Extras you would like in your car

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve never used the can, doesn’t it ruin the tyre every time? So even for a minor puncture it’s a new tyre

I've been told that they can repair them it's just the place has to scrap the foam off to fix it and they can't be bothered to do it most of time.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’ve never used the can, doesn’t it ruin the tyre every time? So even for a minor puncture it’s a new tyre
If it is a minor puncture then you should be able to blow the tyre up and make it to a tyre place I'd have thought. If it is severe then the chances are the tyre is goosed anyway so gunk usage doesn't really matter.

I find this is a personal one. I'm with @pauljames87 in that I see it as a numbers game. I've never had an absolute and immediate write off so I'd rather have boot space than a full sized spare. 35yrs of driving, I've been lucky. I'm content with the gunk option, even though I've never actually used it. Equally, I know people who go into a cold sweat at the thought of a car without a tyre in the boot. Whichever you feel comfortable with 🤷‍♀️

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If it is a minor puncture then you should be able to blow the tyre up and make it to a tyre place I'd have thought. If it is severe then the chances are the tyre is goosed anyway so gunk usage doesn't really matter.

I find this is a personal one. I'm with @pauljames87 in that I see it as a numbers game. I've never had an absolute and immediate write off so I'd rather have boot space than a full sized spare. 35yrs of driving, I've been lucky. I'm content with the gunk option, even though I've never actually used it. Equally, I know people who go into a cold sweat at the thought of a car without a tyre in the boot. Whichever you feel comfortable with 🤷‍♀️

Ironically I have once had a puncture that needed a full size spare. However it was snowing so bad I couldn't get the wheel off or replaced , I called the AA and they did it for me with their gun thing

If they hadn't they would have toed me anyways so it would have been basically same time whilst I got a new tyre etc

That was 2011 I believe

Since then touch wood I've had one flat which I pumped up, drove to the tyre shop and got a new tyre

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've been told that they can repair them it's just the place has to scrap the foam off to fix it and they can't be bothered to do it most of time.
There two types of mixture
One water based and the other latex based

If you use the latex based one it means a new tyre regardless as the latex cannot be scraped off.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
if you use latex based yes if you use water based no.

I dumped out my latex cans when I found out.

However I do have a spacesaver wheel in the car and a full sized wheel at home.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ironically I have once had a puncture that needed a full size spare. However it was snowing so bad I couldn't get the wheel off or replaced , I called the AA and they did it for me with their gun thing

If they hadn't they would have toed me anyways so it would have been basically same time whilst I got a new tyre etc
The chances of me being able to manually get the nuts off, tyre off etc are so remote that I simply wouldn't even try. I'd either blow the tyre up or ring the breakdown people. It's why you have cover :D

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The chances of me being able to manually get the nuts off, tyre off etc are so remote that I simply wouldn't even try. I'd either blow the tyre up or ring the breakdown people. It's why you have cover :D

My travel ATM anyways is such that if it happened the chances of it being a long trip are very slim

If I'm on way to or from work hello aa toe me home

If I'm going golf hello aa toe me home

If I was in town with the kids I'd get them home on a bus or something then go back for the car when I got time

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
When I was an ADI I had to have a full size spare and it had to be the same as the wheels on the car or the examiner wouldn't let the test go ahead..couldn't have a spacesaver either
If I had a puncture in the hour before a test it would either be a case of cancel it and lose the fee or get to a tyre shop and hope they could change it immediately
That was unlikely to happen so I always specified a full size alloy that matched.
The kids would often nudge kerbs and I used to get through 3 or 4 near side fronts in the 2 years I'd keep the car.
Occasionally the kerbs would be a rustic design with nice looking bulges and shapes not smooth like normal...Nice looking but lethal to a tyre
Had a 3 inch cut in one tyre after a "nudge"..
I hope this is true....apparently the original Audi TT came with a spacesaver.......
Sadly, when you needed to use it, the original wheel and tyre wouldn't fit where the spacesaver lived..
It was also too big to go in the boot....
So, if you had a passenger, you either had to leave the passenger at the side of the road and put the wheel on the passenger seat.....
Or vice versa.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's reassuring to know that there's a full size spare wheel in a specifically designed storage area if you regularly make long journeys. I understand why they're less common on modern cars but space-savers, runflats and temporary repair foam have screwed enough late-night or Sunday journeys home for me to know my next car will have a full sized spare.
Yes me to.
I insisted when buying my car I wanted a proper spare wheel and tools or the deal was dead.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
No it was "standard" on the car just not "activated" so went to my local seat dealer and paid £200 for them to just enable it

I see. I can buy a unit which is plug and play, no coding required, but it looks a bit tricky getting the RNS unit out, so I need to factor that into the cost.

It’s certainly something I might look at as it’s a real irritation that my car doesn’t have it.