Everything Come To Those Who Wait....

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Great story.

I was round at my mums last night. now she's tennis mad and has been a member of the local tennis club for about 40 odd years and regular player in their teams. Well last season the captain of the third team asked her to drop down to the fourth team to give a younger (but not better) player a chance. My mum was a little taken aback (to say the least) but gracefully (at the club) accepted it,but didn't take up playing for the fourth team, well she was "too old for the third team, so must be too old for the fourth. Boy did we get to know about it! Last week whilst playing in a bit of a knock with the ladies third team captain, whom my mum was thrashing, the lady asked my mum to play for the third team this year!!!! Kaboooooooooooom!!!! Did she give the lady in question a rocket! "If I was too old last year, then I must be too old this year!". And that was that. My mum, although now missing out on another year of team tennis, has a lovely warm glow.

PS My mum is 78

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Comes across as just a stubborn old woman.

Maybe rephrase it as I am sure that is not the case in reality.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Good on her for still being able to knock a ball around at 78 (hope I can still do that on the course when/if I reach that)

Victories against the 'establishment' are rare enough so providing she's happy to forego team tennis why shouldn't she take a certain satisfaction of a nice bit of karma

Last edited:

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
It does sound like she's cutting off her nose to spite her face......but it's just the sort of thing i'd do. Good on her, and it's great she can still play to a competitive level at her age.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I also agree it's cutting her nose off to spite her face. I would also question what gives her more pleasure, the tennis or the fact she has one up on the establishment?

I hope im still fit and alive at 78 all the same.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Nothing "went around". Let's be fair here, your mother is old and giving a younger player a chance to thrive might have been in the best long term interests of the team. She was asked (not told?) to drop down and she agreed so how can she possibly complain about that?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
There's a phrase "if you're good enough, you're old enough"
Shouldn't it also read "if you're good enough you're young enough"..?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
There's a phrase "if you're good enough, you're old enough"
Shouldn't it also read "if you're good enough you're young enough"..?

Exactly!. She didn't drop down to the fourth team as she though being told that she was being dropped to let a younger player move up meant she was too old for third then ero too old for fourth. It just shows how we British still see our sports. "Awww go on let them have a game it's a shame" etc etc. You get your chance when you are good enough.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I also think that if asked again she will cave and play. The urge will just be too strong.

PS I would just like to go on public record that I can now beat her!!!!!

Farmergeddon

Assistant Pro
Visit site
CF. Anyone who has played sport any any level, gets to the point where " the youngsters need to be brought on and its you who has to fall on his sword.". "its for the good of the clubs future" I'll bet its the same in golf clubs but it was in football where I experienced it and it hastened my departure into golf.. But then I had somewhere to go to and maybe your mum is coming to the end of her tennis career as far as team play is concerned, does she play golf??