F1 2021

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Aren't all circuits in these types of places usually uninspiring? What are your favourite circuits, mine are:

• Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, Canada
  • Silverstone
  • Spa
  • Monza
  • Monaco (well, the race is often a bit rubbish, but I still get excited in the build up at least)

Errr, my fav tracks are very similar to yours!

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Very interesting press conference now with Toto and Christian. It's quite clear Christian thinks Mercedes are doing something potentially illegal with their engine and wing.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I still dont think max did want to cause a collision, it's just how he drives, i.e. relentlessly aggressive, taking a risky approach and assuming the other driver involved will want to avoid a collision and that will be to his advantage. Kind of like the prisoner's dilemma! It benefits him as more often than not, the other person backs out, but there is the potential for max to lose out big time.
It has already happened - at Silverstone. Irrespective of the penalty given to Lewis, the Silverstone incident was fundamentally a case of Max not giving an inch and Lewis choosing not to be intimidated. The result was that Max lost out big time.

What bothers me most is that Max, having already suffered as a result of his uncompromising style, hasn't learned and continues to behave exactly the same way. I think that the reason he failed to learn from Silverstone is because Horner and Marko decided to lay into Lewis and so Max never understood that his aggression was part of the problem. I really think that Horner and Marko are a bad influence on Max's ability to mature as a driver.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
, Max even accused Hamilton of no class when he celebrates his win while Max was in hospital (despite Hamilton being completely oblivious to this fact straight after the win). .

Stange how upset he was about that seeing as he didn't give two hoots about celebrating a podium not long after Romain Grosjean was very nearly burned to death. Classlwss arrogant little (something I'll get told off for typing)

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Very interesting press conference now with Toto and Christian. It's quite clear Christian thinks Mercedes are doing something potentially illegal with their engine and wing.

That's the Red Bull style! Whether Merc are or they aren't, Red Bull want maximum scrutiny on Merc.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Stewards have denied Mercedes request to review decision. Not really surprised as it would have cast a big shadow over this weekend. Max got away with it, so time to move on.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It has already happened - at Silverstone. Irrespective of the penalty given to Lewis, the Silverstone incident was fundamentally a case of Max not giving an inch and Lewis choosing not to be intimidated. The result was that Max lost out big time.

What bothers me most is that Max, having already suffered as a result of his uncompromising style, hasn't learned and continues to behave exactly the same way. I think that the reason he failed to learn from Silverstone is because Horner and Marko decided to lay into Lewis and so Max never understood that his aggression was part of the problem. I really think that Horner and Marko are a bad influence on Max's ability to mature as a driver.

He has, but I reckon he's probably gained more over his career, even if not this season.

Monza, for example, he effectively gained points. Was it last season where he took a v aggressive approach to passing LeClerc? Yes, absolutely he lost out big time at Silverstone, but there have been a lot of gains too.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Stewards have denied Mercedes request to review decision. Not really surprised as it would have cast a big shadow over this weekend. Max got away with it, so time to move on.

I think that was inevitable - the question was whether there was any material new evidence, and it's hard to imagine what that would have been? The stewards got it wrong at the weekend, but there's no route to overrule them without new info. As you say, on we go.

Will be interesting to see if it impacts how drivers approach similar situations with cars trying to pass on the outside. I suspect it won't.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Or initial judgement of the incident was correct and we have debated it because we have nothing else to argue about that is politically correct

Swango1980

Visit site
Stange how upset he was about that seeing as he didn't give two hoots about celebrating a podium not long after Romain Grosjean was very nearly burned to death. Classlwss arrogant little (something I'll get told off for typing)
I wish a journalist had made that point when he was was blaming Lewis for a lack of class. I think you need to get in there, maybe replace Ted Kravitz

Swango1980

Visit site
Or, perish the thought, they got it right first time.
We'll see. The following statments and thoughts do not seem healthy for F1 in the future. Or maybe they do?

"It is more about the principle and the philosophy," Wolff said. "If it stays that way, it means overtaking from the outside is pretty much not possible any more because the inside controls the corner completely. You can see some of the drivers have expressed the same opinion.

"It is really important to understand what's on and what's not on because we don't want this championship to be decided by a controversial situation that ends up in the stewards' room. That's why now is the time to clarify the rules."

On Thursday, Ferrari's Charles Leclerc made the same point, saying: "If this is allowed then overtaking on the outside is going to be very difficult."

So, there was clearly a feeling amongst those directly involved in F1 that this was completely unacceptable before the incident. The decision, and the following discussion, have effectively clarified that no, it is OK, don't worry about it. The stewards will not have a leg to stand on the next time a driver charges up the inside and takes another driver out. How could they? They can only conclude that is is good hard racing.