Ethics/Privacy Issue

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Truth is that my wife or her colleagues won't need to be worrying too much about what might come their way if (and probably when) their Clinical Director gets wind of what was written! The lass was soooo stupid to write what she did about the CD. Sometimes it is best to keep thoughts unwritten - especially those thoughts that you absolutely would NOT want the subject of your concerns to see.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Since she had to read the printout in order to establish whether to bin it or shred it (it is a hospital where documents need proper control) thus she cannot be blamed for the 'reading'. As the contents mentions her by name she then has every right to act upon its contents.

She did the right thing in passing the printout upstream.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Reading the print out cannot be a problem as it was necessary to ascertain what it was.. I would disagree that it was in the 'Public Domain' as it was on a printer used solely by the group.

IMO the print should be given to the addressee as that is the person to whom it was intended. Any issues contained within it would be dealt with/or not by the addressee. It would be professional not to discuss the content with others.

Last edited:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Two separate issues. The email is not private - no emails sent within a corporate system are, and it looks like there is serious politicking and infighting in the team. I assume 'Sarah' is lining someone up for a knife in the back.

DangerousDave86

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Perhaps it would've been better to read it then put it back, if she read it and kept it to herself then noone can accuse her of anything, she can deny everything. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. There's nothing stopping her reading it though, as mentioned, there's no way of knowing whats on a print until you actually pick it up, if the woman is stupid enough to print it and leave it then it' likely she isn't smart enough to deal with the complaints procedure correctly, probably isn't complaining about anything worth
complaining about, and in the end everything will come round to bite her on the arse.

Touch wood :D

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
One piece of advice a senior staff nurse told me when I was training. "Love many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe."

Can't see anything wrong in what your wife has done but might be wise that she makes sure that she is still paddling. She should also request an urgent supervision session with whoever does them with her to discuss the issues.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
No problem IMO, did exactly the right thing. She read the content then handed it over to her immediate manager because it concerned her. If she had starting making copies and handing it around the place then she could have lined her self up for disciplinary action.