Bull, there's only one winner.

Bottas is very good, he's just not quite good enough.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site