"Excessive" glove wear???!?......

The People's Republic of Leith, Edinburgh
Visit site
hey guys....

I ask the question only as a result of just having read a magazine article on improving your grip on the club

as a bit of background I have recommenced my love affair with the sport after taking a "break" of 15 years while playing other sports

I started out at the start of November on a mission to re-build my swing in an effort to build a repetitive. maintainable action prior to the start of the season - my local teaching pro has taken advantage of this, (not to mention my bank balance), and I have to admit being delighted with the results so far - I now hit a nice soft draw (with the odd absolute horror hook thrown in to keep me "honest") far longer & tighter than I could have imagined.... however I couldn't help noticing that the heel of my glove is pretty darn worn... I have read several articles that suggest that this is problematic, but the Pro has always commended me on my grip (it's about the only thing that HASN'T changed!) and I can always keep a tee firmly wedged in there like many of the printed drills suggest

So - my question is..... what exactly is "normal" wear for a glove - I've had this one since mid Nov and been to the range 4 times per week at 100 balls each - so that's........ 4,500 balls - actually, seeing it written down, I may have answered my own question- - how much more do I think I can squeeze out of one £10 purchase, buy a ferkin new one!!!

K

ps - on another note, now that the premafrost has thawed I'll be playing my first round on a real, outdoor, course next weekend as I start my "auditions" for my new home course - can't wait, but ever so slightly brikkin' it!!

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hmm almost 2am and no one is here to help this guy out!

Well I am on!

I think gloves should be changed sooner rather than later. I try and carry at least two in case one goes mid round! The one time it happened last year my spare was in the car!

I find the velcro can wear out too and not give a good fit.

The best way to buy them is in bulk, you get a discount if you do it online and you can buy a summers worth at once.

Gloves, like tees and balls are part of golfs consumables.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
A poor grip will wear the glove quicker than a good one. Holding the club too high up the grip causes the glove to wear on the thumb pad.
Some get through a glove every other week, some use 1 per year. I guess 2-3 months per glove is probably anout right.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I used to wear through gloves really quickly. It would go on the fleshy part opposite my thumb.

As Imurg said, I was holding too high up the grip and the top edge of the grip was wearing the hole through the glove.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
[b}A poor grip will wear the glove quicker than a good one. Holding the club too high up the grip causes the glove to wear on the thumb pad.[/b}
Some get through a glove every other week, some use 1 per year. I guess 2-3 months per glove is probably anout right.

explained perfectly why i was flying through gloves, i would do one every 4 rounds with 4 range sessions, so averagely 800 balls.

A) my grip was too strong and i would always wear the thumb pad.
B) because of my grip and the angles in which the gloves were being stretched i would always wear out the velcro so the glove went sloppy.

my grip issues are fixed and now im getting alot longer out of my gloves, during the summer then tend to wear quicker through sweat.

Personally im happy to go through one a month, the glove is your point of contact between the hand and grip. a worn grip or glove is only ever going to product inconsistent results, for the cost of a glove is it worth it.

You wouldnt drive a car with ball tyres offering no grip, so why try and play golf with no grip on the club.
:D

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I always wear a glove, not just for grip but when I go for my customary "jimmy" mid round, it feels like it's being held for me by a lady! :eek:

Chris

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I tend to get wear in the fleshy part of the palm and like the OP have never had a problem when pros check my grip or keeping a tee in there during a swing. I put it down to friction particularly hitting a lot of range balls. I tend to have some gloves I only use for playing and they have hardly any wear