Eureka moment at the range.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So after shanking 3 balls over the weekend, I went to the range to work on it.
Problem all stems from the takeaway, I've been too flat caused by fanning the club.
I had the correct feeling late on Saturday when I rehearsed with driver.
The key is to keep the club head outside of my hands on the way back, I shall try to explain.
As I take the club back with the turn of my shoulders/sternum as this moves the club up and away in front of me (before it reaches parallel to the ground) I feel like the club lifts up and away from me further by pointing the handle down and towards me. This causes the head to stay out in front and more on a circular plane.
It's difficult to explain, but it's like some of the pros do before they swing ie Michelle Wie, Billy Horschel.
The visualisation is like a bicycle wheel, the butt end is like the spoke attached to the centre and the club head is like the end of the spoke attached to the outer wheel.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Remember my first eureka moment when I started getting my wrists involved. It last a good week. I then started getting my wrists to involved and started pulling drives left. This eureka moment was highlighted when I pulled one left at Bamburgh castle, 3rd hole I think and it went like an Exocet into the green keepers sheds. The noise was deafening. When we realised I had not killed anyone, my PPs wet themselves laughing.

I don't like eureka moments now.

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
Ah yes. The old "I think i've cracked it" moment. Had a few of those over the years!

Best analogy i've seen for the correct takeaway / on plain is imagine standing upright with the club held out in front of you and a hulahoop around your waist. As you turn (start the backswing) the shoulders, arms, hands and clubhead remain on the same path throughout. Nothing changes.

And nor should it when you bend your waist and put the club on the ground. Imagine that Hula hoop is still there and the shoulders, arms, hands and clubhead continue to turn and rotate along the line of that hulahoop.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've had that many eureka moments I've lost count, probably some are repeats. I remember the eureka moment I had a basket of 50 balls all with a perfect draw, thought, get in I've cracked it. Went back to the range the next day, slice after slice, could I hell repeat what I'd done, never been able to draw the ball.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've had that many eureka moments I've lost count, probably some are repeats. I remember the eureka moment I had a basket of 50 balls all with a perfect draw, thought, get in I've cracked it. Went back to the range the next day, slice after slice, could I hell repeat what I'd done, never been able to draw the ball.
Sounds familiar. "Lads I've finally sorted my driving out on the range last night.. watch this" *first tee* "..**** me where's that gone!?"

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So after shanking 3 balls over the weekend, I went to the range to work on it.
Problem all stems from the takeaway, I've been too flat caused by fanning the club.
I had the correct feeling late on Saturday when I rehearsed with driver.
The key is to keep the club head outside of my hands on the way back, I shall try to explain.
As I take the club back with the turn of my shoulders/sternum as this moves the club up and away in front of me (before it reaches parallel to the ground) I feel like the club lifts up and away from me further by pointing the handle down and towards me. This causes the head to stay out in front and more on a circular plane.
It's difficult to explain, but it's like some of the pros do before they swing ie Michelle Wie, Billy Horschel.
The visualisation is like a bicycle wheel, the butt end is like the spoke attached to the centre and the club head is like the end of the spoke attached to the outer wheel.

I do that in my takeaway too. Find it has been working well.

Keep clubhead like it feels outside and up and turn shoulders level are my two thoughts.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wise man once said the more you know about your swing the less eureka moments you will have. I had my last one on the 15th, oh wait just had another one. :(

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I went to the range today and hit quite a few buckets of balls with the 7 iron and started to hit pretty ok but you know the feeling you're hitting good but that you're not quite flushing as they could/should be. I then increased the spine angle about 2 inches and POW! as good a shot as i can hit and several more like it to follow

I just hope I remember the swing tomorrow! 🙄

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Eureaka moment. That moment when mind, body and ball collide in perfect harmony and you think you're a proper golfer. Maximum duration, one range session, or nine holes on the course in my experience