Erik Anders Lang

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Never got the impression Western Galiles did much advertising. Was v surprised to see them on this. My thinking was it was a very private members club that is pretty much invitation only.

Course looks immense on that video.

Don't think they do much advertising, but they generally have quite a lot of visitors through the year. Generally overseas ones to be fair.

If you have never played you should get yourself down for a game, fabulous course.

They were accepting applications for membership over the last few years. Quite a strict application process, proposer, seconder and letters of support. Also it is a " Glasgow" Club and as such there is a limit on the number of members from outside the city that can join.
Bizarrely knew the starter from the video !

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Don't think they do much advertising, but they generally have quite a lot of visitors through the year. Generally overseas ones to be fair.

If you have never played you should get yourself down for a game, fabulous course.

They were accepting applications for membership over the last few years. Quite a strict application process, proposer, seconder and letters of support. Also it is a " Glasgow" Club and as such there is a limit on the number of members from outside the city that can join.
Bizarrely knew the starter from the video !

I'd imagine by the time I am at a stage of being able to justify a 'home' membership in Glasgow and a 'links' membership down the coast it will probably be a much more open club - the way things are going with golf in general.

Of the courses in that area I've only played Glasgow Gailes - which I found to be a bit flat and underwhelming, if I'm honest. Maybe my expectation levels were a bit high.

Dundonald and Western Gailes both look far more interesting & undulating. Will defiantly try and get some golf down there.

albatross2

Visit site
Playing partners have called off the 3rd round in 2 weeks due to the weather so getting my fix in another way. Anybody else follow this guy? What a life ! Travelling the world, playing golf and generally having an amazing time.

https://www.youtube.com/user/eriklang12

He seems like a really genuine bloke and his attitude to the game is just brilliant, not a bad player either. Makes me want to be on the course now ticking off courses on the bucket list

I've played with him and he's a terrific guy. I also show up (very briefly) in his episode about the Longest Day in Golf (the Bandon Dunes Summer Solstice event). I'm the gent who plays with his father... Erik is absolutely down to earth and loves golf. In the Longest Day episode he's playing with Akbar Chisti, who owns Seamus Golf, and who is another great guy with an unbridled love of golf. I had an absolute blast playing in a large group with those guys (and another 9) at Sand Valley in Wisconsin. Spent about 45 minutes with David McLay Kidd talking about golf design, then played four(teen)somes with our whole group including Mike Kaiser Jr. on Kidd's incredible Mammoth Dunes.

What Erik is doing is about his personal quest to explore all aspects of golf, and to help to grow the game. What I love about his work is that it is simply so infectious. If you like golf, how could you NOT be fascinated by his adventures.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Have only heard of him since this thread (Had seen excerts from Skratch Golf before but didn't know it was him). Watched my first full episode yesterday and quite liked him, in fact have added this to my must do bucket list

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
Have only heard of him since this thread (Had seen excerts from Skratch Golf before but didn't know it was him). Watched my first full episode yesterday and quite liked him, in fact have added this to my must do bucket list

I did exactly the same, was immediately on the Arctic Open website to see criteria for entry!!

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I did exactly the same, was immediately on the Arctic Open website to see criteria for entry!!

me too, checked flights as well...... Requirements are not too stringent, but th eentry fee hurts. I guess in the scheme of things, it's not too bad, includes three rounds and two dinner/ presentations. Sorely tempted.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I thought of you when I saw this ! He brought the wood home and even played with it but posted on instagram the other day it had broken so was debating another restore !

They're generally pretty repairable, depending on the break, for instance a split shaft can often be mended. Some people say if it's not completely detached then it's doable but if the two pieces have come apart then don't bother. I had one where the shaft was completely broken in two but had a reasonable length of angled wood to get some glue on so I did it and put a load of whipping at each end and I've used it for a few rounds since without incident.

I did think that the head on Ander's club looked like it had a big crack in it, see about 6.30 into the vlog, if the head has cracked in two then it could be a step too far, especially if the crack was old and not now fitting closely together. He could try a full on epoxy fill with wood shavings mixed in but would have to clean out the old crack first.

GOLFER1994

Head Pro
Visit site
They're generally pretty repairable, depending on the break, for instance a split shaft can often be mended. Some people say if it's not completely detached then it's doable but if the two pieces have come apart then don't bother. I had one where the shaft was completely broken in two but had a reasonable length of angled wood to get some glue on so I did it and put a load of whipping at each end and I've used it for a few rounds since without incident.

I did think that the head on Ander's club looked like it had a big crack in it, see about 6.30 into the vlog, if the head has cracked in two then it could be a step too far, especially if the crack was old and not now fitting closely together. He could try a full on epoxy fill with wood shavings mixed in but would have to clean out the old crack first.

Crow, if your ever touring and fancy a round in west Yorkshire please let me know ! (and bring a spare set for me (y))

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I'd imagine by the time I am at a stage of being able to justify a 'home' membership in Glasgow and a 'links' membership down the coast it will probably be a much more open club - the way things are going with golf in general.

Of the courses in that area I've only played Glasgow Gailes - which I found to be a bit flat and underwhelming, if I'm honest. Maybe my expectation levels were a bit high.

Dundonald and Western Gailes both look far more interesting & undulating. Will defiantly try and get some golf down there.

I think you need to play Glasgow Gailes more than once to "get it" and appreciate it. There are some tremendous golf holes and greens are always nice and true. Welcome at Dundonald just shout.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I think you need to play Glasgow Gailes more than once to "get it" and appreciate it. There are some tremendous golf holes and greens are always nice and true. Welcome at Dundonald just shout.

Agreed re: the Gailes.
And the times I'd played it I had played very little golf for a couple of years prior.

Definitely up for a game at Dundonald.
Would be good to play early spring and we can have a return game at East Ren.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm catching up on a few of these just now. Elie and the sock situation!!!!

Really, sums up the place so much. A course that thinks it is something its not. Quirky average course that shouts when it should talk normally is my opinion.

I'm all for club traditions and following rules, well sensible rules, personally I'd have asked for my green fee back instead of walking around in a pair of knee length yellow socks looking like an absolute breast.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm catching up on a few of these just now. Elie and the sock situation!!!!

Really, sums up the place so much. A course that thinks it is something its not. Quirky average course that shouts when it should talk normally is my opinion.

I'm all for club traditions and following rules, well sensible rules, personally I'd have asked for my green fee back instead of walking around in a pair of knee length yellow socks looking like an absolute breast.

In fairness, I think DJ handled it well and made a big enough mockery of the policy.