Erik Anders Lang

GOLFER1994

Head Pro
Visit site
Playing partners have called off the 3rd round in 2 weeks due to the weather so getting my fix in another way. Anybody else follow this guy? What a life ! Travelling the world, playing golf and generally having an amazing time.

https://www.youtube.com/user/eriklang12

He seems like a really genuine bloke and his attitude to the game is just brilliant, not a bad player either. Makes me want to be on the course now ticking off courses on the bucket list

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Playing partners have called off the 3rd round in 2 weeks due to the weather so getting my fix in another way. Anybody else follow this guy? What a life ! Travelling the world, playing golf and generally having an amazing time.

He seems like a really genuine bloke and his attitude to the game is just brilliant, not a bad player either. Makes me want to be on the course now ticking off courses on the bucket list

is he loaded?

i would imagine you would have to be to travel, stay and play all over the world

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah I watch all of his videos on Youtube. I like it because he is looking at the different sides of golf for a change, like his Pinehurst vids. Most would have just shown them playing the course, but his were more about Donald Ross's house and the short course that they have with Gil Hanse.

Wasn't really fussed by the first two series of Adventures in Golf on Scratch TV that he does, but this season has been really good. Apart fron No Laying Up he is the best thing on Youtube right now.

Redskins21

Visit site
is he loaded?

i would imagine you would have to be to travel, stay and play all over the world

I expect a lot of it is paid for by sponsors. Looks to have a deal with vice and the adventures in golf series is sponsored by United airlines.

Really enjoy his content. Can tell he just loves the game in all it's forms.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I expect a lot of it is paid for by sponsors. Looks to have a deal with vice and the adventures in golf series is sponsored by United airlines.

Really enjoy his content. Can tell he just loves the game in all it's forms.
no one is just going to sponsor you or pay for this without already having a big following, so would have had to pay while he built this up?

Redskins21

Visit site
no one is just going to sponsor you or pay for this without already having a big following, so would have had to pay while he built this up?

I have no idea tbh. He's a filmmaker and was married to Sia (singer) so maybe he knows enough people to back him, or he could be spending a fortune of his own money. Doesn't matter really.

GOLFER1994

Head Pro
Visit site

There will have more than likely been some initial expense by him with his own channel but hosting for Skratch I would imagine would be their expense and it was their venture so to speak. Now he's established, sponsors and ads will probably pay for the majority if not all of it. Not a bad little career

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

Yes - only heard of him the other week via Youtube.

I wasn't aware of his other work, namely Adventures in Golf and Skratch golf. Adventures in Golf was commissioned by the PGA tour and so he has obviously built a fairly decent network of golf people that means he can launch the Youtube channel.

Really stylish and engaging guy. Love that he just carries a wee carry bag around with probably 10 clubs in it (albeit I think it is quite an expensive bag and headcover via Seamus golf).

I was driving yesterday and listened to quite a few of his podcasts (the Erik Anders Lang show).

I would say it sounds like he is not loaded, but takes a fairly liberal attitude to money... basically if he's got any, he spends it trying to make content and get better. He is quite happy for his podcasts (twice weekly) to basically break even and they can be fairly ad heavy. His ultimate goal is to keep doing this and make enough money from it that he can basically maintain it as his only job.

He was married to Sia who basically bought him into Wilshire Country Club in LA. When he got divorced and she stopped paying for stuff, he had to pay his own way and gave up his membership (total spend c. $20,000 pa!). He said that this was primarily so he could focus on making content and he loves to film rounds of golf more than simply playing rounds of golf and he didn't want to be tied down by big fees and feeling like he had to play more and more golf at the Country Club to justify the costs.

The Podcast does have a lot of filler and I think he would be well advised to do less volume and more quality. However the Gil Hanse pod is very good, but quite a few of them are just him chatting for an hour on his own.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Western Gailes youtube video went live yesterday.

Pretty sure some of the WG members will be absolutely livid when they see that he played as a fivesome!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

Pretty sure some of the WG members will be absolutely livid when they see that he played as a fivesome!
wonder when that was filmed then??? was there Aug and Sept and it was decidedly brown all over apart from the greens

GOLFER1994

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes - only heard of him the other week via Youtube.

I wasn't aware of his other work, namely Adventures in Golf and Skratch golf. Adventures in Golf was commissioned by the PGA tour and so he has obviously built a fairly decent network of golf people that means he can launch the Youtube channel.

Really stylish and engaging guy. Love that he just carries a wee carry bag around with probably 10 clubs in it (albeit I think it is quite an expensive bag and headcover via Seamus golf).

I was driving yesterday and listened to quite a few of his podcasts (the Erik Anders Lang show).

I would say it sounds like he is not loaded, but takes a fairly liberal attitude to money... basically if he's got any, he spends it trying to make content and get better. He is quite happy for his podcasts (twice weekly) to basically break even and they can be fairly ad heavy. His ultimate goal is to keep doing this and make enough money from it that he can basically maintain it as his only job.

He was married to Sia who basically bought him into Wilshire Country Club in LA. When he got divorced and she stopped paying for stuff, he had to pay his own way and gave up his membership (total spend c. $20,000 pa!). He said that this was primarily so he could focus on making content and he loves to film rounds of golf more than simply playing rounds of golf and he didn't want to be tied down by big fees and feeling like he had to play more and more golf at the Country Club to justify the costs.

The Podcast does have a lot of filler and I think he would be well advised to do less volume and more quality. However the Gil Hanse pod is very good, but quite a few of them are just him chatting for an hour on his own.

Seems to have a great attitude in relation to golf. Its his life and everything he does revolves around it and what a life it must be. Certainly exciting to watch, never mind be the one playing all these courses!

GOLFER1994

Head Pro
Visit site

I thought that myself but certainly seemed a laugh ! Looked quiet and i'd imagine the board/chairmen or however its run will be looking at it as free advertisement

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I thought that myself but certainly seemed a laugh ! Looked quiet and i'd imagine the board/chairmen or however its run will be looking at it as free advertisement

Yeah I'd think that would be the attraction with the free advertising. In the first video it was mentioned that they could play Royal Troon but they had to film.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
wonder when that was filmed then??? was there Aug and Sept and it was decidedly brown all over apart from the greens

I reckon this one is towards the end of August.

One of our members, Sam, was going down to play with him in Ayrshire - I think Dundonald - and expecting to see him on a future video.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

Never got the impression Western Galiles did much advertising. Was v surprised to see them on this. My thinking was it was a very private members club that is pretty much invitation only.

Course looks immense on that video.