Experimenting with driver settings

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
My bad tee shot recently has been a low pully hook!

Messing around the range this morning I moved the weight on my Ping 425 from the draw to the neutral setting.

I was then hitting gentle fade..although I'm wondering if my corrections were at the root of it. When I wanted a bad low hook, I could hit one.;)

Do you think the setting makes that much difference, or do they just lessen the impact of a bad shot

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
With the weighting I’m convinced it helps, but with with hosel I’m not so sure.

While I get the principle behind it, I always set mine to neutral as it gives me an idea of what’s going on with the swing. With a basic understanding of ball flight laws and swing mechanics I can normally still get it around. I don’t see the point in setting a couple of clubs up to mask a fault when that fault will inevitably be throughout the bag.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Absolutely nothing to do with the movement of the weight. A bad shot will still be a bad shot, and not weight tweaking will save it. At best, moving the weight will have a small influence on the curve of a good shot that is hit slightly off sweetspot.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I use the SFT which doesn't have adjustable weight of course, it's just permanently set with a draw bias. When I did the fitting two years ago it very clearly faded less than other drivers. It doesn't cure or fix, but it will turn a slice into a fade, and thus more workable on the course.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
It might lessen the damage but I’d recommend the towel under the armpit at your next range session. Without seeing a vid of your swing I’ll have a wild guess that you’re casting out a little.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would say very little,however it must do something or else every you-tuber would have called it out.
My driver when I first got it 4 months or so ago was a beautiful draw,however get a bit quick and it becomes a low hook.
It was quite destructive.
Now I hit a lovely 5 yard fade.
I have not touched the settings I’ve just changed my feet settings and gone from a Orange tee to a Pink Castle.
I tried a White Castle tee also,I was just looking where the ball was striking the club and the Pink was more central.

AliMc

Visit site
I've got a titleist TSi3, it's 9 degrees, i started off with it on the neutral setting and as I hit it very low, but mostly a reasonably long way, I adjusted it up to the max (without getting it out the back of the car and looking i think it was to 10.5 degrees), it made no noticible difference for me so it's back to standard, but I love it !

SyR

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I use the Mizuno JPX 900. I have the weights in the draw and fade slots as find that helps the most with off-centred shots.
I find the loft and lie settings aren't as important as long as I set up correctly at address.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I never mess around with mine as I prefer a neutral setting so I can fade/draw or hit straight. (not always quite to order though). I worked out what loft I wanted before buying the club based upon an older model and preferred to change height by changing the shaft.

My mate messes around with his settings quite a bit including occasional shaft changes and it works for him.

Kennysarmy

Visit site

Messing around the range this morning I moved the weight on my Ping 425 from the draw to the neutral setting.

I was then hitting gentle fade..although I'm wondering if my corrections were at the root of it. When I wanted a bad low hook, I could hit one.;)

Do you think the setting makes that much difference, or do they just lessen the impact of a bad shot

I'd say the better the player the more they make a difference :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As a real tinkerer it has been a real struggle to not keep playing with the settings and weight bias. I am not convinced how much difference they make and that at times they can mask swing faults that a quick swing check could rectify longer term

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

I have the same shape as you, and I set my driver up with fade bias. It does help a bit but if I put the full snapper on it, nothing is going to save it.