Englands Green And Pleasant Land

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bracknell, Gateshead, Mansfield, Margate, Thamesmead, Uxbridge?? In your dreams, the lot of you ... for gawd's sake, there's no Lewisham in there.

(Ok, I relent and will let you have Mansfield :D)

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Leicester.
Mid-table.
Seems appropriate.

I see Luton is Number 3 and Marsh Farm, where I lived from 1984 to 86, gets are particular mention for it awfulness.
From what they describe, it sounds like it has actually improved since I lived there.

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Leicester.
Mid-table.
Seems appropriate.

I see Luton is Number 3 and Marsh Farm, where I lived from 1984 to 86, gets are particular mention for it awfulness.
From what they describe, it sounds like it has actually improved since I lived there.
Don't put yourself down Voyager..I'm sure there are other reasons....:whistle:;)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Burnley at 25? Should be in the top 3. Luton @ 3, should be at 1. Bradford @ 10. Things must have improved massively.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bracknell, Gateshead, Mansfield, Margate, Thamesmead, Uxbridge?? In your dreams, the lot of you ... for gawd's sake, there's no Lewisham in there.

(Ok, I relent and will let you have Mansfield :D)

Bracknell was well deserved until the last 5 years - it is now unrecognisable and with the estra stuff going on now - should actually get towards mid table!

Carlwm

Visit site
Burnley at 25? Should be in the top 3. Luton @ 3, should be at 1. Bradford @ 10. Things must have improved massively.

Bradford's improving, I reckon, even if there's plenty of room for more. Bags of potential though.

Leeds, however, is all fur coat & no knickers. Lots of money in the city, and some decent bars but still more grim areas than good.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Bradford's improving, I reckon, even if there's plenty of room for more. Bags of potential though.

Leeds, however, is all fur coat & no knickers. Lots of money in the city, and some decent bars but still more grim areas than good.

Bradford improving? Not sure I agree with that. There are large areas that appear to be lawless. That said, there are some very nice parts of Bradford.

Every large city has good and bad parts, and there isn’t much to choose between the bad places.

Carlwm

Visit site
Bradford improving? Not sure I agree with that. There are large areas that appear to be lawless. That said, there are some very nice parts of Bradford.

Every large city has good and bad parts, and there isn’t much to choose between the bad places.

It's definitely less of a dump than it was fifteen years ago, I reckon. It's quite a pleasant place to go for a few beers these days. That said, I agree that there are parts that feel a little dodgy, but as you say, that's pretty much the same everywhere.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

I stayed in a city centre hotel in Bradford. I asked at the front desk for recommendations for where to eat. I was told that she would watch me across the road to the restaurant opposite and to ring her when I was about to leave to come back. Lawless? As a city centre it appeared nice but the locals were feral.

Carlwm

Visit site
I stayed in a city centre hotel in Bradford. I asked at the front desk for recommendations for where to eat. I was told that she would watch me across the road to the restaurant opposite and to ring her when I was about to leave to come back. Lawless? As a city centre it appeared nice but the locals were feral.

I've never felt in any sort of danger in the centre of Bradford. Unless there was some sort of demo going on, I have no idea why the hotel receptionist was so concerned.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Croydon only made 17th despite being the 3rd highest crime borough in London pretty much just missing out on 2nd by 500k. I’m shocked it wasn’t inside the top 10!

Having worked in Aylesbury and high Wycombe areas, they are done lovely spots which I can only assume are being tarnished by the town centre which looks to be going through a regeneration programme.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
The one I prefer to avoid is Coventry.
Walk out of the train station and you see a line of murals of happy smiling faces praising the city.
I wonder why they need to do this.
Once a proud industrial town it's now little more than a university campus.
The one highlight for me was the transport museum and it was free. Now it costs £14.
City of culture 2021-2. What a joke that's been.

Coventry - The Hellhole of Britain (ilivehere.co.uk)

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Liverpool: Situated on the border of Northern England and Wales, it draws the very worst characteristics of both regions, i.e Welsh pig-headedness and Northern self righteousness, a truly toxic stew of humanity.

?
Very harsh on Liverpool, not the accents, they have that bang on, and the ubiquitous trackies, but it's not as bad a city as made out, I actually quite like the place. Rather surprised to see the number of Devon towns in there, right enough it's 40 years since I've been anywhere near there, but still what's gone wrong?