EU Referendum

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
But we'll have £8.5bn MORE to do it with than we had yesterday

No we won't. With the devaluation of the currency back to 1985 levels and the worst drop in FTSE in ages we have lost more money in total than we have ever put into the EU cumulatively.

We now have far less to spend, and if we fall into recession unemployment rises, then tax revenues fall whilst welfare expenditure rises, leading to more cuts.

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Have to admire those that are saying we need to accept the result and move on. Tell you what though, it certainly won't be easy going over the next few months if the Indy referendum is anything to go by, Scotland still remains bitterly divided almost 2 years later.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have to admire those that are saying we need to accept the result and move on. Tell you what though, it certainly won't be easy going over the next few months if the Indy referendum is anything to go by, Scotland still remains bitterly divided almost 2 years later.

You're dead right, Stuart. And now the bold Nicola is going to reopen all those wounds so things are only going to get worse.

D

Deleted Member 1156

No we won't. With the devaluation of the currency back to 1985 levels and the worst drop in FTSE in ages we have lost more money in total than we have ever put into the EU cumulatively.

We now have far less to spend, and if we fall into recession unemployment rises, then tax revenues fall whilst welfare expenditure rises, leading to more cuts.

So much scaremongering and speculation. The statement in bold is meant to scare us but the people making it conveniently forgot to mention that the £ is trading against the $ at just 1c lower than it was at the end of February.

The exchange rates and markets will bounce back, this drop was always on the cards if we voted out so no great surprise.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
And you trust our government to spend that wisely

And I have no doubt that figure will reduce because of leaving the EU - have you not seen how it hit the markets this morning ?

The markets are already showing small signs of recovery and its still Early afternoon. Even the bbc lass said it was getting the attention of traders

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
So much scaremongering and speculation. The statement in bold is meant to scare us but the people making it conveniently forgot to mention that the £ is trading against the $ at just 1c lower than it was at the end of February.

The exchange rates and markets will bounce back, this drop was always on the cards if we voted out so no great surprise.

£ against € is up 2cents since 8:00am this morning, although down 6cents from midnight last night.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
My children did not say the older generation should not vote - they just rather hoped that they'd vote with future generations in mind and maybe take on board what the current younger generations would want. And not vote for their own short-term (hoped for) benefit.

People in there 50s are not looking at short term benefits (I hope) as I would hope to have at least another 30 years left in me.

I look forward and like all other voters, do what I hope will be best for me and those around me. As I have no crystal ball that's all I can do.

What I'm not is a defeatist, I accept what has happened and will now do all I can were I can make it work.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Just for all the doubters. The GDP dropped to $1.38 back in feb this year. As per the norm, its all bloody hyperbole from the lefties that run news corps.

Sterling began to drop earlier this year due to uncertainty around Brexit. It then recovered over the last month as global markets incorrectly predicted the result. It has since crashed. It is a fact that Sterling in 2016 is at its weakest Vs the dollar in over 10 years and that at one point reached 1985 levels. Not hyperbole, a fact.

It is also a fact that more money will be lost on the markets today than any other day in history, more than the credit crunch, 9/11 and so on.

Again, call it scaremongering, call it hyperbole, call it whatever you want. But they're facts, and it will take years to recover from it. Ironically it's the working class that will get hit first, as they always do.

D

Deleted member 15344

And so it begins.... Morgan Stanley moving 2000 jobs from London to Dublin or Frankfurt.

Friend is a lawyer in London - multinational Corp deals in the pipeline have been pulled - a number of them into the multi millions for UK companies.