F1 2021

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So, the officials say lapped cars will NOT be let through before restart. I could understand that, as there didn't seem to be time to do so. So it was either that, or not restart race.

Then Red Bull whinge yet again, and FIA change their mind. However, they ONLY let the lapped cars between Lewis and Max go. Not any behind Max. How does that work?

It seems clear the FIA manufactured it simply to get Max directly behind Lewis, and Lewis was a sitting duck due to the tyres.

A truly horrific end to the season. Fair play to Lewis and his reaction, but the officials in F1 have been an absolute disaster.

Exactly how I see it

Swango1980

Visit site
So the written rule states 'all lapped cars will be required to pass the safety car'. So the FIA have broken their own rules. Joke.
The other sick thing with that decision is that the officials were happy to place Max directly behind Lewis. However, they didn't allow Sainz to get directly behind Max. I think there were 2 lapped cars between 2nd and 3rd. So, Max didn't have to worry about what was going on behind him, but Lewis wasn't afforded that luxury.

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
Wow, what an end. Masi should go because he’s now a distraction and part of the show, and he absolute should not be. But none of the teams have any trust in him.
I think this will be the end of it, it hasn’t cost any money, just leaves a bitter taste.
Red bull are very easy to dislike and it’s ultimately been them complaining that engineered the situation.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So Mercedes have lodged 2 protests. From what they've just said on tv the decision breaks 2 regulations. I can't see them changing the result but will be interesting to see if Masi will still ve in a job next season

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
So Mercedes have lodged 2 protests. From what they've just said on tv the decision breaks 2 regulations. I can't see them changing the result but will be interesting to see if Masi will still ve in a job next season
I think this will be the compromise. MV keeps drivers, Mercedes get constructors anyway, and Masi goes.
It was an appalling application of the rules, although Mercedes’ aren’t blameless. Surely they should have pitted Lewis then had the tyre?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Would you all have been satisfied with it finishing under a safety car?
That last lap was exciting.. and shows tyres are so important ????

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It was an appalling application of the rules, although Mercedes’ aren’t blameless. Surely they should have pitted Lewis then had the tyre?

But then Verstappen could've stayed out and taken the lead. The race could then have finished under the safety car and Hamilton wouldn't have had any chance to overtake.

Swango1980

Visit site
If it is about making it exciting, we can apply the same logic in golf. If Dechambeau has a 10 shot lead going down the last, reduce it to one shot and take away any club he has longer than a 7 iron.

But yes, tyres are hugely important

Swango1980

Visit site
I think this will be the compromise. MV keeps drivers, Mercedes get constructors anyway, and Masi goes.
No chance they could have pitted Lewis. That would have put him behind Max (as Max would not have pitted), and there was a pretty high chance race would not have been restarted.

Max simply had to do the opposite of Lewis, there was no risk on his part. Only way they could restart race was by not applying their own regulations, and only allowing lapped cars between the top 2 through.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Yes. Whilst a slightly dull finish to the race. It was pretty much a dull finish anyway.
Redbull and Max fans didn’t seem to be too fussed about the race at Spa finishing behind a safety car.